gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 05:46:11 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 238 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589064 times)
notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #3495 on: November 19, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »

Got to sleep in and no neck pain so far again.  (gotta take it when I can!)  Plugging away at my NaNo story and hope to hit 10K by the end of the day.   Cheesy
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3496 on: November 20, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »

If you were buying a new computer, where would you go to get one? We're looking at upgrading, because this one is getting really slow, but I'm not sure what the best route is. PC World always feels like a ripoff, and I'm not everly confident the small independents do a great deal. The other options are to buy online, or do what I did last time -- buy it at Tesco. It was never anything special, but it's done us fine for the past six years or more. What would you do? huh

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
marc_chagall
« Reply #3497 on: November 20, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »

For my last two computers I've bought online direct from Dell, as it's the easiest way to have a computer that's precisely what you want.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3498 on: November 20, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »

I bought online from Dell, too. Many many years ago and it's still working well (touches wood). My PC purchasing philosophy has always been to buy the cheapest one available that does what I need it to do - figuring cheap or expensive, they're both going to be out of date by the time I get them home.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3499 on: November 20, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »

Several years ago I got a Dell purchased online and I LOVED it! I'd probably still be using it, but when it was about 6 years old, my husband bought me a MacBook Air, and I've been using a Mac ever since. My main criteria was that it be small enough to take around comfortably, such as on vacation, and my little C-400 was fantastic. I don't think they make those anymore, but I would recommend Dell, too. Looks like we're all in agreement!  bleh
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #3500 on: November 20, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »

Another vote for Dell. Bought a new computer from them last Christmas. Hard drive went after about four months of use and they got someone out right away to replace it. Pain that the hard drive went, but their customer service was pretty good.

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
akaShoe
Critter

« Reply #3501 on: November 20, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »

Count me in as a HUGE Dell fan. The first computer I purchased from them is still running like a charm, and that was almost 8 years ago. I was a little worried at first... the HDD crapped out within the first couple of months. But they sent a tech to my house to replace it free of charge, which sold me on their service and warranty. More recently, I had a system assembled through a high-end botique vendor that turned out to be a $3000 boat anchor. After FINALLY getting my money back (long story), I purchased an Alienware system through Dell (needed a more powerful rig for video editing and effects rendering, among other things). So far, it's proven the best purchase I've made since... well, my LAST Dell!
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3502 on: November 20, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »

I bought a Dell too about 5 years ago but after 6 months it would make a whining noise. I blew the dust out of it and made sure it was cool, optimised the hard disks, ensured plenty of RAM blah blah but the whining persisted. Dell only suggested buying a new one and rejected my suggestions they should replace it. It might be me. Although I am hard of hearing there are some frequencies I am uber sensitive too. So I bought a silent tower computer from Arbico. Works so well wife bought one for her end of our lounge Wink
When I'm out of the house I take along my Sony Vaio. Amazing machine. Costly but superdupa. 

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3503 on: November 20, 2011, 05:54:59 PM »

Last week on my way home from work one night, I smelled something burning when I stopped at a traffic light. I had also noticed a whining sound coming from under the hood. My husband didn't see anything overtly amiss, so I waited until Friday to take it to the local garage. They told me it was the idler pulley (front wheel drive) and that the burning smell was most likely when the pulley had stopped moving briefly and scorched the belts. So I'm getting all that done PLUS the boots on the CV joint were cracked and I figure it's better to get that done before winter. They weren't able to finish it on Friday, so they gave me a FREE loaner car. I was astonished when they pulled it up in front of the door and it turned out to be a Mercedes Benz!

I was pretty stoked until I actually tried driving it.  rolleyes

The accelerator in my 1999 Nissan needs only a very light touch, but the Mercedes needs a lot more pressure to get moving. The turn signals in my Nissan are perfectly positioned so I don't have to do more than extend a couple of fingers from where they grip the steering wheel. On the Mercedes, they're positioned much farther down. And worst of all, the uniblade windshield wiper on the Mercedes makes more noise than any I've ever heard before: Thwack! Click! Thwack! Click! If I had to drive that car on the 700-mile round trip to Michigan over the holidays and it rained for a significant portion of the trip (which is common at this time of year), I'd go crazy.

Can't wait to get my own car back! It may be 12 years old, but it's well made, well designed, and very comfortable.
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3504 on: November 20, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »

If you  are good at putting puzzles together, I would recommend a bare bones kit from tigerdirect.com or newegg.com. You can get a great pc for 200-300 dollars, but you have to put it together yourself. I think they might also sell built PCs. Either option is most likely cheaper than going through Dell. If you do want to go through dell, you can get 3% cash back with mrrebates

http://www.mrrebates.com/search_stores.asp?k=Dell+Home&g_search_option=S

It's free. Basically you get a free account, then click through their website to buy the item and they send you a check for a percentage of the items cost. Ebates is the same, but they frequently have slightly smaller refund percentages. There's also freeshipping.com. Click through there and you can get free shipping from a ton of places. These sites + tiger direct would get you 6% cash back with free shipping and that's in addition to any black friday deals, coupons, etc...

Yes, I am incredibly cheap.

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3505 on: November 20, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »

Wow, great stuff afro Thanks for all the replies. I like the reassurance you get from a good aftersales service. I'll check out Dell, and newegg, etc. I don't mind putting it together myself -- I've done that before, many years ago, when it was much harder to do than it is now.

I suppose I'll be stuck with using Windows 7, unless I go for an applemac. I don't want it -- I like XP, but then I remember saying the same thing about not wanting XP, so I'm sure it'll be alright in the end. Vista, on my laptop, does my head in. Whatever you do it pops up a box asking if you really want to do it, which invariably provokes a vocal response from me pissed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
marc_chagall
« Reply #3506 on: November 21, 2011, 03:18:27 AM »

Don't worry about Windows 7. I use it when I'm in London, as I was last week, and the swap over from XP is completely painless. You'll hardly notice the difference after a few hours.

Know exactly what you mean about the car, Pharo. I drive a little 12 year old hatchback that I've had from new, so whenever I try to drive anything 'better' it invariably feels like a bus with everything out of reach and I wonder how people manage.
leatherdykeuk
Global Moderator

« Reply #3507 on: November 21, 2011, 04:42:52 AM »

I suppose I'll be stuck with using Windows 7, unless I go for an applemac. I don't want it -- I like XP, but then I remember saying the same thing about not wanting XP, so I'm sure it'll be alright in the end. Vista, on my laptop, does my head in. Whatever you do it pops up a box asking if you really want to do it, which invariably provokes a vocal response from me pissed

I love W7 but it does the same.
You know you can turn the nag off, don't you? It's in the security settings.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3508 on: November 21, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »

I love W7 but it does the same.
You know you can turn the nag off, don't you? It's in the security settings.

Can you? Cool -- I'll have a look for that afro Thanks for the heads-up

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3509 on: November 21, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »

That's it -- just about everybody I know has got some kind of ailment. Mrs Ed has a head cold that has turned her into Slimer from Ghostbusters. Everybody at work seems to either have a cold or sickness and the squits. The only healthy guy on site fell off the scaffold today, and is now wearing his shoulder blade half way down his back and has a lump on his head like half a tennis ball from where the planks fell after him and hit him in the swede while he was led groaning on the deck.

I'm hitting the elderflower champagne, in a bid to stave off the worst of the virals, but there isn't much you can take to guard against falls from height, AFAIK scratch

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 232 233 [234] 235 236 237 238 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx