gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 03:50:51 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589015 times)
Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #3210 on: July 10, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »

Think I'll give The Cell one last try then give it up for dead.   

Three tries is all, eh?  I've sold a story for semi-pro rates after ten rejections.  I wouldn't give up on your story so quickly if I were you.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3211 on: July 10, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »

Yep, I think my record was seven rejections before getting picked up. Worth plugging away a few more times afro

Had a relatively good day today. Lay in until half past ten this morning -- that never happens. I woke up actually feeling something close to refreshed, too, and that's even rarer. Gave myself the day off. Didn't do anything but cook dinner, all day. I felt a little guilty, but with working quite a few evenings and weekends lately, I've been feeling very tired, and I've been making silly mistakes, so I'm hoping a day off might redress the balance.

Half thinking about taking a holiday sometime soon. Not sure where to go this time. We've done Italy for the past four or five years, which I love, but I think it may be time for a change. The kids desperately want to go to America, but that's going to be mega expensive, so I can't see it happening. In addition, because the US has ended their visa waiver scheme for the UK, we would all have to go to the American Embassy in London, to get visas, so that adds significantly to the cost.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
leatherdykeuk
Global Moderator

« Reply #3212 on: July 10, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »

Have a good time, Geoff. I grew up in Newcastle and still love the place.
marc_chagall
« Reply #3213 on: July 11, 2011, 02:55:27 AM »

Was hoping to meet Geoff at the UKAuthors Newcastle jaunt, but unfortunately he has to leave before the end of the week and I'm only there for the Saturday/Sunday! Most frustrating.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3214 on: July 11, 2011, 08:53:11 AM »

Ed, where in particular do your kids want to go in America? Is there something they want to see or do, or is it just the idea of it?
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3215 on: July 11, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »

I think they think it's going to be waaaay more exciting than it actually is, their understanding of the place coming mostly from watching kids' TV and feature films with lots of shoot-outs and car chases. I've told them about Kennedy Space Centre, and how you can walk around the rockets, etc. So I expect we would go there. If we timed it right, we might be able to see something take off, which would be cool. Last time me and the missus were there we missed the launch of the space shuttle -- we were about five miles away, getting ready to go over there. Would have liked to have seen the last one go up a few days ago. Nevermind.

I wasn't overly keen on Florida last time. I preferred the west coast, but that side's even more pricey. I don't know what we'll do. The main thing is to keep the kids occupied. They're at that age where they want to be doing something all the time.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3216 on: July 12, 2011, 04:03:21 AM »

The arts education collective I'm part of had our first public workshops this weekend - they were simultaneously stressful and highly enjoyable! If anyone of you would like to see what we got up to, here's some links  smiley

http://www.facebook.com/tinpotcollective
http://tinpotcollective.wordpress.com/

I can now finally get back on with my writing! Returned to a couple of pieces last night that both came from dreams I had - both surreal and a little unsettling, but interesting (but then I would say that haha). Now all I need to do is figure out how they can end  Cheesy

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3217 on: July 13, 2011, 03:02:42 AM »

The way work is shaping up, we won't have time to go on holiday.  rolleyes

That's the trouble with having the school holidays slot, bang smack in the middle of the busiest time of year in construction. I have three projects to finish off before the 19th August, one of which we haven't yet started, and on or about that same date, we have about a thousand metres of steel pipe to put into a chicken farm.

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3218 on: July 14, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »

FINALLY got my PC back online, which means you chumps will start to see a lot more of me around here again  hiding hahaha

I live above a charity shop, and they're always throwing away really cool stuff that me and my housemate salvage. Last night they chucked this in the bin:

It's an extremely old, extremely beautiful bible. The front cover fell off when we picked it up, but otherwise it's in pretty good nick. It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but the words inscribed on the cover say 'The HOLY SCRIPTURES which make wise unto salvation'.

elay2433
Critter

« Reply #3219 on: July 14, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »

live above a charity shop, and they're always throwing away really cool stuff that me and my housemate salvage.

Cool! Nice find.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3220 on: July 14, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »

That is very cool! It's quite the writing prompt in itself. Actually, I'd bet something like that has quit e value.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
marc_chagall
« Reply #3221 on: July 14, 2011, 01:36:08 PM »

That is very cool! It's quite the writing prompt in itself. Actually, I'd bet something like that has quit e value.

Unfortunately not. Victorian bibles are ten a penny. It would cost far more to fix the binding than the book is worth. Shame, but there were hundreds of thousands of these produced and there are plenty still knocking around.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3222 on: July 14, 2011, 04:05:35 PM »

I've just eaten a very tasty minute steak with boiled spuds and cold butter, runner beans and fried onions, accompanied by three large glasses of Beaujolais Villages, and I'm suddenly finding myself neck-deep in a feeling of health and wellbeing. Wonder if it was the beans? scratch

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3223 on: July 15, 2011, 02:34:15 PM »

Unfortunately not. Victorian bibles are ten a penny. It would cost far more to fix the binding than the book is worth. Shame, but there were hundreds of thousands of these produced and there are plenty still knocking around.
Delph's right. OTOH I picked up a big old book at a jumble sale years ago for 10p When I examined it at home it was a first edition  Bartholomews Library Reference Atlas of the World, 1890. Like your atlas, Rev, it isn't worth much (about £120) but the maps - oh those maps!

Rev. Austin
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3224 on: July 15, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »

My housemate's mad for maps! We've got loads of 'em on our living room wall - some quite old!

I'm a little surprised they're still so common (the bible, I mean, not maps. I think it's pretty obvious why everyone still likes maps) but then...am I?  Cheesy It's still one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen - and touched! And the smell, oh my goodness I might be inhaling spores but they smell lovely and old.

Subbed a load of stories tonight. It's been MONTHS since I last did so (not counting that phobia story from the crit group). I keep looking at sites/zines, going "Why, that's exactly the sort of thing I write!" but then I'll find something in a particular story that makes me go "Hmmm, I bet they wouldn't like that" and I kind of lose my nerve. It winds me up a bit when someone subs a story that is "more of less" what I'm after. I would hate to do that (inadvertently or otherwise) to someone else haha OR WOULD I?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 219 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx