News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsorensen

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

delboy

How is that Kindle? I reckon one of these years I'll end up with an electronic book reader. Maybe not for a while - still got half a dozen year's worth of paper books to plough through first.

Back at work and struggling  :/  How come I'm not like those folks on The Apprentice who are driven and motivated by business? I'm driven and motivated by a well phrased sentence, a good plot, and a nice guitar line. That, and keeping a roof over my head, of course.

In other news I was half-thinking of doing an Open University history course. Kind of undecided - according to their website application I don't have enough spare time. This is probably very true, and any spare time that I do have could be better used knocking out well phrased sentences, good plots, and nice guitar lines, so I doubt I'll do it. But there's always something good in learning and I think such a course might benefit me. I don't quite understand the "you don't have enough time' thing either. In real life, the girl had about one hour of lectures in the thee weeks of uni leading up to Christmas, has none at all in January, and just one assignment to complete during that period. I think the word count is something like 5k - so just the length of a medium short story (sure, I appreciate that when it comes to such assignments it's about the research behind the content, too... which is, come to think about it, rather like medium length short stories). How does that equate to the 16 hours a week that the OU say I'd need?

Hey ho, back to the grindstone.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

We bought our nipper an experience day, driving off road 4x4, from Virgin Experience Days. That was back in September -- it was his main birthday present. They sent a voucher through the post with the contact number of the centre on it. I rang and tried to book the day, but was told there wasn't a junior one available for a couple of months. A bit crap, but there you go. I waited and then rang them again, and was told they wouldn't be running one until March. No longer relevant to the birthday, methinks, plus in the meantime he's been driving 4x4s and quads on a friend's farm, so I decided to get my money back and get him an iPod Touch instead.

Nope.

It turns out they refuse to give you a refund unless it's requested within seven days of purchase. "It's in the terms and conditions you ticked a box to say you read before purchase," says the girl at the other end of the phone. Nice one -- yep, you caught me there. I didn't read the five or six pages of small print before buying, even though it turns out I should have. You see, I made the fatal mistake of trusting Virgin not to rip me off, whereas it seems to me that was in fact their intention by the mere inclusion of such a clause in their terms and conditions. Tactics worthy of the lowest scumbag conman, IMO. What a bunch of bastards. :pissed:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delph_ambi

I'd take further advice on this from trading standards if I were you, Ed. Seems to me like you bought something and they have failed to 'deliver' it within a reasonable amount of time, regardless of what may or may not have been in the small print.

jsorensen

Ed--sorry about your situation.  I am never surprised, however, just how far corporate worlds will go to stick it to you...and, it was a gift for your son (shame on them).  Hope something comes of it--I agree with Delph, seems "they" didn't live up to a promise...they should be accountable...

Delboy--Kindle's great...gets tons of free classics--rereading The Great God Pan and Hyde...
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Caz

First day back at work and there I am at 8:30 am moaning about how dark it still is. The guy I'm working with says well maybe that's it as he points to the sun. I agree, it sure does look like a partial eclipse, but it's not though. It's just some cloud formed into a perfect circle. Yeah he says, must be. What's the first thing I see on the evening news when I get home? There's been a partial eclipse over England...whoops :bangh: 
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

Had a bit of a result today.  I wrote a review of the junior 4x4 on the virgin website, posted something similar to what I wrote above, saying don't make the same mistake I did... and subsequently received an e-mail from their customer complaints department offering me a refund :cheers: I'm both surprised and relieved :smiley:

In other news, I had to go into work yesterday, to return a tool I borrowed to do my hall floor, which was a pain in the arse because they said, "Ooh, while you're there, I don't suppose you could put down a couple hundred metres of underfloor heating to let us on, could you?" Course, I feel obliged to do it, so spent a couple hours there on site, last night, for the purpose of buying a few day's peace. Irony of ironies, today, lunchtime, I get a panicked phonecall saying some dolt of a chippy has nailed my underfloor heating pipe using the very tool I went there to return, which resulted in me putting down the underfloor heating that he nailed. So I ended up losing half my day today going back there to fix it and refill the system. ::)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Blimey Ed, sounds like you helped set in motion a terrifying chain of events hahah

Band practice wasn't as productive as we'd hoped, since we've had a week or so off, but we did end up getting some stuff recorded, which was an unexpected bonus.  Which also means that soon the world will get to hear how I play the blues hahahah
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

Cool, I'm looking forward to that, Rev!
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Caz

It's warmed up, snow's gone, would be plain sailing at work if it wasn't for the incessant rain. :tdoff:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

It was dreary as hell today, wasn't it ::)

Rev. Austin

Here it is, the moment you've all been waiting for!  :2funny:

http://www.myspace.com/phylisswilldestroyyou

Three tracks of gratuitous guitar abuse by my band.  I do vocals (lead on She's A Vulture, chorus bits on the others) and lead guitar (my "technique" is 'skronk', which is 'the use of discordance and dissonance to create rhythm', fact fans!)  ;) If I don't horribly upset your musical sensibilites I will consider myself a very lucky man  :grin:

Bec

I listened to She's a Vulture... Lovely, Rev! My son listens to music similar to that, so I'll let him listen to it when he gets home. And the backing singers were awesome too!

I have to be honest though: I still prefer Freddie Mercury. Sorry. But your singing did cheer me up.  :smiley:

Rev. Austin

You really are too kind Bec hahaha  ;)