gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 12, 2017, 03:23:28 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588303 times)
marc_chagall
« Reply #3090 on: May 19, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »

Major connectivity problems here, so will be unreliable posting daily haikus for a while. I'm reading them, just can't post  bangh (am on a different computer at the moment)
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3091 on: May 19, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »

Major connectivity problems here, so will be unreliable posting daily haikus for a while. I'm reading them, just can't post  bangh (am on a different computer at the moment)
.... i'll miss'em, delf!

disconnected delf
birds & flowers off-line
snowy screen
leatherdykeuk
Global Moderator

« Reply #3092 on: May 19, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »

Ah! Glad you're okay, though.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3093 on: May 19, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »

I hope you manage to get it sorted out soon, Delph. It's really frustrating, I know.

I'm not on line much at the moment, but that's because of taking on this new house. I've mostly been list making and sending out inquiries for various things, such as new windows, flooring, insulation, etc. There's a lot to do, and it's hard to know how far to go with it. We're not going to live there, so it's about getting the right balance between staying on budget and making it attractive to potential tenants.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
marc_chagall
« Reply #3094 on: May 20, 2011, 08:42:52 AM »

So I phoned a techie who's coming round this afternoon to look at my pc and laptop, and an hour later, email suddenly starts working again for no apparent reason, and I can even get onto facebook.  scratch
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3095 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »

I can even get onto facebook

Oh dear. With a bit of luck the techie will fix that for you!  Wink

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3096 on: May 20, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »

Now the proud owner of a Kindle. Early impressions are very good. Already download, read, and archived a book (all for the bargain price of 69p). Also downloaded a selection of Sherlock Holmes stories for the even more bargain price of nothing.

Hints and tips and suggestions all welcome!

Derek

Hi!

I've been somewhat occupied with organizing the family reunion/vacation, traveling and whatnot, so I didn't get a chance to reply to this as quickly as I'd intended. Anyway, I highly recommend the Kindle blog by Michael Gallagher: http://fkbt.wordpress.com/  He keeps track of which books are being offered as a free download at Amazon and updates it regularly (often more than once per day). He also has links to free stuff on sites other than Amazon, and has put together some hints and tips that are worthwhile. I'm not sure what the policy is regarding US vs UK downloads, but sometimes he makes reference to books that are being offered for the UK audience.

The blog is available as a Kindle subscription for a small fee, or you can use the link above on the web and just remember to go there every day or two to see what's new.

As for my own recommended tips, you've probably already discovered this, but when you press Menu and choose "Shop in Kindle Store," there's a Kindle Top Sellers link. Clicking that displays a list of the Top 100 Paid items. But in the upper right hand corner, there's a link to the Top 100 Free items, and that's where I usually look for interesting books and/or games.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3097 on: May 22, 2011, 04:52:16 AM »

Hey folks! I'm on the radio tonight with my "normal" rock band (ie no shouting, excessive distortion etc  grin ) - my fellow limeys can tune into 95.9FM/1485AM (BBC Radio Humberside) from 8pm to hear us, all you crazy yanks can maybe tune in online or via digital radio, if anyone feels so inclined  Wink

I don't do much other than trigger samples (including parts of an Oppenheimer speech, and sections from Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator) but it's still nice to be involved  smiley

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3098 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:34 PM »

There's nowt much on the telly tonight so I'll listen in, Wayne. This is it I think http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gtlmd

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3099 on: May 23, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »

Nice one, Rev -- I'll download and listen to that later. I couldn't last night, because I was on a plane back from Newcastle around about that time. Very busy weekend, but enjoyable. Caught up with loads of family I haven't seen for ages. Went to see my gran. It struck us we haven't seen her in nearly twenty years Shocked -- that's the trouble with living so far apart and leading busy lives. I used to see my other gran a lot more, because she used to make the trip to see us occasionally. She wasn't afraid of taking on a long train journey, but my other gran probably didn't feel like she could.

Scary how the time disappears without us realising, though. Where did all those years go? scratch

Hey ho -- back to the grind.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3100 on: May 23, 2011, 04:45:41 AM »

There's nowt much on the telly tonight so I'll listen in, Wayne. This is it I think http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gtlmd

I'm quoting my own post cos the link still works. Great sounds, Rev! I'm edting out the filter words such as felt and seemed for a potential publisher who has suggested I do so before sending my full mss. Listening to those energetic and lively pieces really helps! Brilliant.

marc_chagall
« Reply #3101 on: May 23, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »

I'm sitting here listening to bits of masonry crashing about in the gales. It's somewhat unnerving. Hope it's not coming off my house... I don't want to go out and look at any possible damage in case I get felled by falling detritus.   Sad
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3102 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »

Keep your head down, Delph afro 

Eeee but owah cousin were lucky with the weather Saturday, wasn't she. Could have gone either way, but the sun made an appearance on cue, each time the photographer brought out his camera, and the rain stayed off until Sunday. Very lucky.

Sounds like we were, too. There's talk about shutting down the airports due to another Icelandic volcano having a hissy fit, so we might have ended up staying a while longer than intended.

marc_chagall
« Reply #3103 on: May 24, 2011, 07:42:11 AM »

Pity you weren't stuck up north. You could have popped round and fixed all the things that are wrong with my heating/plumbing/roof etc   smiley
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #3104 on: May 28, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »

Decided to splurge today--should've bought some books but opted on two more albums from Tom Waits--Mule Variations and Blood Money...damn the guy is good...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx