News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Cool  :afro: How many stories do you reckon you have to read for the antho?
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Robert Essig

For an anthology I find that I have to read the stories as I get them.  To wait until after the deadline is far too daunting for me.

I imagine I would begin reading like this: :smiley: and then this:  :P and then:  :/ and then:  :bangh: then, eventually, this:  :cheesy: before hiding behind the couch in hopes that the stories will go away:  :hidin:
Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.

Rev. Austin

Maybe that's where I've gone wrong Robert - I think I'll follow that pattern pretty soon  ;)

I've got about 70 stories left to read.  Hurray!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Rev. Austin

I'm at work and I've just seen that I've been mentioned on the flyer for our Halloween Pumpkin Day event as 'local horror writer wayne Goodchild' :D a very pleasant and unexpected surprise!  Last year, I wrote a short story on a pumpkin to be displayed in the gallery, and I'm going to have a go at making something again this year.  My pumpkin's also being displayed on the 20-21 website! --> http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/NorthLincs/Leisure/arts/20-21VisualArtsCentre/ActivitiesandEvents/

Rook

That's very cool, Rev!  :afro:  The kids look like they had a ball!
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Rev. Austin

If there was any danger of my job looking like the coolest one in the world, that's currently being trampled by my having to fill in 70 pages of "competancy" checks.  What winds me up is some idiot in the council was paid to write this guff.  Arrrgghhh!

starktheground

Quote from: Rev. Austin on October 26, 2010, 08:13:53 AM
I'm at work and I've just seen that I've been mentioned on the flyer for our Halloween Pumpkin Day event as 'local horror writer wayne Goodchild' :D a very pleasant and unexpected surprise!  Last year, I wrote a short story on a pumpkin to be displayed in the gallery, and I'm going to have a go at making something again this year.  My pumpkin's also being displayed on the 20-21 website! --> http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/NorthLincs/Leisure/arts/20-21VisualArtsCentre/ActivitiesandEvents/

Thats so neat! Love it!

Rev. Austin

Thanks :D I'm working on my pumpkin for this Saturday at the moment - it's THE PUMPKIN OF UNSPEAKABLE HORROR and it's spraypainted black.  People are invited to look inside but the contents "are not for the faint-hearted as they may offend your sense of decency" haha - I'm filling it with cut-out heads of daytime chat-show hosts  :grin:

Bec

That sounds simply lovely, Rev! Can you include cutout heads of Ant & Dec?

Rev. Austin

I've got Kilroy, Jeremy Kyle, Vanessa Feltz, Trisha, Paul O'Grady, Melanie Sykes, Des O'Connor, John Stapleton, David Dickinson, Alan Titchmarsh, Anthony Cotton, Richard and Judy, Philip Schofield, Holly Willoughby, Fern Britton and Matthew Wright in it at the mo - I feel bad about putting John in there as I quite like him, but there's no room for favouritism!  I also daren't put any of the Loose Women in because I want to scare people, not kill them.

fnord33

I've had the most uncommonly wonderful day. First, I left for work eight minutes late and still got there a minute early despite a traffic jam. I thought that my car Mp3 changer was broken, but it miraculously started working. I found out that the crazy incompetent chick who scared me got fired. I had a tip average of about 25% all night long. After work I went to pick up some booze and found a great bottle of wine on clearance and they had my favorite kind of sushi. I also tried squid salad for the first time and loved it. Then, on the way to meet my wife at her friend's house I noticed that there was a sideshow in town. I managed to convince her to stop playing quarters and come see the show with me. When we got there, Skeptic was the opening band (they're the best local punk band in our city) and after the show the lead singer came up to me and gave me some free shit because he knows who I am. The sideshow was great and I got to meet the illustrated penguin. They sold me 4 DVDs of their shows for 25.00. Then I cane home and found out about two new cool shows. I'm on fire today. I need to go buy some lotto tickets or something. Tomorrow I'll probably find out I'm dying or something, but for now I'm as happy as I've been in years. Yes, it is sad that being paid for the work I do, not having my shit break, being able to afford good wine, having something to do after work, etc.. are not regular occurrences in my life.  I'd rather not think about that. :bleh:
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Rev. Austin

Nice one fnord  :grin: My pumpkin's been going down a treat at work today.  Tonight I've got a Halloween party and tomorrow night I've got...a Halloween party!  It's such a chore being popular  ;)

Ed

The good days wouldn't seem so great unless the majority stunk, I suppose. Yesterday was looking odds-on to be a good day -- I was working only seven miles from home, reached a point at about 3:30pm when I couldn't go any further without somebody else making a decision, so I was happy as Larry (if I ever find out who that guy is I'll give him a fat lip, BTW) and on my way home, when the phone rang. Internal fault on a heat pump I installed about a month ago. The electricians can't handle it, so I have to do it. So I drive past my house and end up fifteen miles the other way to look at this heat pump. Turns out it's a waste of time -- it's an electrical fault in the system that is down to the electricians. They can't fathom it -- it's their job -- they installed it, but they can't find the fault. I end up having to trace it for them. Finally found it. Didn't get home until 6:30pm ::)

Had three Daves here today -- Dave the digger, Dave the driver, and Dave the dozy pillock painter we've been waiting for since May. Couldn't resist shouting out, "Dave!" for no particular reason other than to see them all look up at the same time. Small things... I know....
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Clocks fall back an hour tonight -- I had forgotten until a news report reminded me a minute ago. Dark days ahead :/ I hate this time of year. Roll on spring.

starktheground

... I need a little of fnord's luck and Rev's popularity!  :grin:

Quote from: Ed on October 30, 2010, 01:40:03 PM

Had three Daves here today -- Dave the digger, Dave the driver, and Dave the dozy pillock painter we've been waiting for since May. Couldn't resist shouting out, "Dave!" for no particular reason other than to see them all look up at the same time. Small things... I know....

That's great! The things we find amusing, huh? Last night, I got the giggles for a good hour when my eight-year-old started narrating my 19-month-old's endless gibberish. It was hilarious and nonsensical, and I don't think anyone but me would have enjoyed it so much, but it was still fun.