gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 12:57:55 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588796 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2955 on: March 31, 2011, 03:25:59 AM »

You could try carving the tread deeper with a small chisel, but I don't recommend it afro Cars are horrendous money pits, especially now the fuel price has rocketed. Sorry to hear of your woes, Delph. Hopefully that'll be the last of it for a while.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #2956 on: March 31, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »

Phew! Phyliss had their debut gig last night in Derby and I'm still utterly exhausted  Cheesy got complimented on my vocals (!) and guitar playing (!!) which was a first hahaha (!!!) We got everyone to sit down for one of our songs, and rewarded them with free sweets, and a lass got up and danced on stage during another song, which was fun except she trod on my guitar lead and pulled it out the amp  rolleyes The unanimous feedback (fnar fnar) from the audience was that we were the loudest, heaviest and noisiest band they'd ever heard (and we made a few people feel queasy) which, believe it or not, is a good thing in the musical circles we run in  Wink

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2957 on: March 31, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »

Sounds like a blast, Rev afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2958 on: March 31, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »

Sorry to hear of your vehicle problems, Delph. Welding underneath wiper blades sounds drastic - makes me glad I only have a bicycle. Wiper blades not required.

Doing a final proofreading of the 380 pages of Escape Velocity: The anthology. I only need to look for misplaced indents, widows and orphans, oddities but I can't resist lingering on some of the stories. They are all different, original and makes me proud and honoured to be involved in showing them to the planet. Eyes are going wonky though with the all the re-re-reading.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2959 on: April 01, 2011, 03:00:51 AM »

Sent out my Black Pearl story to the Malpractice antho at LoTLD last night, which is when the submission window ended. It's one of my favourite stories, so I'm in two minds whether I want it to find a home for just forty dollars after the journey it's had. F Paul Wilson said, with a grin, "You're a sick fuck," after reading it. Several pro rate paying outlets have very nearly accepted it, but it's never quite made it past the final reading. I think I'll have mixed feelings whichever way it goes at Malpractice. I kinda hope it finally finds a home there, though. It's had a long journey.

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #2960 on: April 01, 2011, 06:23:50 AM »

Good luck. I've had stories like that myself, where they kept just missing that next level. It can be frustrating. Sometimes its just good to get them out there and move on I think.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #2961 on: April 02, 2011, 01:02:58 AM »

I know what you mean, Ed. I held on to an older story I was terribly fond of (it garnered some decent positive crits in the group, plus a lot of positive feedback at Borderlands). It got two rejections from upper markets before I just recently subbed it to a market that payed only one contributor copy. They accepted it. Bittersweet. Here's a story I agonized over, ran through the crit group, redrafted, subbed through Borderlands, then redrafted. All in all I've got at least 20 hours on a 5,000 word story, not to mention the cost of having the Borderlands group take a look  -  and in the end, I pretty much give it away.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2962 on: April 02, 2011, 05:03:41 AM »

Yep -- I think we're a way off writing for a living, yet, aren't we? grin

Taking the Borderlands fee, flights, loss of earnings, and accommodation into account, this one owes me a couple of grand scratch Still, if it finally makes it into print, I can maybe get it under the nose of other editors for a year's best antho, or something. You never know. At Borderlands, some people loved it, others hated it.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2963 on: April 03, 2011, 06:47:40 AM »

We went out for a slapup dinner at a very exclusive restaurant last night. Had wild garlic soup for starters, beef fillet medallions with creamed potato for a main course and a dark chocolate tart with vanilla ice cream served in a butterscotch cup for dessert. Absolutely delicious At sixty quid a head I don't think we'll do it often, but it was exceptionally good food.

It was all perfectly seasoned, so I cringed when I saw people on a table across from us dip a small spoon into a bowl of sea salt crystals and liberally sprinkle their food with it before tasting it -- how stupid can you get? You pay that sort of money for perfect food and then ruin it through crass stupidity. Unbelievable. I half expected them to complain, but AFAIK they didn't. I reckon they drank a lot of water, though  rolleyes

fnord33
Critter

« Reply #2964 on: April 06, 2011, 05:45:27 AM »

I'm kind of lucky that way. The place I work has amazing steaks and I get 1/2 off, so I can afford it. I still end up dropping 40-50 bucks every time I go, but you have to eat, right?

I went out of town to see the Residents last night. I had a lot of fun, but it was almost the exact same set they played when they came last year. I don't understand why a band that's been pumping out albums for the past 40 years would plat all the same songs at the same venue two years in a row. They weren't even the songs I would qualify as hits (the word hits in this case being used very loosely). Oh well, as previously stated, I had fun. We drove back through a massive storm that killed eight people. My wife's Scion didn't seem to like it, but we got back in one piece.   cheers

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
marc_chagall
« Reply #2965 on: April 06, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »

Stop talking about food!!!!! I haven't been able to eat anything solid for a month now, thanks to a horribly infected tooth. Just had it pulled out (hurrah!) and stitches put in (ouch) so it'll still be a few days before I can eat properly, but hopefully I'll soon be on the mend. I'm fed up with living on porridge and soup.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2966 on: April 06, 2011, 02:08:01 PM »

Back to earth with a bump today -- my wife cooked this fish in crunchy batter thing, out of a packet. To accompany, we had a packet of parsley sauce (nuked in a microwave), runner beans (boiled to a pulp), nuked sweetcorn, and boiled potatoes still in their skins, but she had no butter, so she improvised by pouring olive oil over them instead. Urgh. It was vile.

She said she wants us to eat more fish. Not sure why. Low mercury levels, maybe?

That tooth of yours has been giving you trouble for quite a while, hasn't it, Delph? Seems like ages since you first said about it. Must have felt like an eternity for you. Still, you should be on the mend pretty quickly now you've had it pulled afro

desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #2967 on: April 06, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »

Back to earth with a bump today -- my wife cooked this fish in crunchy batter thing, out of a packet. To accompany, we had a packet of parsley sauce (nuked in a microwave), runner beans (boiled to a pulp), nuked sweetcorn, and boiled potatoes still in their skins, but she had no butter, so she improvised by pouring olive oil over them instead. Urgh. It was vile.

I've suddenly got an idea for that 'straightjacket' prompt for the flash challenge!

DW Cheesy

jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #2968 on: April 06, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »

I've suddenly got an idea for that 'straightjacket' prompt for the flash challenge!

DW Cheesy

Yeah!  The two over there now are getting a bit lonely.  Cry

Put in yours and its a new party.  cheers

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2969 on: April 06, 2011, 04:15:36 PM »

Stop talking about food!!!!! I haven't been able to eat anything solid for a month now, thanks to a horribly infected tooth. Just had it pulled out (hurrah!) and stitches put in (ouch) so it'll still be a few days before I can eat properly, but hopefully I'll soon be on the mend. I'm fed up with living on porridge and soup.
Think of all the weight you must have lost. Ah, but you're not as laterally misfortuned as some of us, are you?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx