gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 10:14:38 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588888 times)
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2730 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »

Had to shovel the driveway before I left home this morning. Unlike the snow last week, which was light and fluffy, this stuff was wet and heavy. Perfect for making snowballs and snowmen, etc., but I had to get in to work. So around 2:45 PM, my new boss comes through our area and said to the three of us who had bothered to come in today (several others sent early-morning e-mails saying they were WFH, or working from home), and told us to finish the day at home.

Yay! Except first I had to scrape the ice and snow off my car that had accumulated since my arrival, and then shovel the driveway AGAIN when I got home. It was almost as if I hadn't done it the first time, except that I could see how much deeper it was on the side I hadn't scraped the first time (I only cleared a path just wider than the car).

So I guess I've had my exercise for today!
Rook
Critter

« Reply #2731 on: January 20, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »

Huh, I'd never heard that. I've thrown away a lot of shirts because of wine stains. I'll have to try that some time. Thanks.

Oxiclean works as well.  afro

Someone spilled red on my grandmother's whitish carpet, and we sopped it up, then put a thick paste of oxiclean and water on it. I think we left it a few minutes, and then wiped it up-- presto, clean carpet-- no smell either!  afro

It's supposed to snow here (again!) tonight. Four inches... not looking forward to it, with the ground still covered in rained-on-half-melted, then refrozen, snow/ice/mud...   Angry the footing is terrible...

Oh, well. Could be worse-- it could be ice... can't shovel/plow ice.

And it'll be spring soon...  smiley

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2732 on: January 20, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »

Hit a patch of black ice about forty or fifty yards long on the way home tonight, down a steep hill, too. The ABS kicked in, but to no avail -- we just seemed to keep going faster, if anything. I shouted to my passenger that I was losing control. He braced for impact, then just as we were heading towards the bend where we would surely slide off into the trees, grip returned and we slowed enough to make it round. Phew. Yesterday, on another road, we passed one car that had spun off into a field, and another that had flipped onto its roof and landed in the hedge. I reckon the insurance companies must be working overtime this winter.

Talking of insurance, a workmate told me he'd accidentally put petrol in his diesel Landrover Discovery and caused five grand's worth of damage to the engine whoah Turns out it's covered by his insurance, though. I always thought it was tough luck if you did something stupid like that, and you'd have to foot the bill. Apparently not, though scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2733 on: January 20, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »

Congratulations on not wrecking! Sounds like that could have sucked. As for the insurance thing, it depends on what kind of insurance you have. I think that sort of thing is covered by comprehensive. I recently discovered that I can go from paying 80 a month for liability to 51 a month for liability, collision, comprehensive and roadside assistance by switching from Allstate to Progressive. I feel really stupid for not looking into this sooner. I could probably buy a new car with all the money I wasted on their crappy company. Oh well, live and learn.   

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2734 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:35 AM »

Wow, that's a big difference. I don't know why insurance companies do that. If anything they seem to punish you for your loyalty. I suppose they rely on it being too much hassle to shop around, and gradually edge the price up until you balk at it. They're in the same morality group as lawyers, really, aren't they fugly

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2735 on: January 21, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »

Doctors, lawyers, and politicians. What more can you expect from people who choose a line of work that profiteers on the misfortune of others?

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2736 on: January 21, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »

I'll go along with your assessment of lawyers and career politicians, but there are lots of doctors out there who hate the insurance companies as much as we do. The Brits have a different system, but in the end it all comes down to there being a middle man (insurance company/government) trying to set and control prices. We have all become so accustomed to the thought that our medical costs should be borne by someone else that the whole system has gone haywire.
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2737 on: January 21, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »

That is true, but it's not what I was referring to. I just meant that they are all somewhat evil. Doctors become jaded and eventually come to see themselves as gods and patients as hunks of meat coming down a conveyor belt. The three most common ways that the mind deals with being constantly surrounded by death and suffering are to disconnect from the sufferers, become sadistic, or go insane. Insane doctors tend not to keep their jobs, so we're left with sadists and assholes who have the, "How much is you life worth" mentality. To them, healing is a business and those who can't pay don't deserve treatment. There are exceptions, of course. I just haven't encountered any of them.     

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2738 on: January 21, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »

Hence the avatar, right? afro

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2739 on: January 22, 2011, 04:47:18 AM »

Luckily, fnord, I have come across exceptioins to your often-correct observations. Several of my former pupils are docs - one is a consultant eye-surgeon, who regularly spends his hols flying to India where he does cataract ops for free in a small town. Folk walk for up to 3 days to reach his clinic. Another got a first in medicine at Oxford and came top for marks for her Phd in Edinburgh but in spite of being urged to go into lucrative research she is a GP in a socially deprived area in the Scottlish lowlands. Both self-deprecating full-of-humour people. Maybe the effect you mention, of their 'power' corrupting them will happen in the future to them, but fingers crossed it won't.

I blame Cafe Doom for me almost not entering a piece for the current Queensland 100 antho. Their guidelines asked for an 'uplifting, upbeat' story with nothing too grim or violent, and nothing about floods, drowning, etc. Not sure of the wisdom of those guidelines since horror and confronting those issues can be a catharsis but I looked at my long list of unfinished stories and nearly all of them are grim, even if with humour. Hoever, I found one, crafted an upbeat angle, and entered it. Still has to go through a selection procedure. Wish me luck. If anyone else here has a jolly story then try
http://www.talewins.com/bulletin/archives/2856

fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2740 on: January 22, 2011, 07:52:06 AM »

Yes, those are the exceptions I was talking about. My fingers are crossed for them too. Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a cynic and I have never written a jolly story. At best my characters die with a smile on their face. Wink

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2741 on: January 22, 2011, 12:09:23 PM »

At best my characters die with a smile on their face. Wink

I like that!

JonP
Critter

« Reply #2742 on: January 22, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »

Well, my entry that made it into the 50 Stories for Pakistan antho originated in a Cafe Doom Weekly Flash scratch As did the one I've sent off for Queensland ...

In other news, I nearly blew the house up the other night. Mrs P was away and I accidentally left one of the gas rings on low but unlit for several hours. Could have been quite exciting if I hadn't (eventually) smelt something.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2743 on: January 22, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »

Well, my entry that made it into the 50 Stories for Pakistan antho originated in a Cafe Doom Weekly Flash scratch As did the one I've sent off for Queensland ...

In other news, I nearly blew the house up the other night. Mrs P was away and I accidentally left one of the gas rings on low but unlit for several hours. Could have been quite exciting if I hadn't (eventually) smelt something.
Wow, you were lucky there, Jon. Also good thing British Gas back in the late 60s decided to add an obnoxious smell to the otherwise odourless methane in natural gas. You can't kill yourselve with your head in the oven these days except by blowing yourself up.

May your good luck extend to the Queensland100.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2744 on: January 22, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »

Not strictly true, Geoff -- you can still kill yourself by suffocating on methane. The difference between the old coal gas and natural gas is the former was toxic, so even if you survived the initial attempt, you would soon wish you hadn't, because it made you very sick.

A ring left on but unlit, on low, probably wouldn't cause you many problems in any case. It would smell very strong, but the explosive range of nat gas is between 5% and 15% (any more or less and it won't even light), so if you imagine how much gas it would take to fill 5% of the room with gas at 20mb of pressure -- it would take a very long time, with no ventilation.

Up until a few years ago (ten or fifteen), you used to test gas to 7" on a manometer, and you were allowed up to a 1" drop on the test over 2 minutes. That's a lot of gas to lose into a house day in, day out, 24/7 and not be obliged to do anything about it.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx