gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 10:35:45 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589900 times)
marc_chagall
« Reply #3015 on: April 25, 2011, 04:23:16 AM »

I think all the jiggling about of the ballcock yesterday may actually have helped the situation slightly, in that the drips have all but disappeared this morning, so I think I'm going to close up the attic and ignore the problem for the time being. I suspect the only solution is the 'new hole in the tank' one.

How do you pronounce 'Ggiuantia' anyway? I've never seen a word with a double 'g' at the start before.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3016 on: April 25, 2011, 02:51:09 PM »

Drilling a new hole is a massive overkill. Typical British Gas, really. I've never heard of anybody doing that before. scratch

Been another lovely day here. Made cheese omelettes for lunch, and a really nice cottage pie for tea, so we've all got full bellies. Now I'm sitting here with the window open. Glass of lager on the desk, doing a bit of writing, headphones plugged in -- I'm in my own little world. Nice. afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3017 on: April 25, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »

How do you pronounce 'Ggiuantia' anyway? I've never seen a word with a double 'g' at the start before.
.... he also mispelled 'brilliant' in his post ..... he's probably drunk from duty-free liquor 
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3018 on: April 25, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »

Ggantija is pronounced by the Maltese with a soft G, and a ya sound for the j. So a bit like jantiya. The Maltese language is a mix of arabic and Italian with a few homegrown sounds. It means giant tower.
tourist guide and photos http://www.101malta.com/index.php/Things-to-See/Ggantija-Temples.html

Dan, sorry I spelt brilliant with an l missing. You guessed right.
Geoff

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3019 on: April 26, 2011, 03:35:50 AM »

Back to work after a very pleasant Easter break. Got out for a few decent rides, had some nice meals with family and friends and generally chilled. All rather jolly. Most exciting of all, I even wrote (and completed) a couple of short stories. Alas, the fact that I'm still only able to do this at periods when I'm not working (a theory bourne out many times over the last few years - and one that I'm pretty sure is not merely in my mind) is a little worrying. Still, I'm enjoying the writing again and have a head full of ideas and plans. Roll on retirement  undecided

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
marc_chagall
« Reply #3020 on: April 27, 2011, 04:17:10 AM »

The drip from the tank in the loft seems to have sorted itself out (phew!) but there's a small puddle on my kitchen floor and there shouldn't be. It looks like water is seeping through from under the kitchen units. Gawd knows why or how. I think my plumbing's out to get me.  undecided
JonP
Critter

« Reply #3021 on: April 27, 2011, 04:48:15 AM »

Sounds like one of those Japanese horror movies, delph.

LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3022 on: April 27, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »

The drip from the tank in the loft seems to have sorted itself out (phew!) but there's a small puddle on my kitchen floor and there shouldn't be. It looks like water is seeping through from under the kitchen units. Gawd knows why or how. I think my plumbing's out to get me.  undecided
.... it could be one of 3 things - does your sink-drain go out through the wall into  your yard or does it travel around under the cabinets before it leasves the house. you must bend down and look under the sink and make a visual inspect to find this out. icheck to see if its totaly dry inside the cupboard.  does the puddle only appear after you use water or is it there the whole time? out up a foto of your counter top -- that includes your taps and your sing  answer all my questions and i'll tell you  what the problem could very well be.....if you cant send a foto cus of the grunge around the sink - just tell me if the taps come out the wall or do they come out through the countertop/ or the edge of the sink.....

marc_chagall
« Reply #3023 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »

It's nothing to do with the taps or the sink. All the drainage from the sink is fully visible and completely dry. The leak's happening a couple of yards before the water reaches that point. There's nothing to see except for a puddle on the lino and some soggy chipboard. The puddle's there the whole time irrespective of whether I'm using any water or not.

I think I'm going to blame my neighbour. He's been doing DIY next door for weeks. He may have drilled a tiny hole in a pipe somewhere and not realised. If that's the case, it could be anywhere. Could have slowly seeped through the lower part of the wall until it found somewhere to come out. All of that wall has fitted units in front of it so I don't have access and can't really see anything. (It's probably nothing to do with my neighbour, but I'm feeling in need of someone to blame.)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3024 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »

Top points for anyone who can name this artist and song without Googling anything (Delph's need for someone to blame made me think of this wonderful song):

"Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic foods
He believed in love and peace and never wore no shoes.
He had long hair, beard, and sandals, and a funky bunch of friends
I reckon they'd just nail him up if he came down again.

(Chorus)

'Cos everybody's gotta have somebody to look down on
Someone they can feel better than at any time they please
Someone doing something dirty decent folks can frown on
If you can't find no-one else, then help yourself to me."

Clues if you need them - it's from the era of singer-songwriters. I recall often playing this number on my guitar at parties in the seventies. And the artist had long hair, sandals (probably), and a beard (sometimes). Also, it was a man...

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3025 on: April 27, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »

It's nothing to do with the taps or the sink. All the drainage from the sink is fully visible and completely dry. The leak's happening a couple of yards before the water reaches that point. There's nothing to see except for a puddle on the lino and some soggy chipboard. The puddle's there the whole time irrespective of whether I'm using any water or not.

I think I'm going to blame my neighbour. He's been doing DIY next door for weeks. He may have drilled a tiny hole in a pipe somewhere and not realised. If that's the case, it could be anywhere. Could have slowly seeped through the lower part of the wall until it found somewhere to come out. All of that wall has fitted units in front of it so I don't have access and can't really see anything. (It's probably nothing to do with my neighbour, but I'm feeling in need of someone to blame.)

put your red shirt on -- open 3 top buttons and the bottom two [i hope you have more than 5 buttons on the shirt] -- smile at the DIY nieghbour and ask him for advice.......... Shocked Shocked Shocked
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3026 on: April 27, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »

Sounds like something Bob Dylan might have done, Del, but it's not familiar to me scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3027 on: April 27, 2011, 04:02:07 PM »

Close, Ed. The guy in question is a peer of Bob's, even appeared in a movie or two with him, I believe, and I have a vague recollection that Bob might have written the sleeve notes on the man-in-question's first album (though I might be getting my sleeve note knowledge muddled - it's been a long time - and it might have been Johnny Cash and/or John Prine).

Derek

Robert B. Parker
JonP
Critter

« Reply #3028 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:29 PM »

Probably way off, but Kris Kristofferson?

[EDITED TO ADD: *goes and has a look* *preens*]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:48:49 PM by JonP » Logged

Rook
Critter

« Reply #3029 on: April 27, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »

See, I guessed Cat Stevens, knew it was wrong, then went and googled it.  afro

Hope fnord and all his people are all right. Massive storms tore through his neck of the woods today, tornados and all...  undecided

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx