News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Quote from: delboy on January 17, 2012, 02:50:07 PM
Just seen my PLR statement for the year just gone. Looks like over a eleven hundred people borrowed my books this year, which mightn't be a massive amount compared to most, but it's still nice. Ought to write some more...

Derek

Wow, that's a good number of people. How many books do you have out there, Del? It would be nice to know if these folks read one book and then sought out the rest, wouldn't it? Cool :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

marc_chagall

That's fabulous. My PLR statement is an embarrassment, as ever.  :bangh:

delboy

I have just three books out there. The thing about these westerns is the entire business model is based on them being library books, so although the numbers are nice there are very few associated retail sales. It's a good audience, though. Folks like my father, who love westerns, who love short books they can read in a couple of hours, and like good old fashioned wholesome entertainment. These folks get through a lot of westerns and though I'm sure they do follow individual authors I suspect they get through most of the books in the western section.
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Ed

My old gramps used to love reading westerns, which always struck as strange, somehow, because he was a mariner -- I always think of dust and a lack of water when I think of westerns, so maybe it was a reaction to being surrounded by water all the time?
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

No reason given rejection from Apex for Battle of Trafalgar short - "Doesn't fit at the moment". Better news though is that my readership has gone up by one, potentially, with the birth of another grandson early this morning. Yeay!

marc_chagall

Congratulations on the increased readership Geoff!  :cheers:

Ed

Yay -- give that man a bookmark.

Congrats Geoff :afro:

Robert Essig

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.

ozmosis7

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com

delboy

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Rev. Austin

Nice one, granddad!  :afro:

This is my last week in my current house (well, maisonette). There is mould and damp in every room upstairs. It's worse in the study - my housemate and I literally only just uncovered how bad it is whilst packing up stuff. There is vast swathes of the stuff across one wall, and it's encroaching along another wall. I spend the most amount of time in here and the thought of being *this* close to it makes me queasy. I' keep getting images in my head of the stuff growing on me like what happens to Stephen King's hillbilly in Creepshow  :buck:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

I hope you have better luck with Ebay than I did, Del -- they ruled in favour of the seller, on the grounds that my purchase wasn't covered by the payment protection scheme. No other details yet. Looks like I'm £500 out of pocket with nothing but a big ball of angst to show for it :/

Ed

Good news -- I appealed and won, though I couldn't get back the £150 I paid in courier fees. It is difficult, though. When you ring Ebay, you always end up talking to somebody in a call centre in India and, although their English is much better than my Indian, there is always that language barrier problem.

I just couldn't believe it when I saw that I had lost the initial claim -- it was so obvious the seller was lying. All they had to do was read my communications with the seller before and after the sale, then compare that with their posts in the resolution centre. The woman who sold the thing laid it on really thick, telling Ebay I had been ringing her all hours of the day and night, being aggressive and abusive. Nothing could have been further from the truth. What an ordeal -- don't think I'll do that again in a hurry.

desertwomble

http://chaucers-uncle.weebly.com/

www.paulfreeman.weebly.com

Read my most recent winning Global Short Story Competition entry:
http://www.inscribemedia.co.uk/assets/october-ebook.pdf

fnord33

Ed, I think ebay's gotten a little better lately. I used to get screwed on every third purchase and now it's more like every fifth. Someone somewhere actually looked at your situation long enough to make a good decision. I can't say I've ever heard of them doing that before.
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs