News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Quiet here, all of a sudden. Happens every year at around this time -- two and a bit weeks left until the comp deadline and everybody's off hammering away at their opus :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

My friend and I burst into hysterics when we saw it.  We were upstairs, and the landing went around the corner of a bedroom and we were like "Hmm, the third bedroom must be behind this one" so we walked around the corner and there, in a sort-of room that was actually part of the corridor (a doorway but no door), was a toilet, then in the doorway next to it, the third bedroom.  And the whole place was decorated with dark green carpet and this vile cream and green floral spongy wallpaper.  It was impressive, in its own way haha

How the other half live!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

Quote... everybody's off hammering away at their opus

Or not, in my case.  :'(  I've hit the word limit and am nowhere near the end. In fact I'm nowhere near the end of the middle... I figured 5k was pushing it a bit for me these days. Combined with the fact that this is amongst the busiest periods of work I've had in years (alas, I don't get paid overtime, I just get a warm feeling and a racing heartbeat) I just don't see me making it. I do have an old story that might fit, but I have a horrible feeling that one might be too long as well. I'll check later.

The joys of being verbose...

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

Kill those darlings! haha  ;) I'm hoping to get mine sorted in time, but I have a horrid feeling the extra info I'm putting in will feel inserted, as I'm struggling to foreshadow it convincingly.  HMMM HMMM and DOUBLE HMMM.

jingold

Okay... starting to panic.  Haven't settled on a story or an idea or anything yet, let alone written it.

I WILL write at least 1k today on a potential story for the contest.  I will NOT waste the entire day playing games and hopping from website to website.

delboy

QuoteKill those darlings!

Heh. I know what you mean, Rev. Trouble is, it would be like a massacre I'd be slaughtering so many of them to hit the word count.

I'm moving on to plan B. I have a tale from the vaults that I recall being quite fond of, I just need to reread it and see if it passes muster. I suspect it'll need some work...

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

HellsBelle

Quote from: Rev. Austin on October 12, 2010, 04:32:12 AM
My friend and I burst into hysterics when we saw it.  We were upstairs, and the landing went around the corner of a bedroom and we were like "Hmm, the third bedroom must be behind this one" so we walked around the corner and there, in a sort-of room that was actually part of the corridor (a doorway but no door), was a toilet, then in the doorway next to it, the third bedroom.  And the whole place was decorated with dark green carpet and this vile cream and green floral spongy wallpaper.  It was impressive, in its own way haha

How the other half live!

Ummmmm.... :scratch:.....how did you get into my house.......
Just think of me as June Cleaver.....only with tattoos.....

Geoff_N

I've no plot, no setting, characters are all wrong, fictive dream is a nightmare and the beginning is at the end, but I've finished it! Guess I'll have to start again.

elay2433

QuoteOkay... starting to panic.  Haven't settled on a story or an idea or anything yet, let alone written it.

Sounds like me. I've thought about submitting an older story that I ran through the crit group a long time ago (with a different ending). Don't know if I'll do it though. Feels a bit like cheating.

I'd much rather sub something brand new, but...

Rev. Austin

Just come back from my first band practice in two years and I'm partially deaf, but it was worth it!  Lots of wonky freak-outs mixed with melodic rock and electronics, I think the kids're gonna dig it  :grin: We're calling ourselves Handsome Bastards hahahahah

desertwomble

Quote from: Rev. Austin on October 12, 2010, 06:14:04 PM
We're calling ourselves Handsome Bastards hahahahah

Do kids these days understand what irony is?

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

fnord33

Of course we do. Young people listen to classic rock too.  :bleh:
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Rev. Austin

Quote from: desertwomble on October 12, 2010, 11:57:19 PM
Quote from: Rev. Austin on October 12, 2010, 06:14:04 PM
We're calling ourselves Handsome Bastards hahahahah

Do kids these days understand what irony is?

DW :cheesy:

Scunthorpe's famous for it's irony!  Our football team, for instance.  Plus, we do have one of the biggest manufacturing plants in ohhh wait.

delboy

QuoteJust come back from my first band practice in two years and I'm partially deaf, but it was worth it!

Excellent!! I hope you can get to include some rockabilly in the mix somewhere.  :dance:

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

I do have a certain fondness for rockabilly so who knows?  :cheesy: