gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 01:47:27 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588952 times)
marc_chagall
« Reply #3300 on: August 23, 2011, 05:18:47 AM »

My copy of American Gods has just arrived, but I'm avoiding reading the thread further down the forum for fear of spoilers. Will have a look at it when I've finished the book. smiley
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3301 on: August 23, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »

Delph: The butler did it!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3302 on: August 23, 2011, 07:06:17 AM »

I have been careful to mark any spoilers in the thread with ***spoilers*** but it's probably a good idea to steer clear -- if you're anything like me you're tempted to take a look and then immediately regret it.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3303 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:25 PM »

[Runs around frantically] Earthquake!!!!  undecided

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Rook
Critter

« Reply #3304 on: August 23, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »

You're supposed to go OUTSIDE, Oz!

And it was only a little one...bleh 5.9 in Virginia.

This is the first one I've ever felt. House swayed for a few seconds. Nothing broken. It scared my dad. 

Still, would like to avoid them in the future. hiding I get motion sickness...

Dogs were anxious all morning though...maybe I should pay more attention to them, in the future.  scratch

Cheesy

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3305 on: August 23, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »

I suspect many a dad worried. The kids were my biggest concern. I sent the kids to the basement for a while, thinking that was the right thing to do.

Rook
Critter

« Reply #3306 on: August 23, 2011, 03:29:40 PM »

I suspect many a dad worried. The kids were my biggest concern. I sent the kids to the basement for a while, thinking that was the right thing to do.

At least you knew what it was!  afro He didn't believe my mom and I for a moment!

I think you're supposed to either go outside, or shelter in doorways and bathtubs. (don't quote me on that.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:30:59 PM by Rook » Logged

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3307 on: August 23, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »

The advice is to get outside away from things that can fall on you, isn't it? Knowing me, I'd be sat smugly on my drive and either get hit by a stray bus, or the ground would open up under me and I'd fall into a chasm that ends in molten lava rolleyes

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3308 on: August 23, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »

I have no idea. I grew up in the midwest, though, and we were always running to the basement to avoid tornadoes. It was crazy. Only thing I could think of when this happened.

Rook
Critter

« Reply #3309 on: August 23, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

Fema says (I went and looked it up):

Stay as safe as possible during an earthquake. Be aware that some earthquakes are actually foreshocks and a larger earthquake might occur. Minimize your movements to a few steps to a nearby safe place and if you are indoors, stay there until the shaking has stopped and you are sure exiting is safe.

If indoors
 •DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON until the shaking stops. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
•Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
•Stay in bed if you are there when the earthquake strikes. Hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
•Use a doorway for shelter only if it is in close proximity to you and if you know it is a strongly supported, loadbearing doorway.
•Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people inside buildings attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.
•Be aware that the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.
•DO NOT use the elevators.

If outdoors
 •Stay there.
•Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires.
•Once in the open, stay there until the shaking stops. The greatest danger exists directly outside buildings, at exits and alongside exterior walls. Many of the 120 fatalities from the 1933 Long Beach earthquake occurred when people ran outside of buildings only to be killed by falling debris from collapsing walls. Ground movement during an earthquake is seldom the direct cause of death or injury. Most earthquake-related casualties result from collapsing walls, flying glass, and falling objects.

If in a moving vehicle
 •Stop as quickly as safety permits and stay in the vehicle. Avoid stopping near or under buildings, trees, overpasses, and utility wires.
•Proceed cautiously once the earthquake has stopped. Avoid roads, bridges, or ramps that might have been damaged by the earthquake

But my favorite is:

If trapped under debris
•Do not light a match.
•Do not move about or kick up dust.
•Cover your mouth with a handkerchief or clothing.
•Tap on a pipe or wall so rescuers can locate you. Use a whistle if one is available. Shout only as a last resort. Shouting can cause you to inhale dangerous amounts of dust.

ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3310 on: August 23, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Rook
Critter

« Reply #3311 on: August 23, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »

Thanks for the info.

smiley

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3312 on: August 23, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »

Reminds me of the old 'duck and cover' infomercials of the nineteen-fifties. Like a dining room table would be adequate protection in the event of a nuclear holocaust. About fifty years later they actually interviewed one of the people who made the films and asked them WTF they were thinking of. He said none of the advice would have done any good, but it got the people through the Cuban missile crisis thinking they knew what to do if America came under nuclear attack.

Can you ever really trust these people? grin

Rook
Critter

« Reply #3313 on: August 23, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »

Yeah, I was wondering about the wisdom of following anything FEMA says. Personally, if it comes down to it, I'm probably heading for the door--especially in a house, opposed to an apartment.. I'm claustrophobic enough to prefer to take the risk and get out.  Cheesy

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3314 on: August 23, 2011, 10:32:46 PM »

I missed the whole thing.   When I went to a 2:00 meeting, everyone was talking about it. Sad

I did feel an earthquake once when I was living in northern Ohio as a co-op student during college. I thought the cat had jumped up onto the bed until I saw she was sprawled out on the floor! I stayed put and it was all over in a few seconds. I'm just waiting for the New Madrid fault to blow... Apparently it's overdue, and it's the largest fault zone in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 225 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx