gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 05:30:00 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589044 times)
marc_chagall
« Reply #3675 on: February 11, 2012, 06:14:16 AM »

Took a while unfreezing my car door until it would let me in. Then had to do a fifteen point turn on the pavement to get out of parking spot (road was sheet ice, but pavement wasn't too bad). Slithered slowly backwards down road until I got to dry tarmac. Drove into town, bought a canvas (which was the whole point of the exercise), drove home and slid back into parking spot, which nobody else had taken as nobody else would be foolish enough to attempt to navigate my road at the moment.

Room thermostat is set at 18C, but the heating system reckons that's optimistic, and hasn't managed to get above 14C for the last few days. Just slightly too chilly for comfort if you're sat at a computer most of the time. I'm living about six inches away from the radiator at the moment, but at least I have a canvas! Trouble is, to paint it, I have to move more than six inches away. Brrr...
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3676 on: February 11, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »

I was in St. Louis on business this past week. It was very cold there, and I had trouble staying warm. But now that I've read Ed's and delph's posts, I realize I had it pretty good. That was the first business trip I've taken since visiting Tulsa, Oklahoma last year in March. It was cold then, too. I'm waiting for them to send me someplace warm, but then I'll probably have to go to Houston in August and I'll be remembering winter fondly.  grin
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3677 on: February 12, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »

As friends and relatives drop dead around me I start to think about what this death stuff is all about - and possible even though unlikely continuation beyond the grave. I consulted a natty little book by Julian Barnes - a literary novelist, whose writing I much admire. His book is entitled: Nothing to be Firghtened of (he is an atheist so perhaps a surprising title).

Barnes book is about attitudes to death, especially for atheists like himself. Near the end he ponders on how writers’ books are a kind of immortality – but is it? The Earth will eventually be engulfed by the Sun (about 6 billion years) and NASA probably still haven’t funded a Mars mission let alone an escape to another solar system along with the world’s digitised creative works. Barnes knows his books won’t be read forever – there are so few Homers around – and has this to say, which amused me a lot (though my wife found nothing risible so be warned).
P.226
“... At some point there will be a last reader for me...And then that reader will die...
My last reader: there is a temptation to be sentimental over him or her. Indeed, I was about to make some authorial gesture of thanks and praise to the ultimate pair of eyes to examine this book, this page, this line. But then logic kicked in: your last reader is, by definition, someone who doesn’t recommend your books to anyone else. You bastard! Not good enough, eh? You prefer all that trivial stuff in your superficial century. I was about to mourn your passing but I’m getting over it fast. You’re really not going to press my book on anyone else? You really are so mean-spirited, so idle-minded, so lacking in critical judgement? Then you don’t deserve me. Go on, fuck off and die. Yes, you.
I shall myself long since fucked off and died...”
As I write this, Julian Barnes is still alive but his short book Nothing to be Frightened of (note the deliberate ending with a preposition) is packed with anecdotes and interesting philosophical thoughts. ISBN 978-0-099-52374-1

marc_chagall
« Reply #3678 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »

That made me laugh out loud. Brilliant.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3679 on: February 12, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »

Yeah, I like that afro

Feeling pretty rough with this cold, actually. I've spent all weekend indoors, keeping warm, blowing my nose constantly. I don't suppose I can complain too much, because this is the first cold I recall having in over a year, but I hate feeling muzzy-headed and weary all the time. Can't concentrate on anything.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Missy
Grave Digger

« Reply #3680 on: February 13, 2012, 04:40:46 AM »

Yeah, I like that afro

Feeling pretty rough with this cold, actually. I've spent all weekend indoors, keeping warm, blowing my nose constantly. I don't suppose I can complain too much, because this is the first cold I recall having in over a year, but I hate feeling muzzy-headed and weary all the time. Can't concentrate on anything.
I've had almost back to back coughs and colds since about October. So much so that I ended up being sent for a chest xray and blood tests. All clear, thankfully. I think it's a by product of working with snotty kids in a school.
Hope you feel better soon.
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #3681 on: February 13, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »

I think it's a by product of working with snotty kids in a school.
Know the feeling...there's always someone getting sick at school which means you'll always be a bit under the weather--had a bit of the sniffles every since September, but some of it has to do with the pollution as well...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
akaShoe
Critter

« Reply #3682 on: February 13, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »

As the father of four, my immune system lives in mortal fear of the start of each school year... Children are filthy little Outbreak monkeys. 
marc_chagall
« Reply #3683 on: February 13, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »

I have kids come to my house for music lessons, and I don't think there's a single one that's ever equipped with a handkerchief. I provide tissues, but they have to be told to take one and blow their nose. They all sniff and snuffle and cough and splutter over the piano keys, which are old-fashioned ivory ones rather than modern plastic ones so can't be subjected to disinfectant. I really don't know what the answer is. I just hope that they cancel if they've got flu or something, but you'd be surprised how many are off school, so officially poorly, but their parents still consider them well enough to come for a music lesson.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3684 on: February 13, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »

Yep -- little harbingers of disease, one and all, bless them.

I usually have a bottle of elderflower champagne whenever I get the first signs of a cold, and it seems to knock it on the head, every time. I'm not sure it's more than anecdotal musings, but I thought this time I didn't hit it quickly enough. Either way, I really enjoy the stuff, and it's got a low alcohol content, so where's the harm in it. afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
jsorensen
Critter

« Reply #3685 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »

Either way, I really enjoy the stuff, and it's got a low alcohol content, so where's the harm in it. afro

Where's the joy in it?  Cheesy  Kidding, of course...what works, works...I just drink more coffee black in such cases myself...

He had something to say. He said it. . . . He had summed up—he had judged. ‘The horror!’
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3686 on: February 14, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »

Had some time off, today. Wrote just one paragraph on a tale I'm working on then went off and did this instead. No wonder I don't finish much writing wise when I'm so easily distracted.

Kind regards,

Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
marc_chagall
« Reply #3687 on: February 14, 2012, 01:16:12 PM »

Nice one, Del. Always enjoy your playing. And it's interesting to compare the guitars.
ozmosis7
Critter

« Reply #3688 on: February 14, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »

Very nice! I like the jam very much.

I have one of the first Squier Strats that looks a lot like yours, but I suspect yours is the "real" deal. Mine plays pretty good for what it is, as it is pretty loaded compared to the standard issue. Is that last one a Squier Tele? I'd love a Gretsch like that, or an old Rickenbacker, but I think the next guitar I pick up will be a PRS. I've been hot on those for a very long time. Well, before I can justify it I have to start playing again, I guess.  tongue

Author of Dark Fiction - http://kennethwcain.com
notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #3689 on: February 14, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »

Such a week...I slammed my right index finger in the truck door and am waiting to hear from the radiologist whether he thinks it is broken or not.  Either way, the finger hurts like a beast and looks like it should belong to a cadaver.  Writing is difficult but I'm trying to muddle through.  There may be a cold beer in my future...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx