News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Brrrrrr! Piggin freezing here, today -- I've not felt the need to turn the heating on until now, but the cold shock of sitting on this leather chair wearing just my boxers and T-shirt this morning quickly prompted me to hit the select button on my heating programmer and set it to 'auto'.

I feel happier about it with half a tank of free oil out there to help us through the next few months. Did some work for a guy last week who's switching from oil to natural gas, so had no further need for the 300 gallons in his tank, so I've been gradually ferrying it to mine in 45 gallon drums. It's hard work, and smelly, but at a value of about five or six hundred quid, I couldn't very well pass it up.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Just need to get a selection of hunting rifles, handguns, and ammo, Ed. Clean and oil them, wrap them in oilskin and bury them somewhere safe. Stock up on tinned food and water and kerosene for the lamps, maybe some medical supplies, and you'll be ready then for a winter of discontent...
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

I can supply handguns. Neighbour's emigrating next month and desperate to unload a lot of gear. She has two akita shepherds too (originally bred in Japan to kill bears) and can't afford the £6,500 each to fly them out to Oz.
As for the handguns, I'll get an inventory. I know there's an old Roy Rogers with the original red plastic on the handle.

Rook

The alarm clock woke me this morning (a rare occurrence, i usually get up five minutes before), in the middle of a bizarre dream. (Another rare occurrence, as I rarely remember my dreams.)

I was trying to get werewolves to bite my mother's old cat. Not kill it, just bite it. Can a cat be infected (or whatever) by a werewolf? (A cat that has been dead for more than  ten years, I might add, though it looked healthy enough.)  :scratch:

And if this were not strange enough, I was in no way concerned about the fact that not only was I manhandling a rather tempermental feline, I was surrounded by slavering werewolves.  :idiot:

Hmm...Maybe there is a story in there somewhere. Vampiredogs VS Werecats! Are you Team Fido or Team Puss?   :cheesy:
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Pharosian

Quote from: Geoff_N on October 14, 2010, 06:55:29 AM
She has two akita shepherds too (originally bred in Japan to kill bears) and can't afford the £6,500 each to fly them out to Oz. 

:shocked:  Holy CRAP! That's about $20,000 US for the pair of dogs! Surely it's nowhere near that expensive for a human to fly to Oz from the UK, is it? Why so much for the dogs?

Quote from: Rook on October 14, 2010, 07:56:26 AM
Vampiredogs VS Werecats! Are you Team Fido or Team Puss?   :cheesy:

Team Puss, definitely!  :bleh:

starktheground

Hey guys! Long time no post. I hope nobody minds me dropping back in; it's been about a year. Maybe longer (I've been busy). Anyway, I really miss the Doom Flash challenges and the mature atmosphere here, especially because my usual haunts have really gone downhill lately. Anyway, I missed you guys and the impact this place had on my writing.

How has everyone been? Good I hope.  :afro:

delph_ambi

Pharosian

delboy

Mature atmosphere? Man, we need to put that right as soon as possible!
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

JonP

Hey, welcome back! Love the idea of there being a mature atmosphere here :)

Geoff_N

Quote from: Pharosian on October 14, 2010, 08:26:28 AM
Quote from: Geoff_N on October 14, 2010, 06:55:29 AM
She has two akita shepherds too (originally bred in Japan to kill bears) and can't afford the £6,500 each to fly them out to Oz. 

:shocked:  Holy CRAP! That's about $20,000 US for the pair of dogs! Surely it's nowhere near that expensive for a human to fly to Oz from the UK, is it? Why so much for the dogs?

It's more trouble to fly dogs, especially on split flights lasting over 24 hours, then holding them at arrival airports. She's only taking one of the dogs - found a home for the old one.

Ed

Oh no -- I hate that nursing home smell. Pee, Dettol and rich tea biscuits...

Welcome back, Angela :smiley:

Quote from: delboy on October 14, 2010, 03:52:23 AM
Just need to get a selection of hunting rifles, handguns, and ammo, Ed. Clean and oil them, wrap them in oilskin and bury them somewhere safe. Stock up on tinned food and water and kerosene for the lamps, maybe some medical supplies, and you'll be ready then for a winter of discontent...

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this earlier -- how much oil you'd actually have to stockpile for it to last a couple of years, let alone how much diesel you'd have to store to run a vehicle, or the colossal amount of food you would need to feed a family of four. Back a few years ago, when there were all those fuel protests, it really brought home how quickly civilisation breaks down when the fuel runs out. Within a matter of days we were facing food shortages. Within a month I reckon we'd have been out playing hunter-gatherer.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

If that happens, I'm making a beeline for my neighbour's ducks.  I don't even like duck but I'll gladly devour them as emergency meat, if only so I stop getting woken up by their incessant waauughh wauughh wauugh noises.  Like the bloody Penguin from Batman.

edit: But in other news...  :grin:

My friend's starting to hold regular poker nights, and the first one was last night - he taught me how to play it a few weeks ago, and last night was just for fun as my other friends were very rusty with the rules too.  I decided my poker face is a goofy grin, since I can't help getting one everytime I think I've got a good hand hahah they'd eat me alive in Vegas!  ::)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

I've only ever played poker a few times, but it was always thoroughly enjoyable. I recall a very good film featuring Matt Damon about a young poker player. Think it was called Rounders. Well worth a watch.

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

I haven't really done anything today, yet I feel as if I've achieved something.  :idiot:   :cheesy:  I did stay up until the early hours writing my story for the CD comp (I was going to enter The Flood but it's -- ha ha -- drowning under the weight of all the extra stuff and ideas I've piled into it) and then finsihed reading Black House by King and Straub, and I thought it was very good.  Then this morning I knocked out a piece of flash fiction written in second person (but you don't see the world through a man's eyes) and wandered down to my local Asda.  Now I'm just waiting until the next episode of Ben 10: Ultimate Alien comes on Cartoon Network  :grin: yeah, so I'm 31 and watch cartoons?  What of it?  ;)  oh and I also 100% finished formatting No More Heroes yesterday (I've been using Open Office and it kept making really stupid alterations to the file) so now I just need to wait until my partner in crime Bill gives it the thumbs up and I can send it to Doc Pus!  Phew.  Oh, and I'm also getting used to doing this -- instead of this - in stories haha
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.