News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Austin

I've been sequestered away in my study catching up on coursework for my teaching course and it's absolutely unbearable hot in there, and really isn't conducive to a decent working environment  :cheesy: I've got to do a 30 min microteach on Wed night, and my topics are going to be story elements, with particular reference to genre tropes. I'm pretty excited, and only hope I get to cram in all the stuff I want to talk about in those 30 mins as well as involve the learners (as we've been told to call students/pupils)!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Pharosian

I'm so glad the temperatures were cool when we visited; it was a nice change of pace from the 90+ muggy temps they had here while we were away.

Yesterday it was quite cool here, and it reminded me of last year (or the year before?) when it was actually COLD on the 4th of July, which almost never happens.

As for variable weather, we had a saying back in Michigan: If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes... So I don't think you Brits have a corner on the market for fickle weather. (Do you use that phrase over there? To have a corner on the market?)

Pharosian

Quote from: Rev. Austin on June 28, 2011, 08:30:05 AM
... as involve the learners (as we've been told to call students/pupils)!

We get closer every day to having Newspeak as our official language...  What a prophet George Orwell is turning out to be!  :o

Ed

We say, "Don't think you've cornered the market...." I've no idea where it comes from, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the common practice of having grocery stores on the corners of intersecting roads? :scratch:

It's a shame you didn't make it here a few weeks before, when it was a dry, sunny, breezy 70-75 degrees. That's how I like it, anyway.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Pharosian

Yep, that sounds like ideal weather to me, too!

Just got home from a company-sponsored bowling tournament. My team did well enough in the first round to make the playoff for the grand prize, but we choked in the second round. That meant our last game was just for fun, so naturally I scored 28 pins higher than in the 2nd. Oh, well. A good time was had by all, which is what counts.

LashSlash

OVER HERE I SEE A CLOUD IN THE SKY!!! -- will it rain before october? ....the suspense is killing me.....

marc_chagall

Busy framing pictures for an exhibition in August run by my art teacher. I've bought frames at rock bottom prices so that I can hopefully sell at a price people can afford and still make a small profit. At last year's exhibition, only one(!) picture sold (not one of mine). It was probably the cheapest one in the show. People in rural Weardale simply don't have any money. It's a great shame.

delboy

Just popping in to say good morning, as per the thread title... Still have an on-going feeling of being battered and bruised, stressed and stretched, and rocked and rolled because of work. I really need to find a mechanism by which I can separate out my work and personal lives (however little time I have for the latter at the moment). Been getting up at 5.00 am this week to head off to London and getting back home late in the evening and even then waking in the early hours thinking about it all. Not good. But I don't see an end to it at the moment.

Have a day off tomorrow though - my old (well, not so old, but old as in my last band as opposed to my current band) bass player and very good friend died unexpectedly so it's up to Birmingham for his funeral. Sad times - but times that makes one think and evaluate and reminisce. I keep thinking everything will be all right in a few years time...but events like this make you realise you have to think about the now not the future. Some of us mightn't make it that far.

On the writing side I'm longing to write again. Read a few good books recently (and some bad ones) and am feeling suitably inspired. I'm actually missing it terribly. I feel a bit like a dam that is holding back a rising body of water, I can feel the pressure growing and know that soon it'll be imperative to release some of that pressure or else things could get messy.

Also, bought a new guitar, which is always a good thing. Alas, having to sell an old one (which isn't so good) to fund it.

Onwards and upwards!

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

I had a rejection yesterday for my spoof Janet & John story, but the publisher of Kaleidoscope said to submit more stories to them when they re-open again after Christmas. Christmas! As if I'll remember.
This (regular) disappointment was offset by an acceptance of my In Absentia story (critted here at CD - story of a man who thought he has amnesia but he was a  little girl's imaginary  friend) for  the British Fantasy Society's 40th anniversary anthology, Full Fathom 40. Quite chuffed at that. The story had been publshed also at Twice the Terror print antho from Horrozine and won the editor's  pick.  So thanks CD critters!!

desertwomble

Quote from: Geoff_N on July 02, 2011, 03:17:02 PM
......an acceptance of my In Absentia story (critted here at CD - story of a man who thought he has amnesia but he was a  little girl's imaginary  friend) for  the British Fantasy Society's 40th anniversary anthology, Full Fathom 40. Quite chuffed at that. The story had been publshed also at Twice the Terror print antho from Horrozine and won the editor's  pick.  So thanks CD critters!!

Nice hit, Geoff!

DW :2thumbs:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Ed

That was a nice hit -- congrats, Geoff :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

JonP

jsorensen

@Geoff--congrats on the acceptance, and the description of your story:

Quote from: Geoff_N on July 02, 2011, 03:17:02 PM
In Absentia story (critted here at CD - story of a man who thought he has amnesia but he was a  little girl's imaginary  friend

sounds great...sorry I missed the crit of it, will need to look through the past sessions to see if it's still there and give it a looksies...
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'

Pharosian

@Geoff -- Congratulations!  :dance:

@Jeff -- Geoff's story was submitted in the September, 2009 session, and it's in Crit Weeks >> Archive (page 4) in the Critique Group forum.

jsorensen

Thanks Pharosian--I'll look it up in a bit...
He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. 'The horror!'