News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnord33

Caz- I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I lost one a couple of years ago to kidney failure. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

fnord33

Anybody looking for a new TV? I've been obsessing about which one to buy for over a year now and I finally found the perfect deal. There are a few left if anybody's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170569559045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Broke as I am it's very hard to rationalize spending 1,000 on a TV. This was actually supposed to be a joint gift for me and my wife from last year. I started out thinking I'd spend like 500, but after staring at all the figures and comparing prices the numbers stopped seeming so large. I guess that's why they do it. I figure if I can sell all the other stuff in the bundle I will only have spent about 900-1,000. So, yay!!!  :cheers: That's over with. Now I just have to worry about finding stuff for everybody else.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

delph_ambi

My husband and I put a strict spending limit of £5 total on gifts for each other. We've stuck to that for years. It works and is such a relief! All that stressing over gifts is a thing of the past. We spend a bit more on the kids, but not huge amounts. Any cash over goes on food and booze.

Geoff_N

When we spent 600 smackers on a one week school ski trip for our son we realized we could spend the same on year-long subs to fitness centres for each other. So that's been our Crimbo present to each other for the last 20 years. Of course I'm still expected to fill her stocking, so to speak.

LashSlash

Quote from: Geoff_N on November 29, 2010, 08:53:56 AM
.....Of course I'm still expected to fill her stocking, so to speak.
.... good thing it only comes once a year!

Caz

Thanks Jsorensen, Geoff and Fnord. I miss the little blighter, the place seem kinda empty without her.

Finally got to do some work today. It was one degree above freezing and they said it was okay to build one of the boundary walls. Funny how many rules get broken when it serves a purpose. 
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

starktheground

Quote from: LashSlash on November 29, 2010, 09:22:59 AM
Quote from: Geoff_N on November 29, 2010, 08:53:56 AM
.....Of course I'm still expected to fill her stocking, so to speak.
.... good thing it only comes once a year!

:2funny:

Me and the hubby are focusing only on the kid's presents this year. We spent a lot of money on our honeymoon last May, so it's only fair the kids get spoiled a little now!

Rev. Austin

I try not to go on about the snow because all my friends' Facebook updates are about the bloody weather, but this morning...wow!  It's literally this deep outside my front door:

From here, to:

Here (give or take a couple of cm  ;)

I honestly don't remember seeing it this deep before.  Cor!  When I opened my front door to check, a lady was walking down the street so I had a chat with her and she said there're no buses or anything, and the lady I'd be working with today (in the café section of the gallery) called to say she wasn't in, so I probably shouldn't bother going in either.  Also just chatted to another lady I work with and she's trying to reach the gallery to double-check if we should go in, but no one's answering yet and there should be someone there already.  Impromptu day off?  Don't mind if I do!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Pharosian

It's snowing here, too, but it's just a few piddly little flakes that make the grass look as though it has dandruff...  ::)

delph_ambi

Steady snow here. I trudged through it all to get to the dentist this morning. None of the dental nurses had been able to get through, as many of the roads are blocked and the trains aren't running, but at least the dentist was there and fixed my broken tooth. Hurrah! Then trudged back through more snow. This is my backyard at the moment. Very severe dandruff:

Rook

I wish we had snow today; supposed to have rain and a wicked wind all day...  >:(

I'm glad you were able to get your tooth fixed, Delph.  :smiley:
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

delboy

Beautiful sunny day here in the west country. Clear blue skies, bit of a chilll in the air, but the blackbirds are feeding on the lawn, the dog's relaxing in a patch of sunlight coming through the window, and I'm about to go on a two hour conference call.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

We've had hardly any. I'm really disappointed, more than the kids, actually. I'm currently working about twenty miles from home, in the middle of nowhere, and it's all B roads to get there. The client said the last harsh weather we had, back in January/Feb, the ice on the hill outside had left them cut off for eleven days. It was snowing hard when we got there yesterday, but as the day went on it was thawing as quickly as it hit the ground. We've had no more since, but it's been perishing cold.

What I'd like to see is a good two or three feet of the white stuff, plus high winds. That should shut everything down for at least two weeks. Nice :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

No, not nice. I haven't earned a penny this week. I only earn money if my music pupils can get to me. As I'm completely cut off, they can't.  >:( I'm sending lots of subs off in the hope of making up the shortfall, but we all know how hit and miss that can be.

delboy

Found an old song of mine tucked away on my hard drive. It precedes the days of CDs and you can hear a bit of mobile phone interference as I transferred it (years ago) from cassette to digital. Haven't written a song in decades (bit like my story-writing :huh:) but I thought I'd post it on t'interweb for posterity and highlight it here as I know there are a few muso's in the cafe.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9944090

Cheers,
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker