News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Yep, back to work today for me, too  :/. That break just flew by, but at least I got a couple of things done (aside from all the visiting and family stuff) - tidied the garage a little, installed a new washer pump on the car, cut back some of the plants out front that were turning triffid like, and even managed to watch one of the DVDs I had for Xmas. Also did a cracking new year's eve gig, caught up with some old friends and watched some rugby (two great results for Gloucester over the last week). I reckon I could fill my life very easily without work, alas, needs must. And although it's good to have a job I can't say I'm feeling on top of the world about it this morning :'(

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

marc_chagall

Last of the Christmas visitors leave today, so it'll be a day of washing bed linen, wondering how to get it dry, and generally getting the house back to normal. Then catching up on 'stuff'. There is a lot of 'stuff'.

Geoff_N

We are back home but have our bags packed for emergency travelling. Firstly cos daughter's date for our second grandson is Jan 8th but head is already well engaged. Secondly a family member is in Blackpool hospital with a 'strange' head disease that the doc there called "very interesting", so we might need to rush up there too. I can't remember such a busy busy start to a year.

On writing I had a rejection of Colloidal Suspension from Clarkeworld - no reason, one from Sounds of the Night - closing down, and a maybe from another publication. Looks like award-winning artist Andy Bigwood wil be illustrating the cover of my SF trilogy, ARIA coming out later this year. Some non-fiction articles are being published later this year and Horrorzine have commissioned a story though it is only floating in my head at the moment.

Ed

Yep, it was hard to get going today. The weather was absolutely foul. I got soaking wet just getting my gear set up -- it was blowing a hoolie and pelting rain. Awful. Still, it had to be done. Can't just slob around getting fatter and weaker by the day. Got a packed schedule over the next few weeks and then heaven only knows. I might end up flat out all year again, like last year, or flat broke with nothing to do -- could go either way.

Bothered? ::)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

fnord33

I just got back from my second meteor driven excursion into the first really cold night of winter. No meteors to speak of. I think it was all a hoax; a conspiracy by the cold and flu industry. Ever wonder why nyquil is green? I'll tell ya. It's an homage to the slimy tentacles of a certain ancient god. That's why it tastes that way too. Eating worlds is hungry work. So hungry that it makes you taste of liquorice. Learned that one the hard way.   :laughter1: 

I finally found a car.  :cheers: It's a 2008 Smart Passion. I have to go deal with the tag tomorrow, but then I'll finally be able to get back to writing.  :cheers: :cheers:

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Rev. Austin

Happy New Year, folks! I had a few days away from the internet, and it was nice not to get sucked into the spiral of Facebook/Twitter/email for a bit, but now everything's back to normal and I can look forward to wasting untold minutes on social networking. I'm also trying to decide on a new year's resolution, which invariably ends up centring around money, and trying not to spend it. But that's boring. Maybe I should make a resolution not to make a boring resolution...?  :cheesy:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

My resolution is not to buy any more books until I've read the ones I've got, CDs until I've listened (properly) to the ones I've got, and DVDs, until I've watched the ones I've got. By my reckoning this takes me up to about 2020.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

akaShoe

Hey, all! Sorry I've been scarce... house full o' kids for the holidays.

New Year's resolutions, eh? Well, I've actually done fairly decent with them in the past. Couple years ago I resolved to quit smoking, and succeeded. Last year it was to start writing again, same result. So THIS year I'm piling on, and aiming to 1) lose weight, 2) write my 1st full-length novel, and 3) become rich and/or famous. (That last one's like the single outlandish demand hostage-takers often make so the others look much more reasonable.) :cheesy:

Geoff_N

It feels weird. All day I've been either looking at my mobile, checking the land-line phone for messages and scanning facebook in case daughter has gone into labour. Baby is due on Sunday but could be early. Wife is at a science conference in Liverpuddle so its up to me to do the duty dash to Manchester and look after grandson when the event happens. Exciting yet unsettling at the same time!

Geoff_N

Baby still not born but there is news. Oliver is nearly 3 and looking forward to having a baby bro. Not as I feared that he's expecting a fully walking talking one but really a baby. Today he got a cardboard box and said it was baby's bed. I said it wasn't comfortable enough so Oliver fetched a blanket and made it cosy. He then got a doll and put a nappy on it and chatted about life, the universe etc as perceived by a two year old. At teatime he told the 'baby' to be quiet while the family sat at the dining table. Afterwards Oliver fetched his big blow up dinosaur and told it to eat baby.

There's something wrong there. We have at least one more day to get it right!

marc_chagall

Quote from: Geoff_N on January 07, 2012, 03:54:35 PM
Baby still not born but there is news. Oliver is nearly 3 and looking forward to having a baby bro. Not as I feared that he's expecting a fully walking talking one but really a baby. Today he got a cardboard box and said it was baby's bed. I said it wasn't comfortable enough so Oliver fetched a blanket and made it cosy. He then got a doll and put a nappy on it and chatted about life, the universe etc as perceived by a two year old. At teatime he told the 'baby' to be quiet while the family sat at the dining table. Afterwards Oliver fetched his big blow up dinosaur and told it to eat baby.

There's something wrong there. We have at least one more day to get it right!

Brilliant!

Ed

I'm absolutely knackered tonight. Had to put down a thousand metres of underfloor heating today, all zip tied onto steel reinforcing. What a nightmare. Spent all day twisting my ankles and killing my knees, not to mention the heartburn and headaches from constantly bending over. Early to bed tonight. Hoping not to have to do that type of job again in a hurry.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Rev. Austin

Off to my old college in a minute to start film-making sessions back up, then onto a junior school to continue sessions there, too. The college kids are great because they're all pretty clued-in already, and the school kids are super enthusiastic, but at the expense of focus  ::)

Had some bad news yesterday, though: both anthologies that'd been dropped by Twisted Library Press, then taken on by Pill Hill, have been dropped by them too. Too many authors were themselves dropping out of both books, even after all the contract stuff had been sorted. Gutted  :'(
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

delboy

Been a bit absent from the Cafe recently. Trying to scale down much of my internet activity and scale up my actual activity. Whic is great news for my cycling, fishing, guitar playing, and even my clarinet playing. Alas, not so my writing. I looked up Duotrope the other day to try and find some markets to send stuff too and gave up after about an hour. Couldn't find any decent paying markets that matched the few stories that I feel warrant the effort. There are a couple of places that only accept snail mail that I will be exploring as soon as I can save up enough to buy ink...but generally I'm not convinced short stories are what I should be focussing on.

Derek

Robert B. Parker

Ed

I thought you'd been a bit quiet lately, Del -- don't be too much of a stranger though, eh :afro:

Rev -- that's awful news. I know how much time you put into those anthos. Why were the authors pulling out after all this time? Doesn't make sense :scratch: