News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

I'm not buying books at the moment as I already have so many to read... but I still pop into the library to borrow stuff. D'oh. Anyway, today's visit saw me borrowing nothing but breaking my fast and buying four books! All paperbacks that have been withdrawn from the library system, all in great condition, and all at 30p. A Peter Straub, a Joe Lansdale, a Walter Moseley, and Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier. Thought I'd better buy something with some romance in it as that's what I went in for. So just over a pound for four great novels. Even saw one of my books on the western shelf, which was nice. I assume the others must be out on lend...

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Oh God -- Cold Mountain is the bleakest book you'll ever read. It's just unrelenting misery from start to stop :/
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

It's okay, Ed, I've read The Road.

But let's hope it's not too bad - I could have plumped for a Richard Layman with that last 30p...

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

Facebook is down! Perhaps I can get some serious writing done now!

delboy

I haven't logged in to Facebook in ages. I only joined because a club-owner I was negotiating for a gig with couldn't remember his own email address amd instead asked me to contact him through Facebook. So I created an account. I thought it was going to be great as the kids use it like every minute, posting messages, photos, chatting, getting upset because they're misconstruing things, or because soemone's status says single when they're like meant to be in a relationship with Carla... It was clever enough to locate a guy I used to be in a band with and hadn't been in contact with for a while, so that was nice, and one of my (legit - as opposed to someone I only know through Facebook) friends is (legitimately) friends with Steve Earle's sister, and Steve Earle is one of my all time favourite musicians...which pretty much means nothing, but is kind of nice. All of that said, I discovered that pretty much nothing happens in Facebook other than lots of people trying to be witty, sometime succeeding, sharing old photos of their glory days, and promoting the occasional gig/event but not much else. So I keep forgetting to login. Maybe I should explore it more, but I suspect it's a time vampire.

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

It IS a time vampire!  What a great description!  I have a friend (well, my mate's girlfriend) who does "Vaguebooking" which is when someone posts something like 'OMG I CANT BELEVE THAT JUST HAPENNED!!!11' in order to get everyone to pay them attention, when all they've done is burnt their toast.  It's simultaneously tragic and funny, and ripe - RIPE! - for parody.  ;)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

OMG thats like so lame innit :cheesy:

In other news, today it was announced that after a fifteen year stint at the top of the charts, the name 'Jack' is no longer the favourite name for newborn boys in the (Y)UK -- it's Mohammed. Can you believe that? WTF? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a multi racial UK, where all people are fairly represented as minorities, but when the whole culture of my country has changed to a state where it doesn't resemble the country I grew up in, it makes me sad. If you walk down through the middle of town on a Saturday, you hardly hear an English voice. Surely something has gone horribly wrong, hasn't it? :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

JonP

Hmmm. If you look down the list, how far do you have to go before you get to the next Moslem name? Surely that list simply reflects the fact that a very large majority of Moslems call their sons Mohammed, which kind of skews the stats a bit. Doesn't mean a lot on its own.

Geoff_N

Quote from: Ed on January 14, 2011, 03:37:32 PM

In other news, today it was announced that after a fifteen year stint at the top of the charts, the name 'Jack' is no longer the favourite name for newborn boys in the (Y)UK -- it's Mohammed. Can you believe that? WTF? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a multi racial UK, where all people are fairly represented as minorities, but when the whole culture of my country has changed to a state where it doesn't resemble the country I grew up in, it makes me sad. If you walk down through the middle of town on a Saturday, you hardly hear an English voice. Surely something has gone horribly wrong, hasn't it? :scratch:
How did I guess that this was a Daily Mail quote and massage of the statistics? Mohammed is only top if you include all its various different spellings as one name. That's like saying Eleanor, Elena, Helena, Elinor, etc are the same name. To put the Mohammed stats in perspective and to reinforce Jon (=John, Jonathan, etc) point, there were over 350,000 boys born of which just over 7,500 were called variations of Mohammed.

Newspapers, eh?

Pharosian

I was told once by a native Spaniard that by law in Spain, all girls receive the name "Maria" as their first name. They are then forced to go by whatever middle (or subsequent) name their parents give them.   :idiot:  Religion does weird things to people, whether they're Mohammads or Marias.

Kerr

Hmm, that sounds a lot like the Greeks who like to call all women Madie, then give a little chuckle. Makes you wonder about all the various connotations the name might have for them.

Ed

Quote from: Geoff_N on January 14, 2011, 05:02:09 PM
Quote from: Ed on January 14, 2011, 03:37:32 PM

How did I guess that this was a Daily Mail quote and massage of the statistics? Mohammed is only top if you include all its various different spellings as one name. That's like saying Eleanor, Elena, Helena, Elinor, etc are the same name. To put the Mohammed stats in perspective and to reinforce Jon (=John, Jonathan, etc) point, there were over 350,000 boys born of which just over 7,500 were called variations of Mohammed.

Newspapers, eh?

Ah, I didn't know it came from the Daily Mail (alarmist bunch of prats), I'd have taken it with more of a pinch of salt if I'd known. Thanks for setting the record straight, Geoff. :afro:

Rev. Austin

Well that's it for me.  I'm moving in with my friend tomorrow morning, and then (fingers crossed) into somewhere else at the start of Feb, so my internet access is going to be rather sporadic for a while.  See you chumps on the other side!  :grin:  :afro:

Ed

Rev. Austin

Thanks Ed!  I'm looking forward to FINALLY getting all my crap out my parents' garage  :cheesy: 31 years old and half my stuff's still in boxes... ::)