gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 02:16:06 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 199 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589583 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2910 on: March 09, 2011, 05:06:11 AM »

of all the luck. My Malta-based fantasy novel, Xaghra's Revenge had been sent to a publisher on Malta for consideration. Response was slow so a writer friend who lives on the island nudged the publisher. It seems the acquisition editor died in January! Condolences, obviously, to his family. It means XR won't be looked at for months,  maybe a year. Hey ho.

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #2911 on: March 09, 2011, 06:55:40 AM »

ouch

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
leatherdykeuk
Global Moderator

« Reply #2912 on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »

What rotton luck!
Caz
Critter

« Reply #2913 on: March 09, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »

Bought three meters of 150mm lead flashing the other day. OMG, thirty eight quid for the roll.  Shocked I'm off to find a lonely church roof. Now where's my torch and swag bag, I'm gonna be rich.  dance

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2914 on: March 09, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »

Commiserations, Geoff. I bet yours was the next in the pile, too.

Caz -- a friend of mine took in a load of taps (faucets, for our American cousins) he got from refurbing a bunch of hotel rooms. He got twelve quid a piece for the bath mixer taps. It wasn't that long ago you could buy a new set for not much more than that.

Scrap copper is up around six grand a ton, apparently. I've got several cylinders full of offcuts that I've been saving for a while. It's tempting to take them in, but I have a feeling the price is likely to keep going up for a while yet. Hard to know what to do for the best, really.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
JonP
Critter

« Reply #2915 on: March 09, 2011, 06:18:44 PM »

Ouch. That's tough, Geoff.

jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #2916 on: March 09, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »

Geoff--

What a kicker--it's a tough break on both ends of that one...sorry to hear...hope it turns out well for you...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2917 on: March 09, 2011, 09:35:01 PM »

Scrap copper is up around six grand a ton, apparently. I've got several cylinders full of offcuts that I've been saving for a while. It's tempting to take them in, but I have a feeling the price is likely to keep going up for a while yet. Hard to know what to do for the best, really.

I hope you've got the cylinders locked up somewhere secure, and/or that you're the only one that knows where they are. Someone else might just decide that "now" is a good time to take them in.  Angry
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2918 on: March 10, 2011, 02:43:17 AM »

I hope you've got the cylinders locked up somewhere secure, and/or that you're the only one that knows where they are. Someone else might just decide that "now" is a good time to take them in.  Angry

It wouldn't be the first time. The other problem is they're taking up valuable space at home, and they look untidy, so it might be just as well to get rid of them. Our place is finally starting to look tidier, now that much of the building work is finished, and it seems a shame to keep things hanging around that don't need to be here.

It might be the last time for a while, too. I'm switching over to using a multilayer composite for most of my pipework. It's literally half to a third the price of copper, and with theft of materials on the rise, it makes sense -- it has no scrap value. I've had whole brand new four bedroomed houses, that have taken us all week to first fix, stripped of copper by thieves over the course of a weekend. That was last time the price hit a high. Scrap theft is becoming such a problem that the govt are talking about bringing in measures to curb it, such as stopping scrap yards paying cash for scrap.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Caz
Critter

« Reply #2919 on: March 10, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »

Seems like the price of all scrap metal is at a high. I hadn't seen them for years but now there are many guys driving around in pick up trucks looking for anything metal, one or two are even ringing a 'bring out your dead' bell.
I was in the same place that I bought the lead from today. £9 for a two meter length of 15mm copper pipe, and people wonder why building work is so expensive.

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #2920 on: March 10, 2011, 01:49:48 PM »

The wife and I had some old gold jewelry we've had since childhood, just lying around. We took it to an exchange not too long ago and picked up like $500 for just a few pieces. Wish I had some more of it around or some of the things you all are talking about. I used to have tons of stuff like this back when I did construction ages ago.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2921 on: March 10, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »

Wow, that's high, Caz. It must have been a DIY outlet, I'm guessing, because merchants are selling 15mm at around £2.25 per metre, plus VAT. We were buying it for 50p a metre, six or seven years ago. Criminal, isn't it? rolleyes

Caz
Critter

« Reply #2922 on: March 11, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

It is a DIY outlet. They run a trade counter there and some of the stuff, sand, cement, plaster, that kinda thing, is a lot cheaper than the builders merchants, but then they rob people blind on other stuff.
They wouldn't let me use the trade counter when I bought some loft insulation the other day though, not sure why.  Some silly rule I guess. Whilst in the loft I found some old cassette games for a computer, how old are they, and a Phil Collins poster. Apparently he's retiring. I'm torn by this. He was great with Genesis but his solo stuff...where's the flame thrower.   

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #2923 on: March 13, 2011, 01:44:54 AM »

Well, the Whittaker Prize 2011 contest got underway today, and the first prompts have gone up. I'm going to be pretty busy writing for the next 18 weeks.  Shocked I just hope I can figure out a way to leave room for a well-paced ending within the 2500 word count limit. Last year too many of my stories ended up feeling rushed at the end.   undecided
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2924 on: March 13, 2011, 06:11:07 AM »

I have trouble writing stories that short, these days, and have for some time. I've tried writing over and then editing back, but that often feels like half a story at the end of the process. You always end up destroying something you love along the way, and not in a 'kill your darlings' type editing move. The best ones turn out to have naturally wanted to be that length, I think, within a couple hundred words or so.

Good luck, Pharo afro

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 199 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx