News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_chagall

Yes, it would. I have absolutely no idea.

Ed

It would have been great to have had two or three ringed tables in fierce competition for the top slots. How would a judge differentiate between them? What criteria to use? :fugly:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

The arguments raged over whether the rings on Table A - rings which could be construed as being cleverly (and deliberately) placed to suggest a post-modernistic interpretation of Hogarth's line of beauty - were more challenging than Table's B rings which adhered far more closely to the rule of thirds, but also - and again, possibly deliberately, brought in elements - albeit nebulous - of the Turin Shroud (Table B was originally shown, it was rumoured, at the Easter Service, St Winnifred's Chapel, Looe). That said, Table C was far more more subversive in the ambitious and fearless way that the artist broke all rules and made a bold statement on the place of randomness and chaos theory in 21st Century Britain.

Johnny, of Class 3c, who was there with his Aunt Mabel said he much preferred the drawing of a fire extinguisher on the red sign by the door.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Rook

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

Rev. Austin

Quote from: Pharosian on May 14, 2011, 02:42:06 AM
Quote from: Rev. Austin on May 13, 2011, 12:34:52 PM
In other news, I'm trying to find a birthday pressie for my mum - can any of you fine folks recommend any authors who're like James Patterson or Nora Roberts?  I'd like to get her something different to read but along the same lines as these chumps. 

Quote from: jingold on May 13, 2011, 01:02:04 PM
Has she tried JD Robb?  That's Nora Roberts' pen name for her futuristic police procedural series.  Naked in Death is the first in the series.  Might be worth a try.

I haven't read them, BTW, so no promises on quality.   ;)

Quote from: jsorensen on May 13, 2011, 09:11:57 PM

@Rev--maybe Janet Evanovich?  My wife likes her stuff--some detective/humor mix genre stuff...

That's a really good idea, jingold! I've read about 20 of them, and I think they're terrific! The characters are really well done. Each has his or her own personality, motivation, outlook, appearance... there's nothing cookie-cutter or cardboard about them, and layers of their personalities are revealed throughout the series. I recommend them highly!

While each book can be read on its own, I strongly suggest reading them in order due to the unfolding nature of the relationship between/among the main (and even some of the minor) characters.

Cool thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to surreptitiously check if she has any of these books already :D

When I was taking entries for my gallery's Open Exhibition I got to see some utter crap.  Not because it wasn't my sort of thing, but because it was clearly crap.  One chap entered one of those little artist mannequins, and he'd wrote things like 'rump', 'politics' etc on it, like it was a carcass.  But, because he'd mixed actual meat parts with GCSE-level 'statements' it didn't make any sense at all.  Terrible.  And then one lady entered an awful painting of three meerkats, and that got accepted.  ::)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

jingold

Quote from: Pharosian on May 14, 2011, 02:42:06 AM

That's a really good idea, jingold! I've read about 20 of them, and I think they're terrific! The characters are really well done. Each has his or her own personality, motivation, outlook, appearance... there's nothing cookie-cutter or cardboard about them, and layers of their personalities are revealed throughout the series. I recommend them highly!

While each book can be read on its own, I strongly suggest reading them in order due to the unfolding nature of the relationship between/among the main (and even some of the minor) characters.

Now you make me want to read them.  I've looked at those books so many times, but I just didn't want to start another series.  I've read a few of her romances, and thought they were pretty well-written, though contemporary romance isn't really my thing.

But I'm not buying any more Kindle books until I finish rereading the Game of Thrones series.  A Dance with Dragons comes out in JULY!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Geoff_N

Thanks to Del, I had to look up Hogarth's Line of Beauty. ie that S-shaped curves carry an artistic beauty that is more appreciated than straight lines. That appeals to me as a cyclist. I sometimes screech to a halt when I see before me a sinuous country lane. I never knew why I loved them so much. My wife insisted it was my perverted obsession with female curves, but now I can blame Hogarth's Line of Beauty. Thanks Del  :cheers:

And Delph, who do I ask to get my coffee table back?

Ed

Interesting few weeks ahead. We take possession of our new house tomorrow, which means a lot of work, a large mortgage and a whole new can of worms being first time landlords, if we can find a tenant.

The work outlook is still volatile. Nothing big coming up, but hopefully we can keep busy over the coming months. It's been alright so far. A few decent sized jobs are coming to a close now, which is always a bit worrying, though. Time will tell.

Made a lovely dinner tonight. Had roast spuds, runner beans and honey glazed carrots, but the star of the show was a rack of lamb -- delicious. You cook the whole rack at a high temperature for about half an hour, then cut into chops. It was beautiful. Much better than individually cooked lamb chops. No comparison for flavour and tenderness. I enjoyed it to the very last mouthful. Lovely :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Now the proud owner of a Kindle. Early impressions are very good. Already download, read, and archived a book (all for the bargain price of 69p). Also downloaded a selection of Sherlock Holmes stories for the even more bargain price of nothing.

Hints and tips and suggestions all welcome!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

jsorensen

@Delboy

I love my kindle--constantly looking for free books (love the idea that all the classics are free) and realized that I spend most of my time reading samples of work and generating a huge list of "As soon as I get the money, I'll buy these..."  But I also have gone through nearly a hundred samples of books that are pure crap...nice to be able to check a bit of a book before buying...plus, it stores an ungodly amount...wish the covers for these things would come down in price though.  As of now it's just my robe pocket that serves as its protective home...
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

LashSlash

read this on your kindle:-

http://bewrite.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=ALLAKAZZAM&Category_Code=HUM

.... its one of the best books wriiten ever; it comes highly reccomended

...you will read and re-read, finding new insights every time --- so passing  the real test of literiture  [every time i read a review - i re-read the book, asking: - how did i miss what the reviewers saw so clearly?...]

it even has illustrations!!!!

LashSlash

Quote from: delph_ambi on May 17, 2011, 04:32:34 AM
Quote from: LashSlash on May 17, 2011, 03:50:41 AM
it even has illustrations!!!!

:azn:

yes it does -- good ones at that!!!! -- you can actualy see them on the kindle!!!!!!!

Geoff_N

Lucky then that our Escape Velocity: The Anthology is available on Kindle - ASIN B004Z8L3SG 
Not free but cheaper than beer and chips. And half of Cafe Doom are in it.