gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 03:52:28 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 589018 times)
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3750 on: March 26, 2012, 02:45:47 AM »

Yes, was a very relaxing weekend. Managed to get a cycle ride in, watch some rugby, do some gardening, pick some guitar, and drink some wine. Just the job, Gromit! I even had a couple of hours on my own while every one else went off to watch The Hunger Games. Wouldn't minded seeing it myself to be honest. I must have been under a rock for the last few years because I'd never heard of this until I saw the preview at the cinema a few weeks ago. It looks like it's being maneuvered into being the next Harry Potter / Twilight style franchise. Interesting to read some of the reviews on Amazon - there are a handful of folks who say the story is a direct copy of Battle-Royale, a Japanese novel. I've still yet to read any of the Harry Potter books so it might be a while before I get to the Hunger Games (or Battle Royale), but I feel I ought to read all of this stuff sometime just to see what's making the big waves these days.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3751 on: March 26, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »

Yeah, the Hunger Games phenomenon is kind of funny to me. It has the same plot as at least five other books/movies, but now that it's been rewritten for kids it's "original" and "Brilliant". Why doesn't anything written for adults get this popular? Do adults not read, or are we all too lazy to read anything above a fifth grade level? (This coming from a guy who is currently one omnibus deep into Hack/Slash).  Both Battle Royale movies were great, btw. They have remade the first for America (because again, we don't read much), but most people are probably going to think it's a rip-off of the Hunger Games.   tongue

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3752 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »

In the gym a bloke moaned about all the Titanic stuff on TV currently. He said, Why, why? I said it could be cos it’s the centenary. He said, Is it? Oh, right...Doh. 

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3753 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »

I had never heard of Battle Royale until reading this thread. So I did some googling and found a discussion on the Wall Street Journal entertainment blog. Many of the outraged commenters cannot believe that Suzanne Collins never heard of BR, and insist that it must be a ripoff... They even cite the fact that the BR movie came out more than 10 years ago as evidence ("That’s more than enough time to plagirize I’d say"), without realizing that the longer ago something came out--in a foreign country, in a niche market--the LESS likely it is that an American author would have heard of it. Just because you're into a particular genre doesn't mean everyone else is, too.

I'd be willing to wager that the vast majority of people who read The Hunger Games had not heard of Battle Royale beforehand. Once they had read both (or seen BR), the similarities jumped out... but it appears there are also a great many differences, and they both have similarities to other, even older works. This is a good example of why one can't copyright an idea, only the execution of that idea.
jingold
Critter

« Reply #3754 on: March 26, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »

It's been awhile since I've wanted to see ANY movie, but I really want to see the Hunger Games.  The first book is compelling, and the movie's supposed to be a close adaptation.  I remember hearing about Battle Royale on another writer's forum, but I've never read it.  Breakaway bestsellers are always compared with less-known stuff that came before.

However, I'm more excited about the second season of Game of Thrones, which starts on April 1. cheers
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3755 on: March 26, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »

The last film I went to see at the cinema was The Artist - my housemate and I couldn't believe the local multiplex actually had it, as they have a habit of missing all the "decent" films. It is very, very good, and utterly charming. (Really sinister at a couple of points, too). One of the reasons my friends and I started a Film Club (which runs every month at a youth centre/old cinema) was to show films people in Scunthorpe don't get the chance to see (we showed Submarine recently, and we've got Tyrannosaur lined up for next month).

As for today, my housemate and I went to PC World to get an internet cable, and ended up going in the nearby pet store afterwards. We are now the proud owners of two Roborovski dwarf hamsters, called Ham and Sandwich  grin

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3756 on: March 26, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »

It's interesting (and worrying) to realise how sheltered one can still be from what's out there, despite the vast reach of the web. As mentioned below, I had never heard of The Hunger Games until a week or two ago, and had never heard of Battle Royale until reading those Amazon comments. So it's absolutely not beyond the realms of possibility that one could write such a tale whilst being unaware of what had already been done along similar lines. I do it all the time, alas, without the worldwide success  scratch

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #3757 on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

Rev. - You just broke the first two rules of Film Club.  grin

I Drove the family up to Sacramento Friday night to take in a movie at the drive-in. It's one of a handful still operating in California, and man I love it. Even with the cost of gas (it's about 150 miles round trip) it's still a little cheaper than going to the theatre in town, especially if you factor in the cost of snacks at the concession stand versus the cost of packing in your own from the grocery store.

Didn't get to see Hunger Games though. We went as a reward to my son who got good marks on his report card, and so he got to pick the movie. After watching all the previews, he settled on The Lorax, noting that his little sister (who's only 2) would probably like it.

Movie pretty much sucked, but it was still a fun trip.

-Jerry

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3758 on: March 26, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »

So it's absolutely not beyond the realms of possibility that one could write such a tale whilst being unaware of what had already been done along similar lines. I do it all the time, alas, without the worldwide success  scratch

Who's to say muses don't sprinkle their ideas all over the place? I like to try to find similarities in fiction and art that were produced around the same time. It's funny how much you see when you're looking for it. Of course, it's very likely that the writer/artist subconsciously has absorbed some theme from somewhere else (as we all do). I tried to write a vampire novel about seven years ago (which was a miserable failure) about an MC named Bella who was torn between two loves. Sound familiar?  Wink Of course, she did work at a dating service for the undead . . . Who's to say the muses aren't very generous with places, names, themes, plots, and all our little ideas? Just a fun thought.
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3759 on: March 26, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »

Morphic resonance??

http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=99292

Robert B. Parker
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3760 on: March 26, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »

Huh. I've never heard that term before. Going to Wikipedia to read a little more on it. Wouldn't it be lovely if humans were capable of such a thing!!
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3761 on: March 27, 2012, 07:04:42 AM »

I've just had a call from the data recovery team I sent my memory stick too - it was impossible to recover ANY of the data, so that's pretty much all my writing, gone forever  Cry I have a bunch of old, old stories on my PC, but there were TONS of recent, practically-complete stories/ideas on the memory stick. I'm GUTTED. I can still remember some of the 'details' of course, but it'd be a case of trying to replicate what already exists/existed, and that's practically impossible...but at least it's saved me £200 in recovery fees  Cheesy  bangh

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
marc_chagall
« Reply #3762 on: March 27, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »

That is not good. Heartfelt commiserations, Rev.

It's a timely reminder to the rest of us about backing up stuff. We all bang on about it, but how many of us actually do it? I am going to spend the next hour or so making copies of everything onto anything that can possibly hold a copy.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3763 on: March 27, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »

Rev, I'm SO sorry to hear that! I'd feel bad if I lost ONE story, let alone all of them. And I know what you mean about remembering parts, but feeling hopeless about re-creating them. A couple of times I've lost documents in progress when the power suddenly went out, or the stupid program crashed. I don't tend to Save that often... even after all these years.  scratch
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3764 on: March 27, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »

Nightmare, Rev! Still, look on the bright side - all that rewriting you won't have to do. When you start re-creating those stories they'll come out far better, your subconscious mind will have done more work than you realise, and rather like Robert Louis Stevenson who burned the first draft of Doctor Jekyll and had to recreate it from memory you'll more than likely become immortal.

Robert B. Parker
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx