gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 03:15:58 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 245 246 [247] 248 249 250 251 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589250 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3690 on: February 14, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »

Such a week...I slammed my right index finger in the truck door and am waiting to hear from the radiologist whether he thinks it is broken or not.  Either way, the finger hurts like a beast and looks like it should belong to a cadaver.  Writing is difficult but I'm trying to muddle through.  There may be a cold beer in my future...

Be very careful about that. I don't want to scare you, but I had a friend who hurt her little finger playing swingerball. It turned black, withered, then she had to have it amputated. So if it's looking a dodgy colour you need to make sure it's still getting good circulation. I hope it's feeling better soon.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3691 on: February 15, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »

Hi all. Hope no one minds me popping back in. I hope everyone has been wonderful in the year or so I've been away.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3692 on: February 15, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »

Hi all. Hope no one minds me popping back in. I hope everyone has been wonderful in the year or so I've been away.
Great to see you back!

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3693 on: February 15, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Thank you! It's good to be back!
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3694 on: February 15, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »

Welcome back afro haven't had much time to spend here myself, lately. Hopefully something will give a little, soon.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3695 on: February 16, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »

I assume you've been busy with having the son that was due on March 14, 2011? Did he arrive on time? Did he come with fangs or tentacles, or just the boring 10 fingers and 10 toes? 
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3696 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »

Hello, folks!

Not having the internet is doing my head in. I've missed several story deadlines because I've been unable to access the internet to send subs off. I've had meetings cancelled because I didn't know about them (couldn't see/access the emails). I've been left out of the planning stages of my best mate's stag night because this has been done via Facebook. And to cap it all off, I'm so poor I've got to start walking to work (which takes 45 glorious minutes either way). And all because I don't have the internet at home! Well, maybe not the last point.  Cheesy

However, there is one ray of light in all this. Two, actually. The Robert Harkess Blog Invasion is now available to read, and an artist left a bike here at the gallery, which I am going to pinch. Now if only it was possible to win the lottery without entering, I'd be all set.

See you all on the flipside!

Your friend and mine,

Rev. Austin

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3697 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »

I assume you've been busy with having the son that was due on March 14, 2011? Did he arrive on time? Did he come with fangs or tentacles, or just the boring 10 fingers and 10 toes? 

Well, he does have an adorable gap in his front teeth and a spoiled rotten temper, along with his ten fingers and ten toes. I've been very busy with all three of my kids, but the beauty of it is I'm starting to manage how to write again with a baby and a laptop in my lap (not to mention the toddler has learned not to press the keys). They're lucky they're cute!

Welcome back afro haven't had much time to spend here myself, lately. Hopefully something will give a little, soon.

That's life, huh? Hard to find enough hours in the day.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3698 on: February 21, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »

Still doing my CPD exams. It's driving me crazy I've got clients ringing me all day and half the evening asking when I'm going to do this and that. My hands are tied -- I've got to do this if I want to carry on working. Still, it's nearly over. One more day this week, another next week, then one in March. That's as long as I don't choose to take new subjects. The trouble with these things is they run out every five years, so you end up with a huge bill when they hit all at the same time. If I take any more it would be a good idea to wait a year or two to spread the cost, not just now but in the future. You never know how things are going to be in five years time.

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3699 on: February 22, 2012, 04:08:22 AM »

It's an odd week for me. Monday, Tuesday, all day and Wed morning helping daughter with her lively 3-year-old for whom chicken pox is a nuisance cos he can't go to his pals, etc but is jealous of his 4-week-old baby brother. Very tiring but daughter needs help and I'm delighted to be fit and able to romp around on the floor and play in the garden getting soaked by the lad's super power water cannon. Then off to Gloucestershire to attend the funeral of my favourite aunt - she encouraged my writing and possibly the only relative who actually read all of my stuff. Last night I received a note from my agent saying the US publishers she sent my urban fantasy / magic realism Xagrha's Revenge to have asked for a marketing plan - so that took into the small hours to write. I found out my short story Auditory Crescendo, (critted here ages ago about a US Gulf War vet having a new hearing aid experiment where the military made him hear conversations from miles away with disastrous and odd effects) has been selected for an academic business management mag, Futures issue. Hopefully, and then the bathroom flooded, and I pulled a groin muscle doing lunges. Roll on the weekend.

marc_chagall
« Reply #3700 on: February 22, 2012, 04:14:22 AM »

A frustrating week. Waiting to see a contract. If it's to my liking and I sign it, I'll be doing cartwheels round the forum. If it isn't, and I don't, I won't.  bangh
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3701 on: February 22, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »

Fingers crossed for you, Delph!

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
marc_chagall
« Reply #3702 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:30 AM »

Thanks Del  smiley
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3703 on: February 25, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »

funny things, funerals. My favourite aunt died two weeks ago because she slipped on the steps of a swimming pool and banged the back of her head. She had a headache the next day but didn't trouble her doctor. She wrote me a congrats card for being a granddaddy and posted a hilariously garish green cardigan she knitted for my other grandson. She died that night in her sleep of a brain haemorhage. At her funeral her daughter was in bits but her 30-year-old son, well it hadn't hit him yet. We talked about my books because my aunt had urged him to read them. I gave him one of my promo cards. Then others asked for them. I only took one because it never occured to me to use a family funeral as a promo opportunity. See? I'm not a pro writer as I should be. Yes we grieved at her premature demise but it was good to see again so many other rellies I hardly ever see. Funny things.

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3704 on: February 26, 2012, 06:34:26 AM »

Sorry to hear about your aunt, Geoff. I know what you mean about funerals, though. My gran's funeral enabled me to meet a huge swathe of the family that I had never seen before, and I think it made my boys feel more centred -- gave them a feeling of connection to my side of the family, if that makes sense. It may be they didn't feel it, not consciously anyway, but I think it's there.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 245 246 [247] 248 249 250 251 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx