News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leatherdykeuk

Quote from: Rev. Austin on February 11, 2011, 04:31:53 AM
I watched The Last Exorcism last night,

I thought this a real waste of 90 minutes. I felt cheated by the truly abysmal Hammy Hammer Horror ending.

Ed

Had a close scrape with running out of heating oil yesterday. I kept meaning to have a look at the oil level in the tank, because I haven't checked it since about October. Yesterday, I was asking the brickie who was around, building my garden wall, how his boiler was running -- I had to put a new pump and nozzle on it for him, because he had water go through it, which is kinda karmic, because he nicked the last of the heating oil from a tank at work that I was told I could have. I went back there to get the last of it, and found the tank bone dry. I reckon he got greedy and ended up taking the oil, sludge, and the water from that tank and sticking it in his :fugly: If he's left well alone, he'd have saved himself a few quid.

Anyway, thinking about that prompted me to go and take a look at the level in my tank, and there was no level -- no oil. I reckon the very next time the boiler fired up, it would have run out. So I grabbed a fifty gallon drum and headed down to the oil depot to collect some to tide us over. I reckon they might be on the fiddle, though. I put 220 litres into the drum and a couple other 25 litre drums, paid for it (52p a litre) then used my oil transfer pump to get it into my tank, but by pump's gauge only read 182 litres by the time I'd finished. I think it might be time to ring the weights and measures guys at the Customs and Excise.

Went out shooting last night, got stuck in the mud on one of the farms. Took me over an hour to travel twenty yards ::) Nightmare.

That was the weekend, that was...
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

jsorensen

Temperature got into the mid forties and the sun came out.  The wife and I went for a walk along the canal and then cleaned out the front garden.  Found a few bulbs beginning to break through...wonderful :smiley:
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Ed

Yep -- spring is on its way. We've got bluebells pushing up through the soil in our garden, crocus and snowdrops in flower. Can't wait for the warmer weather to come :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Lovely day here. Spring chez Del means the back lawn isn't quite as muddy as it is in winter.

Aim For A Lovely Lawn With Green-Fingered Del:

Winter - Quagmire
Spring - Bog / Slugfest
Summer - Brown and Dead
Autumn - Bog / Bigger Slugfest

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

delph_ambi

Blocked drain. Plumber arrived before eight-thirty(!), applied himself to the problem with vigour, solved the problem. I can now do the washing up without coating my back yard in slime and soap-suds. They drain away instead. Magic.  :afro:

Rev. Austin

My housemate and I went for a lovely long walk around the edge of Scunthorpe on Saturday (where the town meets the country), but it knackered me out so I was wrecked for the meal/party I went to in the evening.  HEAVENS!  :grin: Our trip to a Cleethorpes art gallery yesterday was wrecked by the truly abysmal public transport system in Scunny, but hopefully we'll get there this next weekend! This afternoon, a plumber's coming round and I have to pretend to be my housemate's fella, otherwise she'll get in trouble for letting me stay here (even though I'm not paying rent, her agency went off their heads when she let some friends stay here a few months ago and they didn't pay rent either). Great stuff.  Hmm, it'd be just my luck that the head of the agency is actually a member of this board hahaha
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Rev. Austin

Woop!  Just received an official invite to submit something to the next issue of New Bedlam, home to my Jonny Cave serialzation!  It's going to print from now on so this is very exciting!!!  :cheesy:

jsorensen

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Rook

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

desertwomble

You really are rather remarkable!

Grats, your Grace!

DW :cheers:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Rev. Austin

haha thanks folks  :afro: the deadline's not quite two months away so I need to get cracking on some ideas!  Woooooo!

Ed

Ed

Yeesh -- I thought I'd be finished by three yesterday afternoon. Didn't seem like much to do if all went well... but it didn't. I was there until eight, then had a forty-five minute drive home. Had my dried-up uber-hot kept-warm-in-the-oven-tea at about nine, had a wash, and was in bed by ten.  ::) Don't want too many days like that.

Still, hopefully, today will be better :smiley:

Geoff_N

Thinking of your kept-warm dinner, Ed spurs me to mention that it is the other way round at our house. I am essentially a house husband while my wife works at the uni and out on school and college visits. I didn't particularly want to work at home every day but I can't afford to rent an office. If I did I'm sure I'd get a hellavalot more writing and editing done. As it is I write after breakfast for a couple of hours then get itchy feet so either walk or cycle to the shops / post box etc. More writing or reading then if at home do some chores. The damn phone goes, the door bell rings, the neighbours want something, I'm even sucked into a good old film on the box if I make the mistake of checking the TV lists. The only time I experience your cold and hard work, Ed, is when I throw all the house stuff up and go on a gritty all day hike or bike in the mountains. Yeay, I might do that today.