gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 12:42:31 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589953 times)
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3360 on: September 15, 2011, 09:51:58 AM »

Cycled from Chester 12 miles against the wind up to Hope Mountain in Wales (not a proper mountain really - only 330 metres (1083 feet) though I start at sea-level. Why? Just to be able to whiz downhill with the "hurricane" blowing me back home. Brilliant, even though I was overtaken by flying twigs.

i think youre quite mad.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3361 on: September 16, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »

It's all gone quiet over there -- must be getting close to competition time. Everybody's got their heads down, writing afro

On a different subject -- the work situation is still very confused. One of the companies I do work for has just cut the worker's hours and introduced an overtime ban, but has just sold two houses very quickly and is building four more. Another plods along as if nothing ever happened, and has also recently sold two houses. I am very busy at the moment, with lots of work coming up in the next few weeks, but I can't see more than five or six weeks ahead, and it's been like that for two years now. I liked it much better when I had a year's work ahead of me every year.

I'm taking the plunge and working towards getting MCS accreditation. That means a week off in October, going back to college and paying £1,200 plus loss of earnings to do the courses necessary to get a foot on the ladder. I reckon it'll cost me another three grand to get the accreditation, and something like another two in lost earnings. All for a scheme the govt could scrap on a whim, and on top of Gas Safe Accreditation and OFTEC, which are both due for renewalnext year, costing £1,500 each. Ouch rolleyes

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3362 on: September 16, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »

Everybody's got their heads down, writing

I've discovered I can't write a short story. I can write a long one... My first attempt at a story for the comp came in at just over 5k, my second is already approaching the 3k limit and I'm only about half way through. Hopefully, I'll get some more inspiration for a third attempt soon.

Good plan on the MCS accreditation. No idea what it is, but I'm not accredited for anything so I'm impressed with anyone that is.

Good to hear that houses are selling. I reckon in ten years time I'll be wanting to move... perhaps I should putt he house on the market now!

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rook
Critter

« Reply #3363 on: September 16, 2011, 08:29:25 AM »

I've made good progress on a story. afro

However, I may decide it's crap and trash it at the last minute... scratch

We'll see.  whoah

Good luck on the accreditation, Ed!  cheers

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
marc_chagall
« Reply #3364 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »

I've forgotten how to write stories  bangh
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3365 on: September 16, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »

I've forgotten how to write stories  bangh

So have I.   Cry

(Of course, that presumes I ever did know how...)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:18:47 AM by Pharosian » Logged
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3366 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »

Been super busy at work helping getting the annual Open Exhibition ready - every year we allow anyone in the region to submit their artwork, with the winner receiving cash and a solo exhibition. Unlike previous years, there's a fair bit of "normal" artwork included this time ie landscapes, portraits etc. Some really good stuff. Even though I only do 3 hour shifts (!) this puts a chink in my days so I haven't done much writing lately - but I've already decided to use all of Monday to do just that. Huzzah!

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Caz
Critter

« Reply #3367 on: September 17, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

On a different subject -- the work situation is still very confused.

The houses we're building seem to be selling okay, and they're not cheap, 350 grand some of them cost. So it looks as if the building trade might be pulling itself out of the big bad slump it got into. I've been on the same site for the best part of a year now so I hope things keep headed in the right direction as there's about 100 more plots to build.
They set of one hell of a bomb at work a few weeks back. We all jumped a mile when it went 'Kaboom!!' A couple of cannons were dig up as well a while back, about ten foot long and with a diameter wider they I can wrap my arms around. They've been dumped in the yard, I don't suppose anyone's worried about them being nicked for scrap as they can't be moved without some serious lifting gear.

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3368 on: September 18, 2011, 06:13:17 AM »

I've forgotten how to write stories  bangh

So have I.   Cry

(Of course, that presumes I ever did know how...)

ouch!! --- i bit my tongue......
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3369 on: September 20, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »

I collected a new spare cycle from a bike shop yesterday. Mainly it will be my son riding it when he’s over from Nottingham. We can then go for some all-day touring together. I’ve a Dawes Super Galaxy at home – great but pricey to have a clone so I ordered its younger sister, a Dawes Vantage. The man in the bike shop said, “I can swap the default saddle for a Brookes quite cheaply.”
I said, “No thanks, the Brookes is made of leather and I’m a veggie.”
“No problem,” he said, “but what about other stuff on the bike that is made from animals?”
“There isn’t anything,” I said, wondering if maybe there was some lanolin in a lubricant.
“Ah,” he said, pointing at the handlebars. “The tape.”
“But... but they’re cork.”
“Yes,” he said, with a smile showing he’d scored.
I waited a minute to see if the penny would drop by itself, but when it didn’t I had to say, “Cork is tree.”

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3370 on: September 20, 2011, 03:12:54 PM »

Wow, what a dope.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rook
Critter

« Reply #3371 on: September 21, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »

“But... but they’re cork.”
“Yes,” he said, with a smile showing he’d scored.
I waited a minute to see if the penny would drop by itself, but when it didn’t I had to say, “Cork is tree.”

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3372 on: September 21, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »

from my observation people generaly laugh at people stupider than themselves, but laugh with people who are cleverer than themselves. i'm puzzled: youre all laughing with yourselves... who's the cleverer one?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:43:21 AM by LashSlash » Logged
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3373 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »

from my observation people generaly laugh at people stupider than themselves, but laugh with people who are cleverer than themselves. i'm puzzled: youre all laughing with yourselves... who's the cleverer one?

You?

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3374 on: September 21, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »

Too simplistic, I fear. The bicycle engineer is much cleverer than me at assembling and repairing bikes, yet I am cleverer because I knew cork wasn't an animal derivative. When he realized his error he laughed at himself and that allowed me to laugh with him.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 [225] 226 227 228 229 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx