gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 08:26:17 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590075 times)
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2295 on: November 13, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »

After not being able to have a band practice in two weeks cos the power in the place we use inexplicably stopped working we can all finally get back on with making beautiful, noisy music this next week - hurray!  I CAN'T WAIT!  AND I've managed to start another band!  We're called Phyliss, after a lady from Greek mytholgy who was turned into an almond tree (and it was one of my nana's names) and we're sure to be something absolutely no one on here is into grin unless anyone's keen on stoner doom...?  No?  Alright then I'll get me coat  Wink

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2296 on: November 13, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »

Band practice! What's one of them, then?  Wink

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2297 on: November 13, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »

Funny thing is, I used to be in an improv band, yet we still had practices  Cheesy

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2298 on: November 13, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »

My nipper's battle of the bands didn't go very well, sadly -- they went out in the first round. He was really gutted, because he didn't get to play his guitar, and he's got Smells Like Teen Spirit down pat. The kid who usually plays the bass had a hissy fit before they went on and demanded that he play lead for the first set, otherwise he wouldn't do the gig. My nipper ended up having to play this kid's bass, while the other kid cocked up the opening guitar riff of Sweet Child of Mine, and then launched into the second song (something obscure that nobody but him has ever heard). Sad.

I told my nipper they shouldn't let anybody hold them to ransom like that. His reply was that nobody else in their year plays the bass. My advice was to get a keyboard player to cover the bass. None of the bands had keyboards, which is a shame, because there are loads of kids who play them, and I think keyboards would extend their repertoire immensely. Not to mention showing Mr Hissyfit he can be replaced. Time will tell, I suppose. Playing bass lines on a keyboard is doable, isn't it?

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #2299 on: November 13, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »

Worked for the Doors--hell, when Jim was a bit too, well..., himself, Ray did triple duty (Keyboard, bass lines, and lead vocal).  Just goes to show that we're all replaceable--

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2300 on: November 14, 2010, 03:51:04 AM »

Bass is the perennial problem. Lead guitar is cool (the coolest!), drums are cool. If you can sing and are at all extrovert then being a singer is great. But bass... Why would anyone want to play bass? That said, a lot of people do, just not as many as the other rock instruments.

You can play the bass lines on a keyboard, as J said, the Doors did it, as did scores of jazz organ trios! But I'm not sure how well it will work in a Guns'n'Roses / Nirvana type band. Part of the attack is the thumping of those bass strings.

One of the old answers was to persuade the singer to play the bass, tell him it's easy (not strictly true) and play him some old Thin Lizzy, Cream,  Police, Rush, or even Beatles videos!  Otherwise the best bet is to keep practicing and get good enough to attract a bass player from out of their year.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2301 on: November 14, 2010, 05:44:04 AM »

I listen to loads of bands that don't have a bassist (not all loud - some pretty jazzy ones) and generally I don't think bass players are essential, unless you only have one guitar and it's not using a heavy distortion or being run through a bass amp (or you absolutely MUST have a constant rhythm section  Cheesy ).  Sounds to me like Mr Hissyfit needs to learn his place - I bet he wouldn't like to be replaced at the last minute! 

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2302 on: November 14, 2010, 05:50:43 AM »

Thanks for the input, guys -- I appreciate it. The kid is also the singer (not bad, either), so I guess he wants all the limelight. He's told the rest of the band they're all crap. Sounds like a real prima donna to me. If I was them I wouldn't have him anywhere near me, but I think they lack the confidence at this stage to go it alone.

I wish I could persuade my nipper to do some of the singing, too, maybe do a bit of backup in the chorus, because I reckon he could do it, but I haven't heard him sing since he did a part in a play they put on in junior school. I don't want to be a pushy parent, though. It's hard to know how much to interfere. They're still very young, after all.

Personally, I think the bass is really cool. Right from when I was young I always picked up on the bassline of the records I liked, over everything else. I can see why lead guitar is king, though. A lot of songs become hits on the strength of the guitar riff alone.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2303 on: November 14, 2010, 07:04:55 AM »

Buy him a White Stripes album for Christmas. There was just a guitar and drummer IIRC. Wasn't a bad sound at all - a White Stripes tribute band would be very cool!

Derek

Robert B. Parker
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2304 on: November 14, 2010, 07:12:10 AM »

Personally, I think the bass is really cool. Right from when I was young I always picked up on the bassline of the records I liked, over everything else.

And I think we've found the band a bass player!  dance

Derek

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2305 on: November 14, 2010, 07:48:47 AM »

Buy him a White Stripes album for Christmas. There was just a guitar and drummer IIRC. Wasn't a bad sound at all - a White Stripes tribute band would be very cool!

Derek

One of the songs I suggested they played at the battle was Seven Nation Army -- apparently, the brother just learned enough to play what bass they needed for the song. That's why it's so simple. It's very effective, though.

Personally, I think the bass is really cool. Right from when I was young I always picked up on the bassline of the records I liked, over everything else.

And I think we've found the band a bass player!  dance

Derek

Yuh, I don't think I can pass for thirteen these days, and I'd probably get arrested for trying afro

LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #2306 on: November 14, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »

i can pass for 13 -- but i dont play bass.... sorry.
 maybe next time?
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #2307 on: November 14, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »

I know some musicians that act like they're 13. Does that help?  grin
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2308 on: November 14, 2010, 03:52:31 PM »

AC/DC's Angus Young still dresses up as a schoolboy at 50 (or however old he is) - I reckon Ed could get away with it  huh

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2309 on: November 14, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »

hahaha  grin

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 [154] 155 156 157 158 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx