News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_chagall

Wikipedia on 'Rag and Bone Man' for those who don't know the phrase: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag_and_bone_man. 'British Gas Fairy' needs no explanation  :2funny:

Ed

Quote from: elay2433 on June 09, 2011, 10:12:07 PM
Rag and Bone Man. That sounds like a proper horror story title. It's not a phrase I'm familiar with.

I remember them from when I was a kid, but haven't seen one in years. They used to trundle around neighbourhoods with a horse drawn cart, yelling, "ANY OLD IRON! ANY OLD IRON!" I suppose they were a leftover from the days when there was no organised rubbish collection. They would take anything that could be recycled. Whatever else you had left over had to be buried in your garden.

QuoteBritish Gas Fairy... strange fantasy maybe?

:grin: I can just imagine how that plays out for an American. That wasn't what I had in mind at all. Kinda like the tooth fairy, only with added wind and a pissy attitude :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Pharosian

Arrived in England Thursday noon, and it's been a whirlwind of activity since: From Heathrow we drove west and did a tour of Stonehenge, then continued on to Somerset, where we had a lovely dinner with Ed and his wife. The next morning we did some more sightseeing then made our way to Cambridge, where we surprised my mother-in-law. It was her birthday, and my husband had told her we were too busy with work to get away. She was overjoyed when we walked into the restaurant where her partner had taken her for dinner (he was in on it). Today we attended a surprise party in her honor at which over 50 of her friends were gathered.

Every time I visit England, I'm blown away by how beautiful it is. And this time, instead of the jetlag I've suffered on previous trips, my body clock is acting as though I'd traveled west instead of east: I'm asleep by midnight (7 PM EST), and awake before 6 AM (1 AM EST). Bizarre.

elay2433

QuoteArrived in England Thursday noon, and it's been a whirlwind of activity since: From Heathrow we drove west and did a tour of Stonehenge, then continued on to Somerset, where we had a lovely dinner with Ed and his wife.

Man, I'm jealous. Sounds like a fine adventure. Gotta warn you though, I heard some weird things about a certain Rag and Bone man that haunts that area... and beware of the British Gas Fairy.

Have fun, Pharo.

marc_chagall

Glad you're having a good time. Years since I've been to Stonehenge, but we always used to stop off there when driving down to the West Country. Years since I've been to Cambridge, come to that. Had a b/friend there once in what feels like a previous life. Lovely city (though my heart belongs to Oxford - had a far superior b/friend there).

Ed

It was nice to meet a fellow doomer face to face. Shame we're all so far apart, otherwise we could have a mini convention. It's also a shame I didn't get my shit together enough to go to the Borderlands Bootcamp Jerry attended. I was looking forward to that.

Rainy day here. I've just been slobbing around for most of it, so far -- when the weather's like this, my hibernation instinct cuts in, and I stay in my cave. The missus took the kids camping this weekend, which meant I got two of the best night's sleep I get all year this weekend. She's now packing up the tent in the wind and the rain, sixty odd miles away, with four sullen kids in tow, while I sit here in the warm, nursing a fresh cup of coffee and a nice big cake :fugly:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

˙˙˙ʎɐpoʇ ʎʌɹnʇ-ʎsdoʇ ʇıq ɐ ƃuılǝǝɟ

delboy

Work life balance has gone all ʎʌɹnʇ-ʎsdoʇ on me. Just when I thought it was safe to pick up my pen/open MSWORD the business floodgates open and it's worse than ever. I'm sure that in a few months/years time things will settle down but for the time being I think I'd feel like too much of a fraud to keep coming to a forum and talking about writing.

But ne'er fear. I will be back  :cool:

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

elay2433

QuoteShame we're all so far apart, otherwise we could have a mini convention.

Now that would be fun.

QuoteIt's also a shame I didn't get my shit together enough to go to the Borderlands Bootcamp Jerry attended. I was looking forward to that.

If they ever get to the point where they're running seperate tracks again (one for short story and one for novel), I'll probably go back. You planning to go back?

Sounds like you're taking a leave of absence, Del? Hopefully it's a short one.

desertwomble

http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

delboy

QuoteSounds like you're taking a leave of absence, Del? Hopefully it's a short one.

Hopefully  ;)   I'm getting stressed out trying to juggle too many plates and spin too many balls. Potentially my band's last gig this coming weekend (the bass player is emigrating) so that'll free up some time and by not forcing myself to write I'll be able to focus on work for a few months and maybe get over the hump. Have stopped visiting loads of sites that I tended to frequent infrequently in an attempt to make time. So we shall see... Off to give a guitar lesson now!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Quote from: elay2433 on June 13, 2011, 12:50:14 PM

QuoteIt's also a shame I didn't get my shit together enough to go to the Borderlands Bootcamp Jerry attended. I was looking forward to that.

If they ever get to the point where they're running seperate tracks again (one for short story and one for novel), I'll probably go back. You planning to go back?

I always planned to go back for the novel track, but I just haven't been getting on with it. I'd say maybe next year, but I've been saying that for about three years, so far.

QuoteSounds like you're taking a leave of absence, Del? Hopefully it's a short one.

Ditto. Don't be a stranger Del -- us no timers have to stick together. I feel like a fraud, too, but I'm gradually getting used to it... is that a good or a bad thing? :scratch:

LashSlash

Quote from: delboy on June 13, 2011, 01:36:28 PM
  I'm getting stressed out trying to juggle too many plates and spin too many balls.
.... dont get your priorities mixed up; avoid getting into a twist .... you spin plates and juggle balls :cheesy:

Geoff_N

Quote from: LashSlash on June 14, 2011, 05:05:45 AM
  I'm getting stressed out trying to juggle too many plates and spin too many balls.
.... dont get your priorities mixed up; avoid getting into a twist .... you spin plates and juggle balls :cheesy:
So that's where I've been going wrong.
Come back soon, Del.

jsorensen

Quote from: LashSlash on June 14, 2011, 05:05:45 AM

We're suppose to have plates?
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'