gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 12:20:34 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 226 [227] 228 229 230 231 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589540 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3390 on: September 24, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »

There's a train of thought that says peak oil is a myth and there's virtually limitless supplies of the stuff out there. Regardless, I think we should be conserving it for future generations and finding other ways of fueling our way of life. I agree that nuclear is probably the simplest way out if you want zero carbon emissions and an inexhaustible supply of energy. It's counter intuitive, but it is actually the least polluting form of energy and the lightest on our natural resources. When the oil runs out it will inevitably be our main source of power.

Sorry to hear of your woes, Russel -- 25k in a five year old car is absolutely nothing for a diesel engine. Yet another reason why not to buy British, huh? I got offered a really cheap three year old Range Rover a couple weeks ago. It was tempting, because I've always thought of them as being out of my reach, but then I thought of their reliability issues, poor fuel economy, expensive parts and servicing, and I soon decided to stick with my trusty Mitsubishi.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3391 on: September 25, 2011, 05:05:27 AM »

2015? Have you forgotten that the world's going to end next year?

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3392 on: September 26, 2011, 02:58:26 AM »

Sigh. Monday morning again. Still, was a good weekend - Gloucester beat Bath at rugby. It still remains the key match of the season, world cup's notwithstanding. My voice has just about recovered from yelling at the ref. Latest story is coming on very well - although (alas) it's another that has exceeded the competition word count. Even got out on the motorbike twice - once in torrential rain - which, despite that weather, was very enjoyable (and far easier than cycling!). Alas, this week looks like it's going to be a busy one workwise. When Christmas?

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3393 on: September 27, 2011, 07:10:09 AM »

Had a brilliant weekend in Wakefield and Leeds, although it transpires that bar and hotel staff do not value customer service very highly; they were either half-arsed or only vaguely interested in dealing with us. Spent the night in a Travelodge, on the same floor as about three groups of people who all came in between 3 and 5am loud and drunk  Angry but this was counteracted by a visit to the Hepworth gallery (very nice) and Yorkshire Sculpture Park, which was AMAZING. I'm hoping my housemate uploads the pics she took soon because it was a beautiful day and pretty much all the sculptures/exhibits were ace - in particular an exhibition by Jaume Plensa in which he encourages visiotrs to "caress" the work. The highlight for me was a piece called Jerusalem, in which you banged gongs. There was more to it then that, but I'm not posting an essay  Wink  grin

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3394 on: September 29, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »

Was watching a sparrowhawk in my garden this morning. Last night was looking at the moons of Jupiter. And a few minutes ago was listening to a young girl sing beautiful folk songs. Pretty amazing where the big bang led to, when you think about it.

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3395 on: September 29, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »

Was watching a sparrowhawk in my garden this morning. Last night was looking at the moons of Jupiter. And a few minutes ago was listening to a young girl sing beautiful folk songs. Pretty amazing where the big bang led to, when you think about it.

I want a "like" button.

marc_chagall
« Reply #3396 on: September 29, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »

I want a "like" button.

Just what I was thinking, Geoff.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3397 on: September 29, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »

It must be the weather. I watched a buzzard circling effortlessly on a thermal while I was eating my lunch. For the minute or two I watched, it didn't flap its wings at all. It just wheeled and drifted. Gave me a tremendous sense of calm and wellbeing. I'm really enjoying this warm, sunny weather after all the rain we've had all summer. Too bad it won't last.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3398 on: September 29, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me this weekend  azn I told my housemate (who was driving at the time) I find it calming and simply really nice to watch birds doing this, and she thought I was talking rubbish  rolleyes

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3399 on: October 02, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »

Got my roast pork in the oven. Roast tatties, too. Green cabbage and swede are chopped and on the cooker top ready. Crackling is crisping up lovely. Can't wait afro

What a great few days of weather we've had. In some ways it's made me feel sad, though -- made me miss the summer evenings on the patio we should have had, but didn't have the weather for. It really was a crap summer for weather, wasn't it? Shame this sunny spell can't last. I could do with a few weeks of it.

jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #3400 on: October 02, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »

got food poisoning and spent last night on the bathroom floor--not doing much better now, but hopeful it will clear up by teh end of teh day...trying to do some crits but it ain't easy... Cry

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3401 on: October 02, 2011, 05:11:11 PM »

Yuk -- there's nothing that makes you feel quite as wretched as food poisoning. I hope you're feeling better soon, JS undecided

jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #3402 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »

Ed--thanks.  I running the 102 fever now and can't get it down...will need to hold off on crits and get some sub plans together for school tomorrow...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3403 on: October 02, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »

What was it -- seafood or chicken?

Rook
Critter

« Reply #3404 on: October 02, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »

Take care of yourself and feel better, JS!  undecided

Finally happy with a story for the comp. Wrestling with a title, but will send it in tomorrow. dance

Then, I refuse to worry about it until the 31st.  hiding

bleh
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:44:38 PM by Rook » Logged

I think, Sebastian, there for I am.
Say Hi! on Twitter: @rookberg
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 226 [227] 228 229 230 231 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx