gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 06:28:52 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590049 times)
Caz
Critter

« Reply #2595 on: December 29, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »

Got a rejection through today. This is it...

"Thank you for sending us “The Cell.”. We appreciate the chance to read it. We regret that we must decline it for the anthology, however.

The core idea of the story was interesting, but the pacing throughout was a little too slow for us, and the action was confusing at times.

If you have anything else that fits our theme, do send it our way.

Thanks again. Best of luck with this.

Sincerely,

Triangulation: Last Contact"

As rejections go I thought it was pretty good, they were kind enough to point out where the story is going wrong so that was cool. Now I'm not sure what to do. I could slash up the story a bit more and try to make the pace faster, but as to making the time travel aspect clearer, ain't got a clue. Could always bolt a flux capacitor to the side of the phone and see if that helps.
Who ever thought time travel would be so complicated. scratch 

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Woody
AnnoyEd

« Reply #2596 on: December 29, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »

posting here has proven unwise. ed will keep your stuff after he bans you. only he knows why.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:54:26 PM by Woody » Logged

Critter

« Reply #2597 on: December 29, 2010, 07:08:09 PM »

I find it odd they found it slow. And it confuses me they found it confusing. scratch There is no pleasing everyone, though...

Keep sending it out, Caz!  afro

smiley

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2598 on: December 29, 2010, 07:25:55 PM »

Yep, I don't think it needs revising -- just keep sending it out. If another makes the same observations then see what you can do to change it, but don't take this guy's word as gospel on its own. smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #2599 on: December 29, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »

Thanks J. What doesn't kill us, right?  grin
Caz
Critter

« Reply #2600 on: December 30, 2010, 04:12:20 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try a few more place before I think about revising the story. I'm determined to stick to a semi-pro market though, can't see the point in getting next to nothing for the story after putting a lot of time into it...which could explain why I have so much trouble getting published. Hey ho, I've got a gun and I'm sticking to it. afro

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
jingold
Critter

« Reply #2601 on: December 30, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »

Thought some of you might be interested....

Shock Totem is starting their flash contests again on Saturday, January 1st.  You have to sign up on the contest thread to see the prompt, then you have one week to write a prompt-based flash piece.  All the entries will be posted shortly thereafter, and everyone votes on their top three (similar to the contest here).  Feedback is encouraged as well.  See the rules and stuff in the forum announcements section at www.shocktotem.com

This is always fun, even with the time crunch.  The best thing is getting an entirely new story within a week and tons of feedback on it.  There are also prizes for the person who wins, plus that story goes into a selection for publication at the end of the year.

Hope to see some of you there! smiley

Bec
« Reply #2602 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28:54 AM »

Thanks, Jingold. I might have a go...
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2603 on: December 30, 2010, 10:33:05 AM »

Thanks, jingold! Depending on the prompt, I'd like to try my hand at this. Now that I've had a chance to read some of the stuff published in ST (thanks to Ed's gift), I may be able to write something suitable.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:40:25 AM by Pharosian » Logged
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2604 on: December 30, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »

I might have a crack at it, too  Wink I haven't done any writing at all since before Christmas so it'll be nice to jump back in with both feet.  Is that even a phrase?  If not, it is now!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #2605 on: December 31, 2010, 11:52:20 AM »

Snow came down again and the highs today might get into double digits but the low is in teh negatives...my it's cold.  Been trying to rearrange the house (my wife will get a hobby room and I will get an office; the boys will be living in the basement--sounds like the setting of a story already).  But the weather slows things down as well as the work schedules--hard moving three rooms around, painting, cleaning carpets, and etc.  Now the whole house is a mess, I got lesson plans to do, papers to grade, and hopefully get enough time to watch teh Packers on Sunday...But when its all done life should be a lot better...hopefully everyone else is dealing reasonably well with the weather and planning on a good New Year's...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2606 on: December 31, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »

Today is my wedding anniversary. Falling as it does on New Year's Eve, my husband never forgets the date.  rolleyes  That's the plus side.

The negative side is that having a quiet meal at a restaurant on New Year's Eve is tough to accomplish. So we decided that today we'd have our meal out in the afternoon. We went to a classy place nearby and had a lovely meal. When I saw Ohio Maple Syrup Cotton Candy on the dessert menu, I had to try it. I haven't had cotton candy in ages, and the stuff one gets at fairs is always pink or blue. This was pure white, and delicate as a dream.

We also ordered two desserts to go, which we'll have later this evening: cheesecake topped with crème Anglaise and a huge fresh strawberry… mmmmmm! 

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2607 on: December 31, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »

Snow came down again and the highs today might get into double digits but the low is in teh negatives...my it's cold.

We'd had snow on the ground for a couple of weeks, but yesterday when I got up and looked out, it was all gone! Today the high was in the 60s! It felt like spring had arrived!  Shocked What a turnaround from just a few days ago. We sure get crazy weather here.
Woody
AnnoyEd

« Reply #2608 on: December 31, 2010, 07:41:42 PM »

mustn't have my stuff here, ed keeps it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:54:21 PM by Woody » Logged

Global Moderator

« Reply #2609 on: January 01, 2011, 05:26:06 AM »

Happy New Year one and all  cheers May it be a good one and may all your resolutions be kept. I've already broken one of mine (to spend less time on t'internet... lo and behold here I am! But as they have finally fixed my web access my excuse is I'm catching up on a week's worth of gossip!).

Did a pretty good gig last night. My ears are still ringing. Went to bed at 3.30 and was up at 8 for the dog. 

That was the festive season.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx