gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 11, 2017, 04:10:35 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 588144 times)
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3570 on: December 14, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »

I recently had Thomas Jane follow me on twitter. He was the star in King's The Mist and Micky Mantle in the movie 61*, of which I am both fans of. No idea why, just up and followed me one day. I was in high spirits all day, but every time I mentioned it to anyone, they had no idea who he was. Most of them hadn't seen either movie.

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3571 on: December 14, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »

So I say to a room full of my family, "You've all heard of Dan Simmons, right?" None had. "Come on, the Hyperion series, Hugo winner blah blah." I am blanked. I'm chuffed because Dan has accepted my facebook friendship and sent me a personal message, not that he knows me from a speck of interstellar dust but my opportunity to brag falls on deaf ears. Do other Doomers have this problem with family and friends?

I know who Dan Simmons is, and have read the Hyperion series (and though it was many years ago, I still remember the Shrike). So I totally get how chuffed you must have been to get a personal message! Way to go!

I don't even bother explaining stuff like that to family... only to fellow writing friends.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3572 on: December 14, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »

So I say to a room full of my family, "You've all heard of Dan Simmons, right?" None had. "Come on, the Hyperion series, Hugo winner blah blah." I am blanked. I'm chuffed because Dan has accepted my facebook friendship and sent me a personal message, not that he knows me from a speck of interstellar dust but my opportunity to brag falls on deaf ears. Do other Doomers have this problem with family and friends?

I know who Dan Simmons is, and have read the Hyperion series (and though it was many years ago, I still remember the Shrike). So I totally get how chuffed you must have been to get a personal message! Way to go!

I don't even bother explaining stuff like that to family... only to fellow writing friends.
Yeay, thanks Pharo. Funny how receiving empathy (if one receives it as such) means much more than mere 'likes' on facebook smiley

LashSlash
Coroner

« Reply #3573 on: December 15, 2011, 02:53:48 AM »

bikoman, i think i'll attach a 'like' to everything of yours on facebook --- it may change your mind....*** Funny how receiving empathy (if one receives it as such) means much more than mere 'likes' on facebook***.....
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3574 on: December 15, 2011, 02:55:46 AM »

I'm a big fan of the hard-boiled private eye novels of folks like Chandler and Cain and MacDonald. One of the very best series is Parker's Spenser series - always great fun to read. Aside from the language and repartee that we find in all of these series/books one of the nice things for a Brit tucked away in the rural west country (among sprout-pickers, wild boar, and ancient Roman ruins) is the setting - it's always great fun to read about 50's LA, or modern day New Iberia/New Orleans, or Boston or Chicago or New York. Had the weird experience yesterday of travelling to London, having six hours of train travel to kill, so settling down to read a Spenser book that turned out to be set in London... It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that far away locations are more romantic or interesting (clearly Spenser felt London was thus, when compared with Boston) but I think there's a lot to be said for every location. I reckon where-ever we live or love there are stories to tell (it goes without saying, of corse, that Scunthorpe is the exception!  Wink)

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3575 on: December 15, 2011, 03:01:09 AM »

How did Spenser get on in London without his gun, Del? We're a bit anarchic over here, and prefer to kill each other with knives and bludgeoning weapons. Must have been something of a culture shock for him afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3576 on: December 15, 2011, 03:56:39 AM »

He had his gun, Ed...

One of the things I'm noting more and more is how the professionals (I'm talking writers not PI's !) can get away with stuff that we can't - or maybe we think we shouldn't. Spenser's client was a very rich industrialist who smoothed the immigration waters to allow Spence to come into the country with a handgun, shoot a fair few people, and not really have to face any music at all. In another PI book I've just read the detective needed access to some very important characters in Chicago - both politically and socially - and so the author simply made it that the guy knew these people. Yet it works. The writing is so good, the story is so good, and the conflict so high that we simply accept these things whilst in the moment. Maybe later when we think about them more we find some holes...but in both cases I'd have probably dumped the idea for lack of realism whilst the pro's plough and and produce saleable novels.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3577 on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »

Had one of those awkward moments that lasted an hour today. I am cycling down my drive to find something to fill wife's Yuletide stocking when a car blocks my exit. From it emerges a former colleague with our card. He's an English teacher and in his spare time has been writing a loooooooong ballad. He doesn't intend to get it published. Anyway, I invite him in for a cuppa but he says, no, the car's ignition is on and he has other cards to deliver. He then asks about my writing, then cycling, then family. All this time we are cooling down in just above freezing temperatures. Again he refuses to come in saying he's only stopping a minute. Half an hour later his speech judders too much for my ears to understand much. I'm warmer attired in winter cycling gear. He shivers in a worn jumper on though a thick bushy moustache keeps him from serious hypothermia. He stamps his feet and tucks his hands into his armpits and asks about the plot to my ARIA book. Aarrggh. An hour after he arrived his car engine splutters and gives up. I'm thinking it was too lonely. So now I'm thinking he must like me a lot to suffer like this, so I ask him about his erpic ballad. His moustache bristles with excitement as he recites best bits. Still no for tea - with a touch of rum in it. I'm thinking I'll have to go back into the garage for bike lights when he finally says he's going. I would have gladly abandoned my shopping mission for a cosy warm chat with him. Make a note, Nelder, to cycle round to his house before he sets off for mine next year.

Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3578 on: December 15, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »

This'll sound really goofy and like I'm a proper arselicker, but I feel chuffed to bits that you chumps are on my Facebook 

Today I reached the heady heights of seeing my name and face in the Scunthorpe Telegraph. Which happens quite a lot because they like my band, but anyway...  grin if anyone fancies seeing how the Scunthorpe Telegraph has upheld its fine tradition of using shit photos and ineffectually paraphrasing interviewees, here you go:  http://theycallmepotato.blogspot.com/2011/12/and-i-shall-greet-fame-and-fortune-with.html

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3579 on: December 15, 2011, 01:44:25 PM »

'A Scunthorpe author'?

Does that mean there's more than one author in Scunthorpe?

Very nice article, by the way.

DW Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:45:12 PM by desertwomble » Logged

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3580 on: December 15, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »

The newspaper article doesn't quite capture your manic charm, but it's exposure and it's a decent-sized piece. Good for you.

You will have heard of Scunthorpe being famous in IT circles. Back in 1989 Chester Council (and probably many others) wondered why none of their emails were received by their counterparts in Scunthorpe - and those from that town didn't arrive here either. Then we discovered a profanity filter in Outlook had blocked a particular four-letter word beginning with C and ending in T.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3581 on: December 15, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »

Urf -- feeling the Christmas pressure again. Too much to do and too little time to do it in. I had been looking forward to a couple weeks off, but it looks like the maximum I'll manage is one, if I'm lucky. Not feeling at all Christmassy -- maybe the snow banner will help? scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3582 on: December 16, 2011, 02:56:55 AM »

Yes, I'm struggling to find time for Christmassy stuff at the moment, too. Going to try and hit the shops early tomorrow. Maybe once I've done my bit to counter the retail downturn I'll start to feel more in the mood. Mostly I'm just tired. Still, have got the week off next week ( a week and a day!) so I'm looking forward to chilling out and watching some movies. Got a couple of gigs over the next week or two, as well, which is always nice.

This'll sound really goofy and like I'm a proper arselicker, but I feel chuffed to bits that you chumps are on my Facebook

I have none of you lot as FB Friends - if I knew how to make such requests I would, but I appear to be crap at the internet.

Derek

Robert B. Parker
marc_chagall
« Reply #3583 on: December 16, 2011, 03:01:15 AM »

Del, be my friend! You'll find me here on facebook http://www.facebook.com/catherine.edmunds.

Some of you are my 'friends' there already, but any who aren't, please make contact  afro
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3584 on: December 16, 2011, 03:28:32 AM »

Mine is http://www.facebook.com/ed.dempster?ref=tn_tnmn but I'm not often there, so it may take a while for me to respond on day to day communications.

Del -- do you think we are more tired, now, than we would have been from the same workload ten years ago? I think I am. But then I was used to intermittent pressure back then. Now it seems to be a lot more hectic, and I think that's because I do lots of smaller jobs instead of two or three large ones -- more people to deal with.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 237 238 [239] 240 241 242 243 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx