gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 04:11:03 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588149 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2010 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »

Hey, Del, I drove past your home township of Quedgeley, Gloucester yesterday. By satnav mistake in an attempt to get to Cheltenham from our hotel - the Ramada country hotel at Robinswood Hill. Dreadful treatment of vegan so I can't recommend the hotel though the maid service was delicious

You should have called me - I had a spare green teabag available.

I used to play squash and snooker and gigs at the country club. I recall seeing the back of a girl's jacket catch fire on the dance floor when another dancer was a little unattentive with his cigarette. The girl didn't notice so our piano player had a wander across to her and whispered something in her ear. She gave him a look like call that a chat-up line? He shrugged and turned away. A moment later she looked over her shoulder and couldn't get out of her jacket quick enough. Nick was always good at getting girls out of their jackets.

Don't remember the maid, though.

Derek
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:01:40 AM by delboy » Logged

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2011 on: July 28, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »

That reminds me of the time that I was at a freak show and saw a poi dancer smack himself in the back of the head with his fire stick. His hair was long and poofy so his head lit up like a match. Still, better to mess up with the fire baton than the sledgehammer, sword swallowing, ladder of machetes, etc...

I'm having an awful day. I woke up and found that my power had been cut off. It's a long story, but I've been trying to get them to send me a bill so that I can re-set up the paperless payment option through the bank that ate my old bank a few months ago. I've requested a bill 3 times and they just won't send me one. I called the power company again last night trying to pay my bill and the guy told me that I should drop a check off at the office. Anyway, long story short, I wake up in a sweltering house in the middle of summer and have to drive to the head office where a rude bitch informs me that I now owe them another $60.00 because they cut my power off and I still have to use the phone to pay because my new bank hasn't sent me any new checks.   bangh

I'm also having various problems with my plumbing, water heater, internet, insurance, roof, my wife lost her debit card, I lost my cell phone, and I got a standard rejection letter from dead bait 2 today. Also, my grandmother and uncle are both dying. Oh well, when it rains it pours.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2012 on: July 29, 2010, 03:02:37 AM »

Urf - sucks to be you right now, doesn't it? undecided

Reminds me of the last big recession when a friend's bank account was hovering around the zero mark. Can't remember the exact figures, but he did a bit of work to earn himself say fifty quid, but he went overdrawn by about five quid before he had a chance to pay in the cheque, so the bank sent him a nasty letter and charged him thirty quid, which sent him even more overdrawn, a day after paying the cheque in. Then while they were waiting for the cheque to clear, the bank sent him another nasty letter for going overdrawn by the thirty quid they had charged him, and then charged him another thirty quid for the letter. When the cheque finally cleared it had been gobbled up by bank charges and he was even more overdrawn than he had been in the first place. Talk about kicking a guy when he's down. bangh

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2013 on: July 29, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »

I got a rejection for Dead bat 2, too!  Oh well, we're just too good fnord, that's what it is  afro

I had a go at helping out in an under-5's session at work today and it was great fun!  I watched a little boy eat paint right in front of his mum.  That's a sentence I never thought I'd write.The lass I was helping out is leaving work soon so there's a chance that, as well as having loads of extra shifts I might be able to take over the under-5 sessions, which is fine by me.  We had 24 little kids running about and I managed just fine, when apparently we're lucky to get 10 kids in.

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2014 on: July 29, 2010, 10:12:11 AM »

Sounds like my idea of hell, but I'm glad you enjoy it. I think the kids can sense straight away whether the people tending to their needs are right for the job or not, and you sound like you are, Rev afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2015 on: July 29, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »

Rev - it's school hols that's why there's more nippers in. Mum's send em in to keep out of the way of the older ones. I've often watched baby grandson eat paint at baby club - luckily it's non-toxic and apparently more edible than Heinz baby food. I have to say that I try to stop him shoving the brush in his mouth but he's faster than me.  bleh More recently he's taken to painting his hand then running off to the sink. Smart kid really wants water play not painting. Bit of a let down as I'd like to think my descendents would be artists.

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2016 on: July 29, 2010, 03:28:32 PM »

The kids today LOVED water play  grin one little monkey ran out to spray some random little girl, but luckily his mum caught him haha

JonP
Critter

« Reply #2017 on: July 30, 2010, 09:38:21 AM »

Finally did my MAB piece last night. Been struggling with it all week. Just wasn't working at all. Changed the structure and wrote the whole thing in a couple of hours. Now anxiously awaiting feedback.

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #2018 on: July 30, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »

Finally did my MAB piece last night. Been struggling with it all week. Just wasn't working at all. Changed the structure and wrote the whole thing in a couple of hours. Now anxiously awaiting feedback.

Good on yer, Jon!

Funnily enough, having written my story I discovered by chance that another author had the been designated the same letter as me (and had apparently put a heck of a lot of work into it).

Two emails to the MAB editor have failed to receive a clarification (the ostrich response?) and I can't be bothered to follow up any further.

DW Cheesy

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2019 on: July 30, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »

DW, it wasn't G, which I had, or K, which Bec had was it?

And JonP, how dare you write a publishable story in two hours when the rest of us sweat for weeks over ours! And I bet it's a darn sweet tale. Wink

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #2020 on: July 30, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »

DW, it wasn't G, which I had, or K, which Bec had was it?

And JonP, how dare you write a publishable story in two hours when the rest of us sweat for weeks over ours! And I bet it's a darn sweet tale. Wink

No worries Geoff - it wasn't 'G' or 'K'.

And no more guesses please. Better to let this one lie.

DW Cheesy

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2021 on: July 30, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »

Smoothly changing the subject, Rev Austin appears and asks, "Are we having a crit session this next month?"
 Wink

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2022 on: July 30, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »

Smoothly changing the subject, Rev Austin appears and asks, "Are we having a crit session this next month?"
 Wink

Oh bugger Shocked

I forgot to ask the question, didn't I? Could be a bit shaky with it being holiday season, but you never know.

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2023 on: July 30, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »

Well, like you couldn't guess, I'm up for it  afro

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2024 on: July 30, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »