News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

My wife uses Manuka honey. I can't being a vegan. I can have whisky though  :bleh:

marc_chagall

Some whisky, yes, but don't forget some is matured in sherry barrels, which will not necessarily be vegan-friendly.

marc_chagall

So I've just been down the dentist, and he recoiled in shock when he realised the side of my neck is out like a tennis ball as the result of this ruddy tooth abscess, so he's put me on double dose penicillin and invited me back in a fortnight when I might actually be able to open my mouth so that he can see the tooth. Can't at the moment. Tried to eat some porridge off a teaspoon this morning, but couldn't even do that.  :'(

Rook

Ooff, Delph, that's terrible. I hope it gets better soon.  :(
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

marc_chagall

So do I. I'm about to attempt to suck up some scrambled egg through a straw. I seem to have a fridge full of lovely crunchy stuff like celery. Most frustrating.

JonP

Geoff_N

Delph, your abcess makes my cough seem positively friendly!

Hope it goes back to where it came from asap.

jsorensen

Delph--hope everything gets better for you soon...

My wife and I decided to find homes for our dogs (with the economy its been difficult).  We tried for over a couple of weeks to see if there was anywhere--there wasn't.  Seems everyone is hit hard.  Decided that we were being forced into taking them to the pound but my boys threw a fit when they found out (they're both adults living at home)...my wife and them came to an agreement...they will now help with the dogs and help around the house so we all have more time with the animals...thank goodness, I wouldn't make it if I got rid of them (I love the little buggers)...
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Pharosian

Got back in from Tulsa last night around 11 PM -- and still had to go to baggage claim, retrieve my car, and drive about an hour to get home. The closest airport is about 30 minutes from my house, but the airfares out of there are usually higher. In this case, the difference was about $300, so my company wanted us to fly out of the less convenient airport.

The trip went well, though... other than being given bad directions by the woman at the Avis counter in Tulsa. She told us to take a certain route (244 to 44 W) to avoid the construction, which seemed like a considerate thing until we found out that there was no exit to get onto 44W from 244 in the direction we were traveling. We overshot, turned around, and were able to get on the highway coming from the other direction.  ::)  Then we did get into a construction zone and found that they'd taken down the signs marking some of the exits--like the one we needed. It was an adventure!

fnord33

At least you weren't eaten by troglodytes.  ;)
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

delboy

Quotey wife and I decided to find homes for our dogs (with the economy its been difficult).  We tried for over a couple of weeks to see if there was anywhere--there wasn't.  Seems everyone is hit hard.  Decided that we were being forced into taking them to the pound but my boys threw a fit when they found out (they're both adults living at home)...my wife and them came to an agreement...they will now help with the dogs and help around the house so we all have more time with the animals...thank goodness, I wouldn't make it if I got rid of them (I love the little buggers)...

Glad you figured things out! I can't imagine having to get rid of little Alfie voluntarily, but as you say, everyone is hit hard. Every time I pay a little something off the credit card a bigger something comes along. It's rapidly getting to the point where I might have to sell a guitar or two (so little Alfie better watch out!).

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

jsorensen

Quote from: delboy on March 04, 2011, 03:53:12 PM

Glad you figured things out! I can't imagine having to get rid of little Alfie voluntarily, but as you say, everyone is hit hard. Every time I pay a little something off the credit card a bigger something comes along. It's rapidly getting to the point where I might have to sell a guitar or two (so little Alfie better watch out!).

Derek

I'm glad the poochies are staying--my boxer is a wonderfully needy thing that always seeks my attention (I would miss that greatly--her name is Chretien after the writer)  as far as guitars--done that...it hurts too, but I still have four left that I'll hold onto simply because there not worth much if any money, but I need to play them often to keep my sanity... :idiot:
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Ed

I can't imagine a situation where I would have to get rid of my dogs, and I hope I never find out what it's like. It would be something akin to putting a child up for adoption -- they're an integral part of the family. Glad to hear you've managed to keep them, JS.

Is there anything left that can be done to save money, rather than having to sell off things? Some people I've talked to have come away with great deals on mortgages and debt consolidation loans after speaking to a financial advisor. The interest rate credit card companies charge is immoral, IMO. You can often borrow from a bank at a quarter of the cost. I'm guessing you've tried all these things already, though. :/
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Talking of dogs, little Alfie had a fit today. He's had a few recently. I put this one down to the immense excitement generated by Gloucester's tremendous win over arch-rivals Bath.  Took Alf  to the vet and have got some temazepan (or something) in case it happens again and have booked him in for some blood tests on Monday. It's horrible when the fits happen, poor chap looks so scared and just scrambles up me trying to get as close as possible; before his eyes start rolling. He's okay now - he's giving me that "I reckon it's time for a walk" look.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Poor old Alfie -- I hate feeling helpless like that, but there really is nothing you can do but comfort them as best you can, is there? Same with kids. I'd far rather suffer it myself than have to watch them go through it.

Weekend sped by again, here. I had to look at my watch today to see what day it was -- it didn't seem possible Saturday was over and most of Sunday, too. Shame we can't work two days and have five off as the weekend, isn't it. Still, what I'm doing at work at the moment is pretty interesting. I'm plumbing a swimming pool. I can't believe just how simple it is, though. I had always assumed there was more to it, but all you do is suck water out from the bottom, plus a few skimmers at the surface, stick it through a filter and then return it to the pool via a heat exchanger. That's it. Money for old rope.

Seems deathly quiet around here without a crit session going on. Hopefully April will be more productive :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]