gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 05:42:16 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589716 times)
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3165 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:04 AM »

We finally arrived home around midnight, nearly 23 hours after waking up in Cambridge on our last day in England. 
We had a great time during our stay: saw lots of gorgeous countryside, ate well, and enjoyed the company of everyone we met.  Not looking forward to going to work tomorrow...
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3166 on: June 21, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »

Glad you made it home safely and that enjoyed your stay over here in Blighty. It was good to meet up and chew the fat a bit. Thanks for making the effort afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3167 on: June 21, 2011, 06:18:32 PM »

Glad you enjpyed your stay in Britain. Pity we didn't meet up in either Nottingham or Chester. I even shaved and tidied up.  Could be useful if someone else arrives in the  next month...

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3168 on: June 22, 2011, 04:03:07 AM »

Ha!  grin

No, we didn't get very far north this trip. But <AustrianAccent>I'll be back!</AustrianAccent>
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3169 on: June 22, 2011, 05:45:13 AM »

How many British Gas engineers does it take to replace a carbon monoxide monitor?
One to confirm the unit we bought off them last year  was  faulty, but he had no spares in his van.
Second one wasn't told by the system that it was the reason he called at our house.
Third to spend less than one minute to believe #1 and give me the replacement after activating it.

When a CO monitor beeps in earnest or in fault we lowly consumers are not allowed to access the batteries or any other innards.

So that was  3 mornings I had to spend indoors waiting, but at least I got some editing and writing done smiley

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3170 on: June 22, 2011, 07:05:28 PM »

They really are a useless bunch of prats. I don't know how they keep going rolleyes

Uncanny thing happened tonight at the house -- I bought two sheets of moisture resistant plasterboard to re-do the bathroom partition walls above the bath. I reasoned two would be enough, because a standard bath is 1700mm long by 700mm wide, and a sheet of plasterboard is 1200mm wide, so it should be enough to do one length and a width, but as we all know, life has a habit of throwing variables into the most simple equations.

I put up the full sheet, then made my cut and hung that piece. I then measured the gap that was left -- I needed a piece 695mm wide. With trepidation, I plodded down the stairs with tape measure in hand. Measured the offcut... it was precisely 695mm wide. Fitted the gap snugly, with not a mm to spare. My brother-in-law watched on in amazement, "That never happens," he said. He's right, too. But tonight, it happened. Millimetre perfect. I don't think you can fully comprehend how rare a moment that was unless you're in the construction industry, but I thought I'd share, anyway. Shocked

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
marc_chagall
« Reply #3171 on: June 23, 2011, 12:57:42 AM »

You're right. It never happens. I think you must have sold your soul to the goblin who was sitting in the bath watching it all. That's the only explanation.  scratch
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3172 on: June 23, 2011, 02:59:29 AM »

Article I stumbled across on the train home from London yesterday:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/8589963/Self-publishing-writer-becomes-million-seller.html

Kind regards,

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3173 on: June 23, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »

Interesting article. Although, it is disturbing to see someone undercut $10 by going to $.99. I mean, he could have gone to $5.99 and it would be a significant cut. This thinking though, is likely what led to the rockbottom pricing on ebook formats.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #3174 on: June 23, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »

There is definitely some odd pricing on Amazon's ebooks.  The .99 books that I've sampled so far have been consitently awful but rank high in sales, whereas the books that I sample and like are going for 5.00 - 13.00 dollars.  I'm not sure I could pay over three dollars for an ebook (which seems reasonable) but the market is flooded by bad cheap books and over priced good ones...some middle ground would be nice...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
marc_chagall
« Reply #3175 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »

Had a fabulous lunch today. Pics and report on Oonah's blog here. http://networkedblogs.com/jHQhF.
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3176 on: June 27, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »

Had a fabulous lunch today. Pics and report on Oonah's blog here. http://networkedblogs.com/jHQhF.

Great stuff! Looks like a fab time was had by all.

DW Cheesy

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3177 on: June 27, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »

Looks thoroughly enjoyable. It's a real treat to spend time with people you share an interest with, isn't it smiley

Caz
Critter

« Reply #3178 on: June 27, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »

Got back form a long weekend in Northern Ireland today. It was fairly warm over there but when I got of the plane at Stanstead it was like walking into a furnace, sure is hot down here in the south. Saw a good film whilst iI was away, 'The Adjustment Bureau', and noticed Philip K Dick's name as the credits rolled. I reckon he must've had his thinking hat on when he figured out a way for the adjustment folk to move through the either. grin 

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3179 on: June 28, 2011, 03:21:27 AM »

It was crazy hot on Sunday -- had real trouble getting to sleep that night, and woke every hour, too hot. Yesterday was muggy as hell, with the risk of thunder, which never came. Back to normal today. Gunmetal sky, cool, with the risk of showers. British weather really must be the most variable in the world, surely?

Another day of work ahead -- feels like mid week already. That's the trouble with working all weekend. You lose your marker for where one week ends and the next begins.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 [212] 213 214 215 216 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx