gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 07:56:27 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589642 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2700 on: January 15, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »

My kids are your age give or take a couple of winters, Rev, and half my garage, attic, sheds, and under-the-stairs are full of their stuff. They sometimes say I can just bin it, but it includes musical instruments, folios, exercise books from infants to uni, photos, decades of contents of Christmas stockings and so on. I can't chuck things like that out. I'm a natural hoarder and wish my parents had been the same. Suppose one day I'll bag it all and cart it to their houses. Then they can make the recycling decisions.

Best of luck, Rev.

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2701 on: January 15, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »

When I moved out of my parents' house, aged eighteen, I was going to a one bedroom flat, which had one small cupboard, mostly filled with a hot water cylinder. My stepfather, while I was getting together my stuff to take with me, started piling old toys and comics from the attic next to it. When I said I didn't have room for it at the flat, his answer was, "Well we don't want it here, do we."  rolleyes

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rook
Critter

« Reply #2702 on: January 15, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »

That sucks, Ed.

My mom has old holiday cards I made for her from a billion years ago, and I keep telling her she should throw them out... she won't!

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2703 on: January 16, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »

Did my usual Sunday cycle into Wales for a paper in pouring rain today. Two hours. One problem came to light (twilight) after this icy winter: the new potholes look no deeper than a shallow puddle after a downpour. I was so soaked - head was wet in stripes through my helmet, rest of body through perspiration, that I needed a shower when I arrived home. In spite of what it sounded, the ride was exhilirating smiley

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2704 on: January 16, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »

Good stuff, Geoff! I went out for a few rides during the Christmas break and discovered a scary reduction in fitness levels. This morning it was (and is) blowing a gale so my Sunday ride was done on the motorbike!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2705 on: January 16, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »

I thought I had it bad being stuck in all day doing paperwork, but I must admit I'd much rather be here in the warm and dry pricing a job than out in all that wind and rain doing anything. You two must genuinely love being cold and wet I don't understand...

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2706 on: January 16, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »

I'm with you, Ed! While I know I need to get more exercise, cold wet weather is always an inhibiting factor... as are the summer's high heat and humidity.  rolleyes
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #2707 on: January 16, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »

I'd love to live in Florida right now.  If only I had enough money to make that move.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #2708 on: January 16, 2011, 01:16:26 PM »

Lived in Florida and beating the cold is an upside to it, but the palmetto bugs terrified my cat...the hurricanes terrified me...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2709 on: January 16, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »

The presumed awfulness of wet and cold while bicycling or hiking disappears if you dress appropriately. After half an hour I was so warm I had to stop and take my second shirt off. There's that old saying: there's no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing. In any case, the adrenalin rush, the freedom from being inside, the being alone with Nature...

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #2710 on: January 16, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »

the being alone with Nature...

You were alone with her, too? She told me I was the only one!  huh

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #2711 on: January 16, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »

I have a horrible history of sinus issues and they seem to go away in Florida...and some other beach-like areas.  I've heard Florida is God awful in the summer, but as long as my sinuses get better I'd likely care less.  Now finding the money to make such a move is a whole other issue LOL.  Besides, in PA we have stinkbugs...which might be the most horrible creation ever next to the green flies in Jersey and ticks. 

Also Florida has reefs.   I am a huge fan of saltwater fishtanks and seeing it in nature is even bigger for me.  But then again hurricanes scare the crap out of me too.  Maybe somewhere like clearwater would be nice.  Or up around that area where there is more baseball, as that's a huge passion as well.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Rook
Critter

« Reply #2712 on: January 16, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »

Besides, in PA we have stinkbugs...which might be the most horrible creation ever next to the green flies in Jersey and ticks. 

Oh, no-- the chiggers are ten times worse than the ticks and flies. Ten times. You go into the Pines, damn it, you are grateful if you only come out with ticks and flies...  hiding

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #2713 on: January 16, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »

chiggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I once dedicated a whole chapter of a novel I began to the horrors (oh the horrors) of chiggers...the books was awful, but the sentiment stays the same...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2714 on: January 17, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »

It's a function of getting old, but a chap famous in my field of geography and education has just died, and he's younger than my tender 63 years. Keith Hilton was head of Geog raphy at Chester uni and the author of many text books. I collaborated on some of them and I was project manager a Cheshire from Space resouce package for teachers. Keith was my generation but smoked very heavily. I was with him once when Princess Margaret visited the uni. She took him into a small stock cupboard. She reached into her handbag and Keith wondered what was going on. She took out a cigerette lighter and asked for one of his ciggies cos 'They' wouldn't let her have one! He'd be thinking of that while he coughed up into the ether. Good luck mapping out the heavens, Keith.

Geoff

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 185 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx