News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

You can't expect to get away with smoking heavily into old age -- you'd be in a very small minority once you got there. I'm so glad I managed to stop and stay stopped, must be coming up four years now. Best thing I ever did. My only regret is that I didn't manage it sooner. Sorry to hear about your friend, Geoff.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rook

My sympathies, Geoff.

You can't always get away with smoking in your youth either, though. One of my aunts stopped by thirty and came up with metastasized lung cancer in her early fifties. She's fighting now, but it is a matter of getting as far as she can-- her daughter is due with her second baby in the spring, and the first is a year and half...   :(

Mind you, the  &#*@ doctor should have caught it earlier, when you have a woman with a history of chronic bronchitis and heavy smoking and all it took for a diagnosis was an x-ray, when she finally complained of back pain....  :pissed:
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Ed

I was kinda hoping I'd stopped in time to avoid lung cancer, but bearing in mind the crud stays in your lungs for about seven years after stopping, I've still got three year's worth of tar working against me at this point. Hey ho -- gotta die of something, I suppose. TBH, though, I had a few lungfuls of asbestos when I was about eighteen, so that's likely to get me if the cigarettes don't. I might confound them all and shoot for a sclerotic liver instead -- at least that ought to be fun along the way :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Caz

I'm still smoking, silly old me, but I've cut down from 30 a day to 10, can't seem to knock those last few on the head though. Still if the smoking don't get I'm sure something else will. So far the Gods have throw at me a car crash, big one, a collapsing gable that buried me, a exploding gas cylinder and ensuing fire, dying on the operating table and some boggy ground that tried to suck me under, waist deep in that one. Ho hum, time for another sacrifice me thinks. :smiley:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

Urgh, yeah, I remember the vicious cycle. The fewer you smoke, the more precious they become, and the more it seems like you're depriving yourself of something you love. The thing is, the only thing that actually keeps you smoking is the state of mind you've grown into as a smoker -- you make yourself dependent by saying to yourself it helps you concentrate, or it helps you relax, etc. But the only reason you feel like you can't relax or concentrate is because you're suffering nicotine withdrawal symptoms. Same with the after dinner cigarette -- everybody else in the room is satisfied after eating a nice meal, but you're craving a cigarette. What's that about?

The only thing that stopped me smoking (and I tried everything else available for years) was the Allen Carr book, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Best £12 I ever spent. I highly recommend it. Funnily enough, I'd never heard of it until I mentioned on this forum that I was dreading trying to stop smoking again. I had set myself a date, and was counting down the days, but I put it off a few weeks while I read the book, then threw all my lighters, ash trays, tobacco, filters, papers, in the bin and never smoked again. Not even a drag of one. Worth a try, Caz :afro: (boring book to read, BTW, but you'll get through it easily enough)

jsorensen

Had smoked for 24 years and quit last Wednesday--tough, tough, tough--but I'm working through it--biggest problem is that it's wrecking havoc on my ability to focus on writing (need to work on that...).  Lots of reasons to quit-won't mention mine, but one that is important is that I don't like something other than myself telling me what to do and when...
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Ed

Quote from: jsorensen on January 18, 2011, 04:40:50 PM
Had smoked for 24 years and quit last Wednesday--tough, tough, tough--but I'm working through it--biggest problem is that it's wrecking havoc on my ability to focus on writing (need to work on that...).  Lots of reasons to quit-won't mention mine, but one that is important is that I don't like something other than myself telling me what to do and when...

Good luck with it.

I quit without using patches or any other sort of supplement, because the book said it only prolongs the agony. One of the things that most helped me was knowing the pangs only last about five minutes each, and then they're gone for a half hour or more. If you recognise it for what it is -- a nicotine craving -- and don't feed it with anything (and I mean anything) they gradually abate/you get used to them. I had to keep myself occupied, though. I couldn't sit at a computer for quite a few weeks -- did a lot of DIY during that time. I'd just work until I dropped, every night. It does gradually get easier, though :afro:

Geoff_N

We spent Tuesday looking after baby Oliver again. I have a cardigan with pockets. I keep a toy hamster in one pocket. Oliver always likes to check it's there even if that day he doesn't play with it. I'm getting to like being a grandpa. Pity it still means I get to sleep with a grandma!

Caz

I've stopped smoking a few times, never for more than a day or so. Must try again, give that book a go, as I do notice the bad effects the cigs are having these days.

fnord33

I think I quit 6 times before it stuck. It's been a couple of years now and I only want one occasionally.  ;)

I was in an Old Navy today. They are going out of business and selling everything half off. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out there wasn't anything in the store I would wear and I was wandering around when I saw the whole family of mannequins from the commercials (you know, the ones where they rip off the Fuccons). So, I all but ran up to the store manager and asked how much. He said they weren't for sale. I begged. He said no, same as always. I don't know how many of you have ever tried to buy a mannequin for any reason, but it's damn near impossible. They're a controlled substance. It would be cheaper and easier to buy a rocket launcher, blow a hole in the building and steal the damn things. Why is that? It's easy to find drugs, weapons, hookers, or assassins, but fiberglass people are off limits.  :tdoff:

Also, I found something that will take wine out of clothes. I spilled two glasses on a new white shirt the other night. Somebody had left some Espro sports cleaner at the bar so I gave it a try and it actually worked. The whole front of my shirt was soaked with Cabernet and now I can't tell it from any of the others.  :smiley:   
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Caz

Quote from: fnord33 on January 20, 2011, 07:00:49 AM
They're a controlled substance. It would be cheaper and easier to buy a rocket launcher, blow a hole in the building and steal the damn things. Why is that? It's easy to find drugs, weapons, hookers, or assassins, but fiberglass people are off limits.  :tdoff:

Excellent. :2funny:

Ed

Yep -- mannequins cost a fortune, apparently. I think it's something to do with there only being two or three manufacturers in the world.

BTW, I take it you know white wine works on red wine stains? I think you've got to get to it before it dries, though. I once chucked a whole big glass of red wine over a brand new pale beige carpet. Quickly grabbed a cheap bottle of white and emptied it on the stain, then soaked it all up with some kitchen roll. You can't see even a hint of a stain. Smelt like a pub for a while, but there you go. :afro:

Geoff_N

Yep pouring white on red wine stains seem to work. Sadly, not the other way around.

fnord33

Huh, I'd never heard that. I've thrown away a lot of shirts because of wine stains. I'll have to try that some time. Thanks.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs