gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 11:35:51 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589175 times)
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2235 on: October 17, 2010, 11:40:26 AM »

Oh, and I'm also getting used to doing this -- instead of this - in stories haha

Yayyyyy!  cheers

I slept in for once, then got up and made omelets and toast for breakfast. Mmmmmm! 

And it's finally getting down to the wire, so today I plan to finish my CD comp story. Maybe.  Wink
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2236 on: October 17, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »

Should be an interesting comp this year -- we've got one or two entries from names you'll recognise afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2237 on: October 18, 2010, 02:45:09 AM »

Went to the cinema and watched Wall Street, thinking the original film was good, and Oliver Stone has had enough time to think about the sequel for it to be a barn stormer.

Talk about dull. My wife slept through most of it.

This one, perhaps predictably, centres on the greed of bankers, and the recent Wall Street crash that led to the credit crunch and world wide recession. But it doesn't really get stuck into the subject matter. It just skims along on the surface, taking little jabs at this and that, so ends up having nothing profound to say about any of it. Meanwhile, the second thrust of the story lies with the MC who's trying to build a life with Gordon Gecko's estranged daughter. Gecko's just got out of prison, and he's looking to get back on top, and ostensibly wants to get back together with his daughter.

What can I say -- it's just dull and predictable, all of it. My advice is to buy it on DVD in the sales and use it to cure insomnia on the nights you can't get to sleep.

Snoresville.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #2238 on: October 18, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »

Sounds pretty dull. I think I'll pass.

Today was a busy day for me with doctors appointments and various errands. I thought becoming a housewife and full-time mom/writer would be more relaxing. Not even close!!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2239 on: October 19, 2010, 03:05:34 AM »

Yep, kids keep you busy alright. You get a few hours peace each day when they go to school full time, but not before. One of my wife's friends came to see her a while ago, when the kids were small, and said, "I know you're happy with your little life, but it wouldn't be enough for me." Implying there wouldn't be enough to do in the day to keep her busy, I suppose. She never did have kids, so she'll probably go on thinking there's nothing challenging about it.

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2240 on: October 19, 2010, 06:05:14 AM »

Just finished my CD comp entry, and it's 92 words over the limit!  Easily fixed, I'm sure  Wink

Got the week off work (not by choice - I wasn't given any shifts!) so plenty of time to do other bits and bobs, but today I'm working at a school over lunchtime for my other casual job: playing games with kids and teaching them the value of teamwork, etc.  It's an infant school, which I much prefer working in.  Went to a secondary school with a load of ten-year-olds a couple of weeks ago and some of them were right little so-and-so's!

I'm also going to try to fix my guitar this afternoon - I replaced the strings and cleaned some of the rusty screws, but now the action's ridiculously high on it, and the bridge is alarningly raised above the body, and I don't know quite how it got like that  rolleyes thankfully I've got a spare guitar that I'm not going to fiddle with haha

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2241 on: October 19, 2010, 06:42:35 AM »

I just bought a new guitar! A Gretsch. Look out for a You Tube video soon  dance

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #2242 on: October 19, 2010, 12:23:22 PM »

Yep, kids keep you busy alright. You get a few hours peace each day when they go to school full time, but not before. One of my wife's friends came to see her a while ago, when the kids were small, and said, "I know you're happy with your little life, but it wouldn't be enough for me." Implying there wouldn't be enough to do in the day to keep her busy, I suppose. She never did have kids, so she'll probably go on thinking there's nothing challenging about it.

Definitely the words from one who has never had kids.  grin
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2243 on: October 19, 2010, 12:48:30 PM »

Still on the subject of kids  smiley the ones I 'worked' with today were brilliant - three groups, from ages 4 to 6, and they were all very well behaved.  I even impressed some of them with my Humongosaur impression from Ben 10 hahahah I definitely prefer working with younger kids, and not just because I watch the same cartoons as them  rolleyes

Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #2244 on: October 21, 2010, 10:02:09 AM »

Definitely the words from one who has never had kids.  grin

I laughed at that comment, too.  She could take my son for a week and get back to me on the whole "wouldn't be enough for me" business.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2245 on: October 21, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »

Should have my next band practice tonight!  I say 'should' cos there's a part of me that's terrified my friends aren't as excited about doing it as I am  rolleyes mind you, their last band only ended a few months ago so they're not as desperate to play as I am  felt the creative juices flowing all day, so wrote some new riffs...very exciting!  I started reading through the Glitch antho submissions the other day (properly) and I've already put most of the stories in a tentative 'yes' folder.  This might be tough haha

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2246 on: October 23, 2010, 05:28:52 AM »

Off to Derby today to catch up with my friends there!  Printing out some Glitch subs to read on the train journey too, so that should keep me busy  Cheesy 

Bec
« Reply #2247 on: October 24, 2010, 06:07:18 PM »

Had a great day today. One of my fave horror writers, Adrian Chamberlin visited and delivered my copies of M is for Monster! Woohoo! Ade is a lovely chap and we had a great time chatting about writing and stuff. And I signed a book for the very first time! Oooh, I felt like a proper writer an' all.  dance
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2248 on: October 25, 2010, 02:42:16 AM »

Sounds like a good day, Bec afro

Rev -- how's editorial duty working out? Are you enjoying it, or is it a bit of a chore?

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2249 on: October 25, 2010, 04:27:29 AM »

I'm enjoying it!  I honestly think the crit sessions here have really helped me out - immeasurably, one might say  afro the sheer volume of stories I have to read is really daunting though, especially because I don't want to have to leave people hanging for a response.  But, other editors for the Library have had far more stories than me to deal with, plus I've been telling people I plan to start sending notifications out around Nov 15th (so given myself a month after the deadline to read through everything) so it should all be all right, really.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx