gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 03:16:35 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589251 times)
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3735 on: March 17, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »

Sorry to hear about your dad, Notso.

DW Cheesy

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3736 on: March 17, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

Sorry, notso, about your father passing away. Mine went 3 years ago with cancer even though he was in denial right up the day before and made me walk up a hill with him the previous week. The pain lessens when you think about what he would have wanted.
He would have enjoyed the bike ride I did this week, and the train journey with half-naked women today! In my blog along with a great picture of Ilam Hall for Delph.
http://geoffnelder.wordpress.com/

Geoff

marc_chagall
« Reply #3737 on: March 17, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »

That's a stunning photo of Ilam, Geoff. Absolutely beautiful.
desertwomble
Coroner

« Reply #3738 on: March 17, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »

That is a nice pic.

Er, have you got any of the half-naked women on the train?

DW Cheesy

Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3739 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

That is a nice pic.

Er, have you got any of the half-naked women on the train?

DW Cheesy
DW I'm sure you are surrounded by them.

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3740 on: March 18, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »

That's just breathtaking!
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3741 on: March 21, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »

Howdy folks! I've finally started to get back into a routine of writing, even though it typically involves getting started when I should really be going to bed  rolleyes I've been looking at an old crit story and have finally had some ideas as to rework it, so I'm quite pleased with myself  Wink I've also, finally, got round to sending my memory stick off for repair, which has alllllllll my stories on it, many of which just needed a polish before subbing. I feel like I've been missing a limb! I can envisage a healthy chunk of hours spent trawling the internet for open sub calls in the not too distant future  cheers

In other news, do any of you have any experience with sleepwalking? My housemate does it quite a lot, but sometimes not for months at a time. She's started doing it again, and I'm worried she'll hurt herself because the 'episodes' last longer and longer. Although, at the moment all she does is wander about and, often, open curtains. Does anyone know if this particular 'habit' has any significance?

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3742 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »

Don't know personally of anyone sleepwalking beyond childhood.

I am an idjit. I cycled 14 miles, mostly uphill, to take photos in Wales where a narrow lane for cars and cycles goes along the top of Offa's Dyke - a ridge with a deep ditch on both sides. This for an article for a cycling mag. I managed one photo before my digi camera's batteries died. Aarrggh. They are AA but special ones for cameras. I cycled to the nearest shop 5 miles away but no good. Oh well, it was a good downhill 14 miles home.

marc_chagall
« Reply #3743 on: March 21, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »

I always carry spare batteries. Don't always remember the camera; but at least I have batteries.  afro
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3744 on: March 21, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »

Don't know personally of anyone sleepwalking beyond childhood.

I am an idjit. I cycled 14 miles, mostly uphill, to take photos in Wales where a narrow lane for cars and cycles goes along the top of Offa's Dyke - a ridge with a deep ditch on both sides. This for an article for a cycling mag. I managed one photo before my digi camera's batteries died. Aarrggh. They are AA but special ones for cameras. I cycled to the nearest shop 5 miles away but no good. Oh well, it was a good downhill 14 miles home.

Damn -- that's annoying bangh

Rev -- my brother-in-law sleepwalks when something is worrying him, or when he's very drunk. He's been known to pee in various places while sleepwalking, which can be quite annoying if you happen to be sleeping in one of those places, as my nephew found out. There is a type of epilepsy that manifests itself as sleepwalking, too, I seem to remember

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3745 on: March 21, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »

grin

I wonder if there's a correlation between sleepwalking and peeing in strange places. My son used to sleepwalk, and one evening I was sitting on my couch, and he walked by, casual as can be. I spoke and he didn't reply, so I followed him to the kitchen. He opened the fridge door, and before I knew what was happening, he peed in it. I shrieked and he STILL didn't wake up. Then, casual as can be, he closes the fridge and returns to bed.

But yeah, Rev, me and my son had sleepwalking episodes as young children, but that's it. With both of us, it was during stressful times. If your roommate does it now, but never has before, maybe something is stressing her out.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3746 on: March 23, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »

Pretty nice TED video with some good observations about story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KxDwieKpawg

Kind regards,
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3747 on: March 24, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

That was excellent, Derek!

When that one finished, it offered some suggestions, and I watched this one by J.J. Abrams (creator of the TV series Lost, among many other things) which also has some good storytelling lessons:

marc_chagall
« Reply #3748 on: March 25, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »

Went out with camera, spare batteries (even though that camera doesn't use batteries) but no film (even though camera uses film).  scratch 

I'll get it right one day.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3749 on: March 25, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »

It has been a beautiful weekend, weatherwise. It has done me good just sitting out on the patio soaking up the sun. Had a couple hours of it yesterday, and spent the afternoon doing my paperwork outside today. Not ideal that I had to be working, but it beat sitting in the office doing it afro

Work is still hectic, and set to get more so. Could be that we will get a £200k job in the Cotswolds -- should find out in the next week or so. The guy came to visit last week and liked what he saw, but you never can tell until they sign on the dotted line.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx