gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 18, 2017, 01:24:59 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590245 times)
Rook
Critter

« Reply #2430 on: December 06, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

No, no, Geoff, I always mix the two. Nasturtiums are my favorite; great stir-fried!  afro

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Caz
Critter

« Reply #2431 on: December 07, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »

Still too cold for work so I went down the library today. It's a big old place and as I had time to kill I thought I'd take more of a look around, and that's when I found them. Shelves crammed full of graphic novels. cool All the usual superheroes were there as well as many I've never heard of. Marvel Zombies who would've figured. I didn't know where to start and that's when I found it, 'V For Vendetta.' I love the movie so I grabbed a copy of the book. No more than a few pages in I burst out laughing, a hand grenade that was a grenade shaped like a false hand, classic stuff. grin     

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2432 on: December 07, 2010, 03:43:17 PM »

I love my local library. I'm not sure it's going to survive the latest council cutbacks thogh. Hope so...

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2433 on: December 07, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »

Somebody said that this cold spell is set to last right up until Christmas. If that's so, it's going to play havoc with work. Right now I'm trying to figure out exactly what's got to be done before Christmas, and what's going on immediately after. I've already had somebody try to book me for the 4th of Jan, but I was hoping to have two weeks off, so I'm trying to get out of that one. I doubt I'll get away without going in sometime, though. I look after three hotels, as well as working for three builders and several other regular clients, so somebody is bound to call me up. I could use the break, though.

I was contemplating taking the family off to Sharm el-Sheikh, because a friend absolutely raved about the resort, saying he spent most of his time out snorkeling in the ocean. He said the all inclusive deals are cheap and the food's plentiful and good. I was all set to book up a week there after Christmas, but in light of the recent shark attacks there, and the death of a German tourist, I'm not quite so keen anymore scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2434 on: December 07, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »

I'm in a bit of a weird mood tonight because I recently found out that The Guardian ran an article that makes mention of a friend of mine, Rik Clay, who was partially responsible for creating the conspiracy theory about the 2012 Olympics and an "alien invasion".  Rik committed suicide two years ago, and we're all still trying to figure out quite what caused him to do it, and it's just really weird seeing his name in The Guardian, and realising just how many people followed him, and how into his beliefs they all were.  It's weird.  Really weird... It is an interesting article though, if anyone fancies having a read: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/05/olympic-games-2012-alien-conspiracy-theory

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Rook
Critter

« Reply #2435 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »

My sympathies, Rev. I lost a relative to suicide two years ago, and we're still figuring it out. I know I still have moments where I'll run across something that reminds me of him, little everyday things; it must be very strange to read an article like that.

It was an interesting article, though. Regardless of the 'truth', what a strange choice for mascots.  scratch

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2436 on: December 07, 2010, 06:25:10 PM »

It's very easy to see how people can get 'caught up' in conspiracies and associated things.  I did some research for a story a while ago and found tons of references to 'seven' in the Bible, so much so that I started to question what it must mean.  Another friend of mine is heavily into numerology and that sort of thing.  I often wonder what it is that tips someone over the edge of 'interest' to obsession'.  Finding loads of little "coincidences" (like the mascots) doesn't help some people.  It appears once you find a link from one supposed random thing to another, the links become easier to see (once you're in that  mindset), and the true craziness is down to those who refuse to 'see' it.

delph_ambi
« Reply #2437 on: December 08, 2010, 04:03:39 AM »

The human brain is hardwired to see patterns. That's fine, and often useful. Unfortunately if it becomes obsessive, it's not fine. Anyone who's interested in this sort of thing should read what to my mind is the best satire/exposée/call it what you wil, of this sort of thingl -- Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum". Long book, but hugely entertaining. It has Freemasons, Illuminati, Rosicrcucians, Numerologists, Templars, vanity publishers -- the lot. Great fun.
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2438 on: December 08, 2010, 04:10:32 AM »

I'm sure I've heard of that book Delph...I think it might ave been mentioned to me by a friend at work, whom I've mentioned before on here, who's a Born Again Christian, and she's a really nice person, but genuinely believes all those aforementioned groups exist (in the case of the ones that likely don't) and that they all control the world...somehow  rolleyes she's absolutely terrified the Freemasons will get her if she openly decries them.  Mind you, she also firmly believes that reading demonic horror will cause you to get possessed, so, you know...

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2439 on: December 08, 2010, 04:13:48 AM »

The secret groups to really worry about are the ones no-one's ever heard of.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2440 on: December 08, 2010, 04:19:13 AM »

A fellow Met Society friend, Leslie F Musk, threw himself off a Pennine cliff about 10 years ago. All my climate researcher friends in the Manchester area knew him well and were - and still are - shocked. Les was in his 30s, already published several respectable climate books and articles, and ran the UMIST FRMetS branch. Apparently he owed a measly thousand quid to a money lender, who'd sent thugs round to threaten him. He was a secret gambler. So sad. I can't imagine pressures getting so bad I couldn't just uproot and make another life (especially in a warmer climate), but till it happens you never know do you?

delph_ambi
« Reply #2441 on: December 08, 2010, 04:49:32 AM »

she's absolutely terrified the Freemasons will get her if she openly decries them. 

Nah, the Freemasons are pussycats. I should know, I married one.
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #2442 on: December 08, 2010, 05:12:28 AM »

Nah, the Freemasons are pussycats. I should know, I married one.
.... there you go --- they ARE everyhere, arnt they?
Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2443 on: December 08, 2010, 05:44:06 AM »

Good grief!

And I've got a ZING! for Del  grin

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2444 on: December 09, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »

Ugh.... brrrr.... up at 4.30am today for a four hour train trip to the frozen north (and back again this afternoon!). Deep joy. I've packed a good book, my iPod, and a Tesco's Pain au Chocolat.

Derek

Robert B. Parker
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx