gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 02:11:22 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589575 times)
JonP
Critter

« Reply #2025 on: July 30, 2010, 06:26:46 PM »

And JonP, how dare you write a publishable story in two hours when the rest of us sweat for weeks over ours! And I bet it's a darn sweet tale. Wink

Well, the jury's still out, 'cos I haven't heard back from John P yet. But I have been working on the idea for weeks now in my head. Just couldn't work out how to tell it.

fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2026 on: July 31, 2010, 12:38:31 AM »

Smoothly changing the subject, Rev Austin appears and asks, "Are we having a crit session this next month?"
 Wink

Oh bugger Shocked

I forgot to ask the question, didn't I? Could be a bit shaky with it being holiday season, but you never know.

I'm always in.  smiley

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2027 on: July 31, 2010, 03:14:48 AM »

Holiday season?  scratch

We don't use the word 'vacation' at all. Any time off is called a 'holiday' in the UK afro

Looks like we're three quarters of the way towards having a crit session in August. I'll see if we can rake a few more bodies up with a mass e-mail to the crit group. Better late than never, I suppose afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Bec
« Reply #2028 on: July 31, 2010, 03:31:37 AM »

I can't take part in the August crit. Sorry.
delph_ambi
« Reply #2029 on: July 31, 2010, 04:14:16 AM »

Nor me. This week is earmarked for painting, plus I don't have any stories anyway. I wonder if narrative poems could be included at some point? It's a thought. I know most of the people in the crit group aren't poets, but a poem that tells a story is still a story, and any critique based on its storytelling abilities would be useful. Sometimes poets are an incestuous bunch who only critique and read each other, and lose sight of the fact that ideally they should be read and enjoyed by non-poets.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2030 on: July 31, 2010, 04:22:03 AM »

Although I'm not too hot with poems I'd certainly be interested in reading a narrative one, Delph  afro

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delph_ambi
« Reply #2031 on: July 31, 2010, 05:37:22 AM »

Good. I may try that in September. Ed can always kick me out if he disapproves of an excess of metre.  Wink
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2032 on: July 31, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »

I'm a huge fan of epic narrative poetry. The Lion And Albert is my favourite.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Grillmeat
Critter

« Reply #2033 on: July 31, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »

Well its Mad 70's night for Saturday movies. Silent Running with Bruce Dern and The Omega Man with Chuck Heston.  Nothing like a little self righteous ass kicking in the name of saving humanity from themselves..... Hide your children, lock up your guns and keep the liquor flowing.... cheers

OMG!! Soylent Green is people!!!
Caz
Critter

« Reply #2034 on: August 01, 2010, 06:21:50 AM »

Silent Running with Bruce Dern and The Omega Man with Chuck Heston.

Classic movies, must watch them again, and add Planet of the Apes to make an unforgettable trio.

Watched the Clash of the Titans remake last night, and a worthy film it is. It stays close to the original story line and there's some very cool CGI.  afro

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2035 on: August 01, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »

I went paintballing yesterday and oh boy is my body paying for it now  Cheesy it didn't help when one of my friends shot me in the back at almost point blank range  but he got his when my other friend shot him in the bum 

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2036 on: August 01, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »

went for my usual sunday morning bike ride. On a quiet lane with the wind behind me I can hear a tapping from my rear. (No, not me) and have heard it for a month or so and assumed it was tools, etc in one of my panniers. I am hard of hearing so it doesn't bother me unduly but it seemed to be worse today so I stopped and took the panniers off. Much quieter but I could still hear it. At home I put the bike on a high rack and discovered my rear wheel isn't quite true. The last time I took the wheel off was in Cheltenham just before I rode to meet up with Del. So, Del I rode back to Chester and hundreds of miles since with the brake frequently touching the wheel rim! No wonder I've lost weight.

The wheel probably needs a rebuild - ie all the spokes taken out and start over with the correct tensions. I don't have those skills any more so it's a final brakes-on ride to tomorrow, to the bike shop.

Geoff

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2037 on: August 01, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »

Yesterday we watched Coraline. Excellent effects--I was amazed at the rich detail.

Then last night I went to work at 11 pm for the do-over of the disastrous deployment of two weeks ago. It went much more smoothly and we were done by 3 am. Couldn't sleep when I got home, though, so I was awake until nearly 5 am...  Angry  Got up shortly after 9, so not firing on all cylinders.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2038 on: August 03, 2010, 02:47:45 AM »

Sounds awful. Funny, but I never considered IT workers having to work unsociable hours -- all the ones I've known spend all day playing games and telling people to restart their machines. Life of Riley. You must be in a different league altogether, or doing something horribly wrong afro

On the good news front -- we now have a partner for this year's annual comp! I've just heard back from the editor, and he's all for it. We just have to hammer out a few details before we announce the whole thing smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2039 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:01 AM »

Sounds awful. Funny, but I never considered IT workers having to work unsociable hours -- all the ones I've known spend all day playing games and telling people to restart their machines. Life of Riley. You must be in a different league altogether, or doing something horribly wrong afro

There's a big difference between being on a help desk doing a job that can be classified as "tech support" and being in the software development arena. I've been doing this for a while, though only at two companies, and here's what happens:

* The Sales department makes promises to the customer regarding both features and schedule. The developers then work to create the software to the customer's specifications (there may or may not be a decent requirements document to work from)

* Development ALWAYS takes longer than expected, which then leaves the Quality Assurance folks on the hook for testing the damn stuff in less time than WE planned. The date usually can't slip, so QA is under the gun to make sure it all works according to the sketchy/nonexistent requirements

* The last few days before delivery are known as "crunch time," in which we are making sure the new software plays well with the old data the customers have amassed (don't want it suddenly becoming encrypted or otherwise unavailable due to database changes, for example).

In the case of the company I used to work for, we simply delivered a finished batch of software on some sort of physical medium when the agreed-upon date arrived, and then spent the next year fixing defects for free under the terms of the warranty. In the case of my current company, we supply a web-based service as opposed to a turnkey system, and this service is available 24/7 except for small windows of opportunity in which we are contractually allowed to take the service offline for maintenance and upgrades. These windows of opportunity are specified to occur on the weekends and wee hours of the morning.

Over the years, we've gotten better at producing good documentation and streamlining our processes, but Murphy's Law applies nowhere more strictly than in software development, and something always goes wrong.

On the good news front -- we now have a partner for this year's annual comp! I've just heard back from the editor, and he's all for it. We just have to hammer out a few details before we announce the whole thing smiley

YAYYY!

I don't know what I'm so excited about. I'm 0 for 2 in terms of entering the last two CD contests...  Sad  Hope springs eternal, though...  bleh
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 07:13:23 PM by Pharosian » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 140 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx