News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Well, that's another weekend over. I swear time speeds up on Friday night and slows down on Monday morning ::)

Hope you all had a good one :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

marc_chagall

Certainly did. Went to the 'UKAlive' event in Newcastle where I re-acquainted myself with the kittiwake colony under the Tyne Bridge, had fabulous fish and chips on the quayside, then later on read some of my poems plus my story from the Escape Velocity anthology, drank too much, ate too much, stayed up into the wee small hours which is something I hardly ever do, and generally had a great time. Was expecting to have to sit on a creaky old double-decker bus for two hours on Sunday to get home, but the excellent David Gardiner kindly dropped me off on his way back to Walthamstow. What a hero!

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

Good work on the subbing, Rev. Many months...quarters... since I subbed anything. Have done a bit of writing recently, but it's kind of plotless meanderings that may or may coalesce into something over the long term.  :huh:

Sounds like a great weekend, Delph! Mine was a quiet weekend, although I did have a meal out both Saturday and Sunday which was nice. Also watched a couple of hours of the Tour De France and, at the same time - in a wonderous feat of multi-tasking- continued to improve my solo guitar set for a wedding gig in September. Now have a fingerstyle version of "When I'm Sixty Four" that I'm quite pleased with, and have also sketched out a basic version of Leo Sayer's "When I Need You" which falls under the fingers rather nicely and is in waltz time, too, which is always nice.

Interesting to see the continuing fall out from the phone hacking scandal. I suspect that in the end a few high profile fall guys will take the rap and the real power-brokers will continue to run things from the shadows. If someone is able to hack into my phone I wish they'd delete some of my old messages - whenever I try and do so I just end up going back to the main menu.

Hey ho. Work calls...

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

Cheers Del!

My weekend went by in a horrid blur of alcohol hahah been a while since that happened, I can tell you! Also sorted some more gigs for Handsome Bastards, and organised yet another band, but that'll be a two-piece psych/prog rock adventure haha I've also also being acting as a beta reading on a soon-to-be published novel, which is an exciting situation. I'm now trying to stop watching Supernatural long enough to get back on with that, and more writing  ::)
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Geoff_N

In this morning's sunshine, while persuading my front-garden weeds to grow elsewhere, I heard moaning from an upstairs window across the street. I was undecided whether to bang on their door offering help, or to applaud.

Ed

My wife was moaning just a minute ago. I was standing in front of the dishwasher while she was trying to load it :afro:

desertwomble

Quote from: Ed on July 20, 2011, 04:41:59 PM
My wife was moaning just a minute ago. I was standing in front of the dishwasher while she was trying to load it :afro:

My wife#s got a dishwasher - me!

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

marc_chagall

Went to the Wear Valley Writers end of term 'party' last night. A very civilised affair. Wine, nibbles, and readings from those of us who'd had competition/publication successes in the last few months, including a fabulous story from Stan Walinets, who's just won second prize in the Frome short story competition. Well deserved. Tonight it's the end of term dinner party for the French class. More wine, and many courses of dinner, by the end of which I suspect only the tutor (who IS French) will be able to remember how to speak the language.

Ed

Good stuff :afro:

I've had a crap evening. Spent three hours tiling at the other house, then came home, had my tea, and started on my accounts -- piles and piles of invoices to check and record. Got through it all, wrote out a couple bills, and here I am. Still more to do, but it can wait until tomorrow. I've had enough for one night. ::)

ozmosis7

Just saw Amy Winehouse died. Sad someone has to go so young.
Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

Ed

Yep, sad as hell, but in some ways it's a wonder it hasn't already happened. Nobody could say they didn't see it coming from a country mile away.

It's such a waste of a gift. Only a week or two ago she got bood off stage again, somewhere in the Czech Republic, I think. She had gone on stage wasted and mumbled her way through a couple of songs. A few years ago, my wife had tickets to go and see her, but the night before she got bood off stage and then cancelled all future dates.

She was only twenty-seven.

Pharosian

The nightly news program we watch pointed out that Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain all died at the age of 27, just as Amy did.

ozmosis7

Quote from: Pharosian on July 24, 2011, 09:16:40 AM
The nightly news program we watch pointed out that Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Kurt Cobain all died at the age of 27, just as Amy did.

Wow. So much talent in all those names, and all at 27.
Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

Ed

And all drug/alcohol related deaths.