gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 11:35:47 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 208 [209] 210 211 212 213 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589174 times)
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3120 on: June 04, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »

My favourite Kate Bush track is Cloudbusting. The vid's a bit weird:

Actually, the weirest thing about this video is that the rain-making machine doesn't have an umbrella attached!

DW Cheesy

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3121 on: June 05, 2011, 03:43:58 AM »

not sure I can manage my usual sunday bike ride. I accidentally rode 100 miles in the last two days.

I'm staying off the bike today, too. Did a 110 k audax yesterday that involved one particular tough climb - I think the overall scores were 110k, average speed 14.1 mph (excuse me for mixing my measurement systems!), total climb 900m, max speed 44mph. Excellent day out but aching legs today.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3122 on: June 05, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »

Great going, Del. I'm getting slower with each decade. On long trips like that I'm down to 10 mph though that is with full panniers.

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3123 on: June 06, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »

Still getting my voice back from a gig on Saturday - we hadn't practiced in over a week but the consensus was we were the 'most professional-sounding band' of the evening....! Which is very nice  Wink Went to the local museum yesterday to get ideas for a workshop I'm doing there in a month's time - we'll be getting kids to go round with books finding 'words' which we'll then turn into poems/stories with them.  Very exciting!  Hoping to find some time this week to continue fine-tuning a novel to sub (realised it's littered with pesky sentences like 'He turned, waved, and walked away'  rolleyes)...

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #3124 on: June 06, 2011, 10:44:06 AM »

@Rev--congrats on being the "most professional" and it seems you have made yourself busy for the next while--but it sounds like an enjoyable "busy"

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3125 on: June 07, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »

Cheers jsorensen - I'm currently the busiest I've ever been in my life, but I'm (largely) really enjoying it    grin

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3126 on: June 07, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »

I'm looking forward tomorrow. A train ride to Llangollen - a quaint seaside resort in North Wales - where I am to deliver a workshop on characterisation to the Llandudno Writers' Club for a fee. The fee is being paid for by Welsh Literature and consequently they have asked me to write a 150-word feedback and grade out of 10 on the group's hospitality, attentiveness, discipline, etc. Haha. This is because many of their funds go to writers giving workshops in schools. For the active session of my delivery I am giving them photographs of condemned prisoners last meals. They are to made notes on their probable backgrounds, age, gender and crimes. Should be quite an afternoon.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3127 on: June 08, 2011, 02:06:43 AM »

Great stuff, Geoff! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3128 on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:47 AM »

Hope you enjoy it, Geoff afro

Me and the missus went to watch Lee Evans last night at the Octagon Theatre. It was one of those performances where he was trying out new material on a small audience, so he was reading from a big wad of sweaty cue sheets. He was very funny in places. There was a fair bit of toilet humour, though. I'd have rather heard less of that. I'm no prude, but I think he could do better than that.

What I found really interesting was how different people laughed at different parts of the act. For much of it I sat feeling amused, but not enough to laugh out loud, then occasionally he would say or do something that made me laugh, and when I was laughing, hardly anybody else was. Yet, when everybody else was properly doubled up, I sat there smiling. I noticed another group of people who laughed at other times, and one or two laughed at everything, to the point I thought they're have to be given oxygen.

Good night, though -- he received a standing ovation at the end smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3129 on: June 08, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »

Yep, I enjoyed the afternoon in Llandudno delivering a characterisation workshop. I wondered if giving them pics of condemned prisoners last meals might be too macabre for them but they stuck into them and came up with load of character ideas. They paid close attention to the final answers - ie the identity of the prisoners, their crimes and backgrounds. In general the more intelligent asked for less on the plate. Women to be executed - more healthy foods!

Good luck and congratulations to Serbian-American author Tea Obreht who won the 2011 Orange Prize for Fiction for her debut novel The Tiger's Wife. However, I think if women want to have less sex-discrimination in general then it should be in the arts too. Men aren't allowed to enter the Orange yet no literary competition or publisher forbids women to enter. Ummm.

marc_chagall
« Reply #3130 on: June 09, 2011, 03:25:04 AM »

Happy 96th birthday Les Paul. Just LOVE today's google guitar. Brilliant!  afro

In other news, I managed to catch the rag and bone man the other day, and he kindly relieved me of the 40 odd kilos of rusty old iron in my backyard. Commented it was heavy, but picked it up practically one handed and tossed it inito the back of his truck. Superhero!
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3131 on: June 09, 2011, 05:28:07 AM »

Just checked out the Google Les Paul thing - awesome!

D

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3132 on: June 09, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »

In other news, I managed to catch the rag and bone man the other day, and he kindly relieved me of the 40 odd kilos of rusty old iron in my backyard. Commented it was heavy, but picked it up practically one handed and tossed it inito the back of his truck. Superhero!

Sounds like a proper bloke afro

(Not like some namby pamby British Gas fairy) fugly

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #3133 on: June 09, 2011, 10:12:07 PM »

Rag and Bone Man. That sounds like a proper horror story title. It's not a phrase I'm familiar with.

British Gas Fairy... strange fantasy maybe?

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
Rook
Critter

« Reply #3134 on: June 09, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »

Rag and Bone Man. That sounds like a proper horror story title. It's not a phrase I'm familiar with.

British Gas Fairy... strange fantasy maybe?

Or Erotica?

grin

(I really shouldn't post when I'm tired. I get silly. hiding)

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 208 [209] 210 211 212 213 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx