News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Sounds good, Rev. :smiley:

We're off out again tonight (couple of gadabouts that we are). MiL is babysitting while we go off to watch Rich Hall in concert, if concert's the right word? :scratch: Expecting it to be a good laugh, anyway. We've seen several other comedians at the same venue and they've all been good.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Cool!  I'm off to see him in a month's time!  :afro:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

Hilarious :2funny:

There was a couple of times when I was breathless with laughter, praying he wouldn't say anything else funny until I'd got a lungful of air. It's one of those acts where you can't remember anything much that he said, but we were laughing most of the time. What really got me into hysterics was when he compared his commanded visit to Buckingham Palace with his trip to Gracelands. It'll be interesting to see if that comes up in the stage show you see, Rev. A lot of these guys do the same routine all around the country, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was different.

Very funny -- highly recommended :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Off to see John Bishop in a few weeks. I'm hoping for a similar evening  :grin:

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

John Bishop is hilarious and his scouse accent is all around us here in Chester so we understand him :)

Talking about comedians repeating their acts - and who can blame them - my inlaws were not laughing so much the second time they went to see Ken Dodd in a month. Not only were most of the jokes the same but the planted people in audience were the same too - you know the people who have to go to the toilet and get ridiculed, etc.

The only stand up comedian I understand has a unique routine each show is Ross Noble.

Russell

I won!  :cheers:

I won the first three books in The Night Huntress series from Gollancz Dark Fantasy Facebook competition.  I'd like to say that it required the application of super human skills in the art of fiction - but it didn't.  All it needed was an email with my name and address and the luck of the draw.  It would appear that I managed that.

If only all competitions were that easy.

I haven't a clue what 'The Night Huntress' books are about – I assume it involves Dark Fantasy – neither do I know if they are any good.  No doubt I'll find out in due course.

Ed

Cool :afro: Congrats, Russell. I hope you enjoy them :smiley:

Rev. Austin

Congrats Russell :D I too won something today by sending an email hahah I entered a prize draw on Dread Central and won a copy of a cool new monster movie called The Blackout!  I want to watch it but I keep suffering dizzy spells so I'm just going to read instead  ::)

Russell

Quote from: Russell on September 23, 2010, 01:45:18 PM
I haven't a clue what 'The Night Huntress' books are about – I assume it involves Dark Fantasy – neither do I know if they are any good.

I was a little curious so took a quick look on Amazon.  One review included:

"The storyline is held together by a series of unbelievable coincidences and its main purpose appears to be to cobble together a series of descriptions of sexual encounters."

Something to look forward to then. :grin:

Geoff_N

Had a classic back yard mistake today. The gutter was full of water and I'd traced the blockage to a downpipe to the water butt. I unscrewed a base plug on the downpipe guessing that accumulated moss and debris off the roof had created a wad of mud. As I unscrewed, the plug rocketted downwards - so did a jet of muddy water ... on to the water but lid, then sprayed in a perfect horizontal corona... all over me!

I'd already cleaned the back windows today - I had to do them all over again. then strip off to load the washing machine.

It was supposed to be a half hour interlude in my writing.

Wife peed herself laughing.

Geoff

Rev. Austin

Here I am!  A friend's taking a look at my computer tomorrow, and I've got all my digits crossed he can fix it/it can be fixed.  In the meantime, making use of my parents' generous nature and using their net connection.  It's funny, but not having a computer for a few days has totally reinvigorated my desire to write.  Like as soon as I couldn't do it I wanted to  :cheesy: here's hoping I get back online properly soon, but more importantly, that my files haven't been wiped  :shocked: stay fresh, peeps! nnneeeyyyyooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Ed

Good luck with it, Rev -- I hope your mate gets it sorted :smiley:

fnord33

I just got back from the Sidewalk film festival. It wasn't as good as it has been the past few years, but still pretty cool. I had to sit through Evil Things (an awful Blair witch type of thing), but Mutant Girls Squad more than made up for it. I never thought that I would get to see a Japanese splatter film on the big screen. It just shows Birmingham has come a long way. :smiley:   
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Russell

Geoff this is mainly for you and your SF but I am sure others will find something of interest... http://www.futuretimeline.net/

Russell

Geoff_N

Thanks, Russell, a very useful resource for any writer of the future!

Geoff