News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

I have a can of Air-duster from Maplins. Just aim it at fans and  boards in your computer and don't breathe while the dust  shoots off. Many computers suffer from dust overheating the components, especially in the summer.

I often cycle to Llangollen from Chester via a hilly 50 miles round trip over Horseshoe Pass. My son has decided to come with me at the end of the  month. Aarrgggh. I 'm so slow compared to him. So today I tested the route I think he'd like and pushed my pedals round hard. Even so I could only manage a measly 10 mph on the way there and back though it was an accumulated 950 metres height and I'd stuffed my panniers to make it a good workout. I deserved my toasted  teacake in my favourite cafe/secondhand bookshop. by the time I  got home my wife thought I'd been sunburnt. Nope, just a red hot face.

Ed

It may be time to invest in a new lightweight bike, Geoff :afro: I can pick my mountain bike up with one finger, whereas I need both hands to lift the kids' gearless BMXs with all their stunt pegs and other gizmos. That's the way to do it :afro: Buy him a new bike for Christmas.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Ed, it's my weight that needs drastic reduction, not the bike.  :cheesy:

Ed

Well, I'm officially on my hols. Seven whole days away from home, with nothing to do but relax and take things easy. I've downloaded six of my unfinished short stories, in the hope I'll find the time and inclination to write them to the end. I've also got three books to read. I'll only manage one, at best, but the other two are there in case I get through more than anticipated, or I don't like the first one, or two, and I'll still have one to fall back on.

I'll be taking my laptop, and there are wi-fi hotspots here and there around the place, so I'll check-in here to make sure things are running relatively smoothly here. Something always seems to go wrong when I'm on holiday -- server crashes, or hack attempts, or something. I'll keep looking in, just in case.  :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Pharosian

Ed

Geoff_N

Yes, try to keep away from your laptop and enjoy the sky (not the TV), clouds, countryside, seaside, everything besides work.

I am laughing because one of my long-standing bubbles has burst. I am pretty tolerant of most things and people, believing my gandmother, who said, "Give everyone three faults." But, I hated all those  interminable TV sofa adverts. And then...
suddenly, I can't wait for the CSL ad to come on. Why? Because my daughter's neigbour is the drop-dead  gorgeous woman on the sofa. Abi is early 20s and an actress. She's found it hard to get work as they all do. She's landed walk-on in soaps  such as Emmerdale and  a few stage parts but now she's seen by millions. Sadly, many of those millions would be like I was and rush out to the kitchen to make a cup of tea but not me. It's come on, Abi, next step it's a talking part!

delboy

Have a good break, Ed. I've just returned from a week in Portugal where I've done nothing but lie in out of the sun all day, swim, read, play chess against my 1980's mini chess computer (and occasionally beat it), go for a daily drive for fresh warm bread and local tomatoes, eat and drink. It was totally relaxing. Managed to read two books (one was a 700 pager) and get half way through a third. It was also a rare pleasure to be able to read a newspaper all the way through each day (even if the news from Blighty was somewhat disturbing - but as the week progressed so things improved - especially cricket-wise!). Even came home to find that one of my stories (Where The Pretty Girls Are) has been accepted for an anthology - which, as it's the only thing I've punted out this year, was rather pleasing.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Cool beans, Del :afro: Congrats on the acceptance.

Ed

Woo-hoo -- we've got wifi access  :dance:

Mind you, that's a double edged sword, isn't it? Now I'm free to squander my time on the internet, as per usual, instead of getting on with more productive things :scratch:

Pharosian

@delboy: Congratulations! I remember that story well.  :dance:

@Ed: Yep. Internet access can be a dangerous thing... but your fans here in the Cafe are eagerly awaiting another story from you, so get cracking!  :bleh:

JonP

Excellent news, Del! 100% acceptance rate is pretty damn impressive :)

Rev. Austin

Nice one, Del!

My computer decided to play ball long enough last night to allow me to start writing again; I've been asked to write a 10 min script for a friend, so she can turn it into an entry for a film festival. The 'brief' is "for it to be like a horror movie and it not to be revealed until the end that its all in the lead characters head, and they are really being treated for paranoid delusions." I groaned so loudly I think I scared all the pigeons off the local high street. I'm trying to convince her that that is the most cliche idea possible, but she's pretty keen on it  :cheesy: never one to shy away from a challenge, me!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Pharosian

Oooohh, that WILL be challenge, Rev! Good luck with that.

fnord33

Congratulations  Del.  :cheers:

Rev. I'd make the bulk of the story normal, pleasant, maybe even a comedy and then right at the end throw in the link and show that the MC is actually crazy and either in a psych ward or doing something horrific. If it works you can make the implication that all the other normal activities were something evil as well.

Also, what's wrong with your computer? Would the guts from my previous PC help? (perfectly functional dual core cpu/motherboard/ram)

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs