gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 10:47:38 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589915 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2055 on: August 12, 2010, 04:56:39 PM »

Sorry -- didn't see your post, Geoff -- hope you have a good time. I'm on my hols ATM, too, in Italy. My only Internet access is via my iPhone, so it makes long posts difficult to write, and it's easy to miss posts.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2056 on: August 13, 2010, 01:39:33 AM »

Wa a race between the meteors and the clouds last night... saw one shooting star then the clouds rolled in. Still, that's one more than I've ever seen before!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2057 on: August 13, 2010, 01:48:31 AM »

I had an interesting night. On the way home I was nearly hit by a car driving on the wrong side of a dark road with no headlights. I managed to swerve out of the way, but then the woman behind me stomped on the gas and rammed me from behind. The asshole that caused the wreck drove off and then the woman who hit me came up to my window and gave me the speech that starts with, "I'm sure you have a license and insurance and everything, but..." It was obvious that she wasn't going to be able to pay for repairs with or without police intervention so I let her go. I'm just glad that all it did was mess up the bumper and turn my exhaust pipe into a crazy straw. My first thought after avoiding the head on collision was that this was one of those gang initiations where people do something stupid and then shoot the first person that says something about it. I've got to get out of the ghetto.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2058 on: August 13, 2010, 06:49:20 AM »

Stuff like that gives me The Fear.  It's like walking past gangs of kids here and they look at you, maybe say something abusive, and wait to see if you offer a comment back.  Keep walking!

It's my friend's birthday today and I've only recently got back in contact with her (lives taking different tracks sort of thing) so I'm going for a quiet afternoon drink with her (Coke, thanks, I feel rough from a party last night still haha), and then tomorrow it's my birthday!  A friend from Nottingham's coming up and I'm have a dungeon party in my house hahah but it's not my house so I can't dress the place up like I wanted to, with binbags on the walls and things, so it might have to be a 'middle class dungeon' instead.  I'm having a 'deviant' theme, and thought about getting everyone to throw their keys into a fruitbowl when they turn up, see the looks on their faces as they try to figure out when the joke's going to stop  grin

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2059 on: August 13, 2010, 02:39:41 PM »

Sounds fun. Happy birthday man. Do something deviant for me. cheers cheers cheers

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2060 on: August 14, 2010, 06:53:35 AM »

Yay -- finally got myself proper internet access on my laptop, so writing posts and catching up on my e-mails is suddenly made much easier. Cold and rainy here in Italy at the moment, but I don't mind. I finally have time to sit and read some books. I'm half way through my first one now, and I only bought it at the airport a day and a half ago afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2061 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »

Finished reading my book this morning. Must be a record for me -- only took about 2.5 days to get through it. Only bought it at the airport on the way here. Now on to the next, though I feel somewhat reluctant to start a new book right now. Funny that, isn't it? It's a bit like you need a cooling off period to get over one book before you start the next.

Probably going to take a look at Leonardo's house tomorrow. I told my wife we weren't far from Vinci, the birthplace of Leonardo. She just looked at me with one of those knowing smiles, like, yeah, I'm not going to fall for that one, fucko -- I'm smarter than that. grin I said why do you think he was called Leonardo of Vinci if he didn'r come from Vinci? Yeah, jog on, she said -- you're not called Ed Da South Shields, are you? Might be, I replied, when I'm as famous as Leonardo De the town five miles from us.

She still doesn't believe me afro

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2062 on: August 16, 2010, 12:54:10 AM »

I'm sort of in a "cooldown" phase, myself, having raced through three books recently. I mentioned in another thread that I was reading Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon. Well, I finished that, and was so impressed I just had to find out what happens in book 2, A World Too Near. Finished that and immediately plunged into Book 3, City Without End. I want to know how things finally work themselves out in Prince of Storms, but I need a rest.  tongue Cheesy

I highly recommend the series to anyone who likes sci-fi with fantastic world-building, a large cast of characters each with his or her own agenda, and lots of conflict.
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2063 on: August 16, 2010, 04:48:32 AM »

Sounds fun. Happy birthday man. Do something deviant for me. cheers cheers cheers

hahaha well, here I am being 'deviant':

I dressed as a corrupt forensics expert (catchphrase: "The crime scene was like that when I got here") and all-in-all it was a wicked night  azn one of my friends gave me a massive, old, book of horror stories called Tales of the Dead, edited by Bill Pronzini (who I've never heard of), and it features loads of ace writers, like King, Bloch, Stevenson, plus others who, like Pronzini, I've never heard of before: Fredric Brown, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro and Barry N Malzberg to name but three.  It has that musty old book smell that always puts me in mind of second-hand bookshops  smiley

Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #2064 on: August 16, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »

Your deviance precedes you, Rev.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2065 on: August 16, 2010, 11:32:41 AM »

Sounds like a very cool party, Rev -- I wish I had friends that did stuff like that in real life.  afro

BTW, I saw Chelsea Quinn Yarbro at the WHC in Brighton. She's a grand old dame of horror. I think she used to write for the Pan horror books backalong, among others. It was interesting listening to her and Tanith Lee talking about the good old days.

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #2066 on: August 16, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »

Looks like you were bobbing apples, Rev - in the toilet!

DW Cheesy

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2067 on: August 16, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »

grin hahahaha

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2068 on: August 17, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »

Struggling with my energy levels... it's the first week back at work after a fortnight off and it's hard, so hard... especially with the rest of the family still kicking their heels. On the plus side, there's no better motivation to write than work...but on the negative side believing that writing is a way out is like believing you'll win the lottery this weekend. Still, if it gets words on paper it's a good thing.

Back on the positive side I've found an old, half-finished, story that could be the basis for my competition entry. Negative side: I don't really want to be distracted from my WiP at the moment.

In other news I caught a couple of pike at the weekend, the dog needs some teeth out, and I've ordered two books by the little known, but extremely wonderful - if late - Robert Campbell. I've also ordered an early James Ellroy. All this despite my intention not to buy any more books until I've read the ones I've got. Oh, I bought Cell by Stephen King from a garden centre, too... It was nestled there amongst the dahlias and venus fly traps.  In my other life I received a "Bravo" from the legendary jazz guitarist Jimmy Bruno for a rendition of Duke Ellington's Satin Doll that I submitted (I take lessons with Jimmy) and I now have been tasked to learn Green Dolphin Street. And most excitingly of all, I finally connected a water-butt to my garage downpipe. As you can see, I live life way over in that fast lane...

Kind regards,
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2069 on: August 17, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »

Careful there, Del -- burning the candle at both ends, by the sound of it afro

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx