gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 12:32:42 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 249 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589944 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3660 on: January 29, 2012, 12:23:45 PM »

Happy Birthday to LashSlash. Way to go, Dan!

Caz
Critter

« Reply #3661 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:03 PM »

Got a rejection from The Midnight Diner yesterday which was a bit of a surprise, it's at least a couple of years since I sent them a story. I guess it just got overlooked but it was nice to hear from the editor after all this time. He said some real nice things about the piece I sent in, my favourite being, 'your steampunk romp,' that one made me smile. 

Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3662 on: January 31, 2012, 03:51:06 AM »

Midnight Diner lost mine too. Did you have to email yours because of the screwed up form?

I just bought a collection of 600 cds, so I've been spending all my spare time going through them. My wife is less than enthused. Most of it is the sort that makes you want to kill yourself (for one reason or other), but that other 1% is good enough that I have to go through and listen to all of them before I can get them out of my living room. As problems go, it's not the worst.

p.s. Happy Birthday LS

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3663 on: February 01, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »

Rare for me to see a car accident and I didn't again today  bleh However, I was there just after. Strange one too. Early afternoon sun blinds drivers heading west out of Chester on an otherwise quiet country lane. A car was veering off his line one supposes to park on the other side but he'd driven parallel into a parked white lorry. His car was about a centimetre embedded into the lorry. Proper stuck. The police had put out cones to halt traffic (except curious cyclists  Wink  ) and the driver was still sat in his seat in a state of shock.
It worries me as a cyclists in winter with the low sun blinding drivers who don't put on sunglasses.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:34:20 AM by Geoff_N » Logged

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3664 on: February 01, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »

Well, we've finally got tenants moving into the house I've been renovating over the past few months. We handed the keys over to them tonight. I hope they'll be happy there -- it's a lovely little house.

Me and the missus thought they looked ever so young. We guessed 18 or 19, but it turns out they're both 25. I swear even when I was 25 I didn't look that young -- I've always looked 10 years older than I am, if anything. It was handy when I was young, opening doors that would have been closed if I had looked my age, but it's not so much fun now that I look old enough to get a free bus pass rolleyes

Still, it'll be nice to finally get some income from that house, rather than have it sapping the bank balance.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3665 on: February 02, 2012, 09:03:31 AM »

It worries me as a cyclists in winter with the low sun blinding drivers who don't put on sunglasses.

In my experience, sunglasses are no match for the sun when it's directly in your field of view, as in those times of the year when the road seems to be perfectly aligned with its path. You'd need welder's glass in your sunglasses to be able to withstand that kind of intensity, and then you couldn't see anything else.  scratch
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3666 on: February 03, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »

Bloody 'ell. What a week. Absolutely non-stop from dawn till dusk, well... from before dawn till after dusk. And the shame is, literally everything else goes by the wayside when work is like this. I think it's the modern way, though, screw things down tight as you can, then tighter still. When you absolutely can't screw things down any tighter start squeezing...  undecided

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3667 on: February 03, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »

I was going to go to SFX in Prestatyn tomorrow but the snow forecast and other grumbles about the convention has caused some cancellations. I'll settle down to some writing instead.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:01:17 PM by Geoff_N » Logged

notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #3668 on: February 03, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »

I missed a lot here over the last month or so.  Congrats on the new grandbaby!     Happy birthday LS!  Congrats on renting the house!  Dad has been pretty much in the hospital since after Christmas, I've been in constant pain from my herniated disks in my neck, and I've been writing my ass off every day.  There.  All caught up!  OH and the one sister never came to Christmas but it was still rather awkward.  Gotta love family!!!
Caz
Critter

« Reply #3669 on: February 04, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

Midnight Diner lost mine too. Did you have to email yours because of the screwed up form?

No, I managed to use the on-line form okay but somehow the story got missed for the anthology and they said they would hold it over for the next edition, that came and went and after that I just kind of forgot all about it until I got the rejection a couple of years later. Still, despite the hiccups they seem like nice folks over at the Diner. I'll give them a go again if I write something that seems suitable. 

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3670 on: February 05, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »

I'm going to be crazy busy over the next few weeks. Tons to do, and very little time to do it in. Still, mustn't grumble.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3671 on: February 07, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »

My attempt at literary has totally bombed in the crit group. Maybe I should give up.

On a lighter note, baby grandson asked me to shut the top stairgate so the dinosaurs and monsters that live in bedrooms don't come downstairs.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3672 on: February 07, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »

My attempt at literary has totally bombed in the crit group. Maybe I should give up.

Tough crowd for literary fiction, Geoff -- pearls before swine. Hrrrmph! rolleyes

Caz
Critter

« Reply #3673 on: February 10, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »

No work for a week, bricks don’t stick together at these temperatures, and cabin fever’s setting in. But I got lucky and found a new story. A big heavy book and one that’s well read. Not the kind of thing an e- reader’s ever going to show but there it is.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3674 on: February 11, 2012, 04:54:47 AM »

You're lucky, Caz. I've had to be up on scaffold, and working in unheated buildings that are like deep freezes. It's been horrendous. Somebody was kind enough to bring me out a cup of tea last week, and within minutes of me drinking it, the residue in the cup was frozen. People think it's cold when they go out for a quick walk, but being out in it for eight hours a day is something else, isn't it, especially if you're not moving around very much, and handling 2" steel pipe with ice on it. No fun at all. I am as close as I get to excited, though, about how much money these jobs could potentially earn me. If everything goes according to plan I will make a year's money in about a month. Can't really see it happening, but if it does, wow. It will be time to book a holiday.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 [245] 246 247 248 249 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx