gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 02:13:07 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589579 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3105 on: May 29, 2011, 03:39:48 AM »

Good choice! Tom Waits is about there with my favourites. So many highlights across his career from the very first album to the most recent. Saw a great gig of his at the Hammersmith Apollo many many years ago. Great story teller, great singer, great song-writer, great entertainer.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
leatherdykeuk
Global Moderator

« Reply #3106 on: May 29, 2011, 04:52:14 AM »

I love Tom Waits.  Blue Valentine has to be one of my all time favourite albums.
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3107 on: June 02, 2011, 02:13:59 PM »

He's one of those musicians I keep meaning to make a concerted effort to get into - same with Kate Bush (heard Running Up That Hill recently and was blown away by it). I've heard Bone Machine - is Blue Valentine similar to that one?

In other news, it's been a mental week for me, sorting out business stuff and recording (properly) with one of my bands.  And yesterday, I went to Brigg to pick up a ton of books from a charity shop for free (although gave them £20 as a 'donation') that they were just going to incinerate otherwise. Some really cool and weird books from the 60s/70s that I'm tempted to keep, even though we're planning to use them for a tinpot workshop soon in which we'll be encouraging members of the public to use the books to create book art that they can then add to the 'Tinpot Library'!

Phew!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3108 on: June 02, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »

Waits has tended to get a little bit weirder as his career has progressed - moving to using odd instruments and percussion to drive strange rhythmic songs and chants and polkas and death marches and what have you.... This started to happen around the Rain Dogs / Swordfishtrombone era. It's good stuff, and well worth a listen, but my preference is for his early work of which Blue Valentines was a high point (much like saying Everest is a high point - it is, but so are all the other mountains around it). Back in the early days Waits mixed jazz instrumentation and wonderful story songs, beautiful melodies and driving bluesy rhythms. He could play alone at the piano and keep an audience spellbound but he also had a knack of getting in great but often unknown musicians who complemented his style and songs perfectly. On Blue Valentines you'll find the wonderful piano and bass story of "Postcard From A Hooker In Minneapolis" nestling alongside the raw blues of gun songs including the epic "Romeo Is Bleeding" which as good a tale as you'll find anywhere. Every song is a classic, but one could say the same about any of the first ten albums - personal favourites include "Looking For The Heart Of Saturday Night" and "Shiver Me Timbers" off the first album, a spine tingling version of "Big Joe and Phantom 309" from the second, and that same album includes a perfect saxophone solo on "Warm beer and Cold Women". "Jersey Girl" made famous by Springsteen in the 80s is a Waits song, and many people of Springsteen's stature (Keith Richards, Rod Stewart, Eagles etc ) have done his songs. "Burma Shave" is a classic road song - Sinatra meets Kerouac and gargles gravel. All in all you can't go wrong with any of it. There are only a couple of artists that I've felt the relentless urge to buy the CDs when I already have the records and Waits is one of them.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3109 on: June 02, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »

My favourite Kate Bush track is Cloudbusting. The vid's a bit weird:

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3110 on: June 02, 2011, 07:20:02 PM »

I recently retured from a weekend at a friend's lakehouse. I learned two things. I experience relaxation as boredom and it's important to apply sunblock to the part in my hair. The rest of me is fine, but I have this one tiny strip of skin right on top that feels like it's on fire. Other than that I had a good time. I drank a lot of cheap beer, ate my weight in barbecue and learned that a little grape jam does wonders with the right barbecue sauce.   

Per Tom Waits. I agree, you can't go wrong with any of it. I have an mp3  cd in my car that's nothing but Tom Waits and the Polysics and it's the only one I've ever made that I haven't grown tired of after a few weeks. I recommend Blood Money, Mule Variations and the Black Rider for you though Rev. Those are the ones that made me fall in love. Did anybody catch the episode of Fishing with John with Tom Waits? If you haven't you should track it down. It's nice to know there's somebody that has a worse reaction to nature than I do.

I just finished watching Nighty Night. I highly recommend it. It's a darker British version of the Sarah Silverman Program where the stoner humor and fart jokes are replaces with purest evil. It stars some people from Jam and League of Gentlemen (two of my favorites).  It's very funny, but a bit painful to watch. 

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3111 on: June 03, 2011, 02:31:41 AM »

Slap some natural yoghurt on that sunburn, fnord. Put it on thick and then leave it to dry before washing off with water only. It works better than you would believe. Takes the pain right out of it. No second application necessary. Unbelievable.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3112 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:58 AM »

My favourite Kate Bush track is Cloudbusting. The vid's a bit weird:

And there I was thinking 'Steampunk' was a modern phenomenon.

DW Cheesy

fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3113 on: June 03, 2011, 02:59:13 AM »

Slap some natural yoghurt on that sunburn, fnord. Put it on thick and then leave it to dry before washing off with water only. It works better than you would believe. Takes the pain right out of it. No second application necessary. Unbelievable.

Hmm, sounds rather unpleasant. Maybe if I turn it into a sex thing.  rolleyes Thanks for the tip.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3114 on: June 03, 2011, 03:36:30 AM »

Hmm, sounds rather unpleasant. Maybe if I turn it into a sex thing.  rolleyes Thanks for the tip.

Yeah. I find a man with yoghurt in his hair incredibly sexy. 
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3115 on: June 03, 2011, 05:46:16 AM »

Really me too.  cheers To butcher a South Park quote, "Once you've seen Japanese schoolgirls dripping with pureed worms spanking each other with live eels while having the life choked out of them by a giant squid it's hard to go back to Playboy." 

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3116 on: June 03, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »

I noticed today they've got a bunch of Tom Waits CDs super cheap in my local HMV, including a few recommendations. It's serendipity, I tells ya!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
JonP
Critter

« Reply #3117 on: June 04, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »

Ooh, will check my local HMV. I've only got Swordfishtrombones, which is ACE.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3118 on: June 04, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »

I'm not sure I can manage my usual sunday bike ride. I accidentally rode 100 miles in the last two days. I got lost on the way to my daughter's 40 miles away and again on the way back via my pa-in-law. That'll teach me to always take a map, or buy a bike GPS. Even though I've applied nappy cream - thanks baby grandson! - I might not be repaired in time Sad

jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #3119 on: June 04, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »

Ooh, will check my local HMV. I've only got Swordfishtrombones, which is ACE.

As an end-of-the-year gift, the school gave all the teachers a brand new Ipod Touch.  Cool thing...I've put in my entire Rolling Stones Collection (a whole four albums), Nick Cave (over 16 albums), and Waits (which I'm sad to say is only four albums, none of which is Swordfishtrombones...)...Oh well, there's plenty of room on the thing...time to put in The Velvet Underground...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx