News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozmosis7

Was Curt's drug/alcohol related? I thought his was more of a mental issue.
Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

Ed

Quote from: ozmosis7 on July 24, 2011, 09:55:15 AM
Was Curt's drug/alcohol related? I thought his was more of a mental issue.

Yep -- he was high on a mix of heroin and valium when he put the gun to his head. He said something along the lines of the joy had gone out of his life and he no longer felt the thrill he used to get from music. Maybe if he had stopped numbing himself with drugs he might have had more luck with all of that.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

ozmosis7

Wow, didn't know that. His was a really sad loss.
Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

Rev. Austin

Morning, fellow CDers! I just received a rejection...for a story I didn't write hahaha I've politely asked the editor if they meant to contact someone else, or simply mixed the titles up (I'm, of course, hoping it's the former option)  ;)

The other day my housemate and I got hold of an Olivetti Lettera 37 typewriter (in mint condition), and we wondered if it was worth anything (my housemate collects typewriters) but we can't find anything about this particular model online anywhere - well, I found a Portuguese site selling one for 70 quid, but that's literally all I found. Do any of you folks know anything about typewriters/this particular one?

facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Pharosian

Rev, after doing a little googling on the topic of "Olivetti Lettera 37," it appears that one can still purchase ink ribbons for it at no great expense. This suggests to me that it has not yet reached the antique stage. I then went on eBay, and while I didn't find any 37s, there were a number of models available with "buy it now" prices in the range of $25 to $99, with an average of about $50 -- well under the 70 quid you mentioned.

Rev. Austin

I found that sort of stuff, but it didn't deter my housemate - she's quite excited about the worth of the 37 because there's almost no info on this particular model itself "it must be rare" she said. "Or there's so many of them they're not worth selling" I counterered  ;)

Ed

Nice looking typewriter :afro:

I've just booked our holiday. Dunno why, but we just couldn't be bothered to fly anywhere, so we're hitting CenterParcs for a week and maybe going out for days here and there after that. I feel knackered, and I need a couple of weeks to unwind. Simple as that. I'm feeling irritable a lot of the time, and that's a sure sign I need some down time. Hopefully, with all the activities available there, we'll get a bit of respite from the kids, too. They'll have the whole place to roam free in with their bikes and no cars, so in theory they should give us at least some time off.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

delboy

I know the feeling, Ed. I was looking at my diary and realised it's over 5 months since I've had any time off work. Going to get away in a few weeks time, and I can't wait !  :cool:
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I promised myself I'd take more time off this year, Del, but it hasn't happened. Just seem to be flat out busy all the time. I had one week where I thought I might be in trouble with not enough to do, but even then I only managed to take one day off before it went crazy again. In many ways I'm very lucky to have weathered the storm unscathed this far, so I feel a tad guilty about complaining :scratch:

We all need a bit of down time, though, don't we :smiley:

Ed

Wow -- it has been really quiet here for the past few days. What's everybody up to? :smiley:

Rev. Austin

I've been busy with band practices this week, and mixing down some proper recordings - my friends who've heard them keep saying "You're actually really good on guitar" like it's the world's least likeliest fact  :grin: got a gig in Grimsby tonight, at the grand reopening of some rock club/pub called Matrix, which is very exciting.

Got two rejections recently - one was what I mentioned the other day; turns out the editor mixed up story titles, and did intend to reject me   :'( then got one today for that sci-fi piece I had in the crit group ages ago. Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Rook

Quote from: Ed on July 29, 2011, 02:38:38 AM
Wow -- it has been really quiet here for the past few days. What's everybody up to? :smiley:

Got a new dog yesterday. Not voluntarily. My mother picked her up, covered in ticks, running around up the street. Pit crossed with something or the other. Sweet thing, though. No aggression, (loves my dog and the cats), willing to please--despite not knowing ANY vocal commands. She's picking it up quick though. Hopefully by the time we find her a permanent home she'll have her basics down. Wish I could keep her, but one dog is sufficient drain on the resources at the moment. :( Luckily she has a nice healed surgery mark on the side of her belly, so she won't need fixing...

Course, now I realize just how spoiled my dog is. He shrieks bloody murder if she jumps near him when he's trying to sleep. ::) And she's 35lb to his 80. And she adores him, so pesters him every waking moment. :grin:

Cooked homegrown chicken Sunday. Pan fried it, with fresh rosemary and thyme from my herb pots. Mashed purple potatoes from my dad's garden, and browned carrots and onions. Heaven. :smitten:

Other than that, the heat's been eating my physical energy, and the novel my mental...  :shocked:
I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg

notsoscarey

Howdy, ya'll.  Today is a day off and I haven't done much but clean the bathroom, wash some dishes and watch Highlander.  I should get back to some writing projects but I feel tired, lazy, and just blah.   :buck:

Ed

Yeah, I know that blah feeling well, Notso :afro: The muggy heat here has been killing me.

Rook -- that chicken sounds good. I bet it was way tastier than a supermarket chicken. I like to fry chicken on a griddle pan with olive oil and thyme -- haven't tried it with rosemary before, but I bet it's good.

What are you going to do with the new dog, then -- sort out the ticks and then take her to a pet shelter, or try to re-home her yourself? I suppose it's possible somebody's tearing their hair out looking for her.

Rev -- unlucky. Keep sending out the stories, though :afro:

Pharosian

Quote from: Ed on July 29, 2011, 02:38:38 AM

One thing I'm NOT up to is going to my high school reunion this weekend. I thought about it, but in the end I decided that it's not worth the time and expense to travel 350 miles just to see a bunch of people I've been out of touch with for so many years. I didn't go to the last one, either.

I've been really busy at work. One of our biggest customers is making some changes, and we've been supporting the testing and implementation.

Put a little work in on the story I'm submitting for this month's critique group. I wrote it a couple of years ago, and I'm curious to know what people will think of it.