News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jingold

Kerr

Pharosian

My condolences, jingold! I was rooting for the Steelers, too... but I don't think a team I've rooted for has ever won, so maybe next year we can win a lot of money by betting against the team I want to win.  ::)

jingold

delboy

Back in the Shire it was a great weekend for sport - England beat Wales (at the Milennium Stadium, too!) on a Friday night under lights and it was on regular TV (none of this Sky malarky) so I actual got to watch my national team, which was both unique and enjoyable. More importantly, on Saturday, Gloucester beat London Irish by a huge margin in a brilliant display. Most enjoyable too, even if the swirling wind blowing rain into places rain isn't usually blown meant we got wet.

For info, this is rugby union ("The world's finest sport" *) - kind of like your American Football but without the forward passes, padding, pauses, and mis-sung national anthems  ;)

Derek

(*) Sports Illustrated Global Survey - Spring Issue 2007. "...we surveyed some quarter of a million armchair fans, paying fans, players, ex-players, sports journalists, pundits, and sponsors, in 73 countries. We covered 88 sports, some global - such as soccer and cycling - and some purely regional such as American Football, baseball, and curling. The overwhelming winner in fitness and skill-level, tactics, entertainment value, historical context, and beer-drinking capability was Rugby Union, and within those results it was equally as clear-cut that Gloucester RFC are the top of the tree and can be crowned the world's greatest team in the world's greatest sport - even though they haven't actually won anything for a long time and often lose to crap French teams."
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

delph_ambi

Quote from: delboy on February 07, 2011, 04:26:13 AM
Sports Illustrated Global Survey - Spring Issue 2007. "...we surveyed some quarter of a million armchair fans, paying fans, players, ex-players, sports journalists, pundits, and sponsors, in 73 countries. We covered 88 sports, some global - such as soccer and cycling - and some purely regional such as American Football, baseball, and curling. The overwhelming winner in fitness and skill-level, tactics, entertainment value, historical context, and beer-drinking capability was Rugby Union, and within those results it was equally as clear-cut that Gloucester RFC are the top of the tree and can be crowned the world's greatest team in the world's greatest sport - even though they haven't actually won anything for a long time and often lose to crap French teams."

Love it! And definitely agree with the sentiments.  :grin:

jsorensen

Well, my sport--the NFL--has finally ended for the season.  It turned out well for me and my two fav teams, but now it's time to move on.

No cigarette in almost four weeks--been doing okay with that.  Not constantly thinking about it anymore and coffee is starting to taste like coffee again.

Now that the vices are done, I should be able to focus on the writing more than just a couple times a week (as long as the school thing doesn't throw too many things at me...)  :dance:
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Geoff_N

I believe I mentioned this charity 'competition' last month to the effect that because of our urge to write horror few of us could screw up our brains to write something happy. They wanted something clever, thoughtful, and uplifting.  I couldn't do that so I sent a revamped funny one instead. Remarkably, they liked it and not only was it chosen from over a thousand entries to be in the 100,  they include me in a small group of headline authors!

Just shows that write, submit, blah blah can work.

Geoff

Rook

Congrats, Geoff!  :dance:

Went to see The King's Speech yesterday... great film. If you haven't seen it, I say -- go.  :afro:

And Super Bowl Sunday is a great day for the movies-- no line, theater mostly empty and populated by quiet old women, for the most part. :afro:
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

delboy

I'm in two minds about the King's Speech. Some great acting by Mr Firth, but I think the whole thing had been so hyped up (one person even told me it was her favourite film ever - I mean, for something to be better than Jaws and/or The Blues Brother then it was going to have to be absolutely amazing!) that I was expecting too much. Most of all, I couldn't believe that something so dramatic really happened...i.e. him getting over all his speech problems just in time for that war speech. It all felt a little too dramatic to be real. Hoping it was, I had a quick look at Wiki when I got home and read:

QuoteAfter his closing speech at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley on 31 October 1925, one which was an ordeal for both him and the listeners, he began to see Lionel Logue, an Australian-born speech therapist. The Duke and Logue practised breathing exercises, and the Duchess rehearsed with him patiently. As a result of the training, the Duke delivered successfully the opening address at Australia's Federal Parliament at Canberra in 1927, and he was able to speak subsequently with only a slight hesitation.

Ok, I know we shouldn't believe everything we read on the web and I've not investigated further, but the timescales above seem very different to those in the film - i.e. he was speaking reasonably successfully and with help from Lionel 12 years before the war kicked off.

Without that change of timescale the drama of the situation lessens considerably. I know it's a movie not a documentary - but changing the truth so much whilst still suggesting it's the truth knocks a few points off the movie for me. Still better than Teenwolf, though.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

The queen mum forbade the guy who wrote it from making the film in her lifetime. Don't know why. I would have said she would have been pleased with the result. I wonder what the queen thinks about it, after all, it's a film about her dad. Suppose we'll find out in the New Year's Honours list :afro:

JS -- well done on breaking the four week barrier. You're well on the way now :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Kerr

Ditto Jeff. I tried last year, then fell off the wagon. Hang in, your body thanks you for it. 

jsorensen

The body may, but the mind is not willing...actually its been getting easier and easier...I even think I should treat myself on my success...been thinking about getting a good pipe  :2funny:
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

fnord33

Yep, I made that mistake a few times myself. For me it was tiny cigars rather than a pipe, but a pipe did occur to me.

I just saw an extremely interesting little flick called Dr. Caligari (not the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari). It was an absurdist horror comedy about an asylum run by a maniacal femme fatal who is mutating patients and swapping their psychoses around. The whole thing is shot at weird angles with stilted choreography on 80's-style surreal sets. At least half the dialogue is insane gibberish. Not everybody's cup of tea, but if you've ever wanted to see a film where a nymphomaniac gets third degree burns while trying to find a scarecrow's penis you might want to check it out.  ;)     
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

jsorensen

Fnord--sounds beyond bizarre, may or may not check it out.  The last film I saw was Unthinkable with Samuel L Jackson in it.  Good film, but it lives up to its title...