News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_chagall

It's about 11 degrees here. Okay, that's centigrade, not Fahrenheit, but still... I can't imagine 102. Not in October.

desertwomble

Over 100 F here today (38 C) - which feels quite cool!

DW :cheesy:
http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

Ed

It's around about 18C here, which is still T shirt weather where I come from, so I'm happy enough. Finished my biomass course. Two exams today -- got 97% in the first, which was annoying, because I was actually and demonstrably right, but my answer didn't correspond with the one in the book. Then I got 100% in the second, so I was chuffed with that. Now comes the headache of trying to get MCS accreditation. After talking to several guys who have done it, I'm not sure I want to put myself through it. Sounds like a real headache :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Pharosian

Congrats on the high scores, Ed!  :dance:

Too bad all the "right" answers weren't in the list. (I assume the "official" answer wasn't wrong--is that a bad assumption?)

The weather's been lovely here: mid 70's F (is that low 20's C?). Been super busy at work combing through spreadsheets and the database. I actually like the work, but I've been putting in a lot of extra hours at night.

Geoff_N

Temp here in Cheshire is also around 18C dropping to 5 overnight. I'm stubbornly staying in shorts (I'm in denial of winter) and even considering camp / cycling down to Gloucestershire before the month is out. Course I have to wear long trousers for meetings or if wife wants me to go to town with her.

I'm considering cycling across Death Valley, CA in November 2012. I'll be 65 then so don't want to leave it until bones and muscles let me down. Plenty of time to train though I reckon I could do it now. Organised for charity moneyraising events it is nearly 300 miles over 5 days - though in rather warm temperatures and somewhat greater ascents than in the UK. Here's the link
http://www.globaladventurechallenges.com/international/deathValley.htm

delboy

Looks great, Geoff. I'd fancy it myself except sunshine and me don't get along. Perhaps I could do it in winter!!
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

delboy

Had a long drive to the far coast of Wales yesterday for a funeral. A sad day, but a beautiful day, and beautiful scenery too, and the tiny village in which the funeral held was lovely also. On the way we were tracking a river and as we drove mile after mile upstream so it became narrower and narrower until eventually one could have stepped across it. From there it burbled along for a few miles, become a rocky brook, then little more than a stream, and eventually it vanished. Turns out it was the mighty River Wye! I love fishing the Wye and it was nice to see it way up there in mid Wales where it begins. There was a red kite hovering above the chapel during the service (we were outside listening via loudspeakers as the chapel was full) and during a moving moment where the speaker was talking about Aled being called home a mysterious wind rose up and all the trees started whispering and shimmering. I used to ride many of these roads most every Sunday and must do so again. Gorgeous country. Long day. Special guy.

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Geoff_N

Sounds great, Del, in spite of the circumstances. You must have been on Plynlimmon (sp?) the source mountain of both the Wye and the Severn. I've tramped up there on geography field trips many a time and enjoyed every minute, raining or nor. Nearest towns I think are Rhayader, Builth Wells and Hay-on-Wye. Lovely country.

delboy

Yep, we were on the A470/A44 from Rhayader across to Aberystwyth, the road track the river for a long way:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.385658,-3.601456&spn=0.122583,0.308647&t=m&z=12&vpsrc=6

Robert B. Parker

Ed

Quote from: Pharosian on October 14, 2011, 11:00:25 AM
Congrats on the high scores, Ed!  :dance:

Thanks -- I was particularly pleased at my results in the first one, because prior to us taking the test the lecturer said nobody ever gets more than 80% in that one.

QuoteToo bad all the "right" answers weren't in the list. (I assume the "official" answer wasn't wrong--is that a bad assumption?)

It was one of those things where the answer has changed between the time when the question was originally written, months ago, and now, when technical advances have been made in the meantime.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Quote from: desertwomble on October 13, 2011, 10:47:43 AM
Quote from: Rev. Austin on October 13, 2011, 10:11:17 AM
...and I've been counting leaflets into piles of 30, which then get correlated into bigger piles and sent to schools.  :cheesy:

Suffering from piles, Rev?

DW :cheesy:

Wah wah wwaahhhhhh!  :grin:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

Life's varied and rocky road...from red kites floating on the breeze and river's bubbling into life on distant mountainsides... to figuring out Ozzy Osborne guitar solos...  :dance:

Robert B. Parker

Pharosian

Quote from: Geoff_N on October 16, 2011, 12:35:39 PM
Nearest towns I think are Rhayader, Builth Wells and Hay-on-Wye. Lovely country.

Lovely, indeed! I've been to Hay-on-Wye. Visited a terrific shop that specialized in puzzles and games.

Rev. Austin

My band came first in a semi-final for the Scunthorpe Rock Open (a battle of the bands, now into its 30th year!) last week, and we got a really ncie little write-up in the latest local rag  :azn: [they call us Custards, since they can't print bastards, or even B******s]  :cheesy:
----------
The Handsome Custards were next up and nothing could have prepared The Light for what was about to happen.

To say this band exploded out of the tracks would be selling them short. This was Rock Open carnage and one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had at a semi-final.

Sounding like a cross between The Pixies and LCD sound system, the band delivered their own unique brand of anarchic, humorous rock powered at a hundred miles per hour. Highlights of the performance included drummer Stuart Hague's bear hat, the band systematically deciding to swap instruments mid set and a full on band/crowd pile-on over wailing feedback.

Worthy winners without a doubt.
--------
I'm living the dream! hahaha
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

marc_chagall