News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_chagall

fnord33

Damn. I'm just now finding out about this. That's a scary situation, but it sounds like he's going to be okay. We should all chip in on a get well gift for him. Maybe one of these: http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/campaigns/kube/kubex15.asp?SRCCODE=WEM3063EM&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM3063-_-tigeremail3063&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3063
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Pharosian

Thanks, fnord! I was actually afraid to click that link... but I did. Can't wait until I can get one!  :grin:

fnord33

Awesome, right? You know me too well. Usually, only people I've met in person know to run screaming from my recommendations.  ::) 
Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs

Rev. Austin

I went to the dentists for the first time in my adult life yesterday (I've never signed up with one because my mum doesn't trust them, which is a very short and boring story). I spent Friday and Saturday with constant and intense toothache, and it turned out two of my back teeth have grown crooked, with one digging into the decay in the one in front of it (I swear my dental hygiene is otherwise exemplary). Cue a tooth removal. Hurray! My friend picked me up because I felt a bit wobbly afterwards, and she said I looked like I'd had a stroke - the nurses had told me I'd had a very strong reaction to the anaesthetic (three syringes of the stuff!) but I didn't know what they meant. Took ages to wear off. And I can safely say I never want to repeat any of it again.  :buck:
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

JonP

Gosh, first time here for some time, so I missed the news from Pharo - really hope things are improving. Must be awful, being in limbo like that.

Ed

How are things with you, Jon -- keeping busy? :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Ed

Quote from: Rev. Austin on April 02, 2012, 03:04:31 PM
I went to the dentists for the first time in my adult life yesterday (I've never signed up with one because my mum doesn't trust them, which is a very short and boring story). I spent Friday and Saturday with constant and intense toothache, and it turned out two of my back teeth have grown crooked, with one digging into the decay in the one in front of it (I swear my dental hygiene is otherwise exemplary). Cue a tooth removal. Hurray! My friend picked me up because I felt a bit wobbly afterwards, and she said I looked like I'd had a stroke - the nurses had told me I'd had a very strong reaction to the anaesthetic (three syringes of the stuff!) but I didn't know what they meant. Took ages to wear off. And I can safely say I never want to repeat any of it again.  :buck:

It's no fun at all going to the dentist, is it? They're thugs in white coats, that's all. Let's face it, they hurt you, and then demand payment. In any other walk of life that kind of behaviour results in a prison sentence.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

fnord33

Quote from: Ed on April 02, 2012, 06:35:05 PM
[It's no fun at all going to the dentist, is it? They're thugs in white coats, that's all. Let's face it, they hurt you, and then demand payment. In any other walk of life that kind of behaviour results in a prison sentence.

Very true. A lot of my earliest memories are of my first dentist hitting on the nurses instead of looking at what he was doing while he was hurting the inside of my mouth. I have a good one now, though. He's this super-nice, dopey guy that reminds me of Ed Helms. He's actually hard to hate.

Pharosian

The dentist I had for many years before he retired was so mild-mannered and sincere he reminded me of Mr. Rogers. He dedicated his career to helping people overcome their fear of dentistry.

Hubby is still under sedation and on the ventilator, but there are some positive signs; his labs are improving every day and he was making more spontaneous movement of arms and legs. He had an EEG today, and tomorrow I should find out the results. Finally got to talk to the surgeon who assisted in the operation and who's taken over his care. She seems very experienced and gave me some additional information that I'd been wanting.

My boss is very understanding and has said I can take another two days off and then we'll see where things stand.

Ed

Sounds encouraging. I think women make better surgeons than men. The men can turn into ham fisted egomaniacs, but I think women are more likely, predisposed even, to be gentle with their hands and more caring in their attitude.

The surgeon who was supposed to perform my wife's cesarean was like Lord Flashheart when we met him -- jolly, yet pompous at the same time. We imagined him bounding into the operating room dressed as Zorro. Needless to say, my wife wouldn't let him anywhere near her.

Had some good news here. We got that contract I was talking about. Close to a quarter of a million pounds worth :afro: Should keep the wolf from the door for a little while longer. The guy sent us an eighty grand deposit, too. Unreal :shocked:

delboy

Still got everything crossed for you, Pharo!

Nice contract, Ed. If nothing else it brings some peace of mind financially, although I suspect it means lots of hard work, too.

It's a new financial year - was hoping for some change in a few of the priorities at work. Alas, there are simply new priorities in addition to all of the old ones.  :bangh:

Del
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

starktheground

Ed, I respectfully disagree with the statement about female doctors. At least over here, and with my experience. I tried three different female obgyns and they were all rude and harsh and cold. Female nurses, on the other hand, seem to be angels.

That's good about your contract.  :cheers:

Del: more work for the same money? Sounds  :bangh: alright. My biggest concern right now is whether or not to cut my son's bangs myself. It's nice to not have any personal worries at the moment (knock on wood).

Pharo: Still thinking about you. I don't know about you, but I don't know how I'd be able to return to work with all that going on. Then again, it might be a distraction.

Geoff_N

Excellent advance on your contract there, Ed. Imagine if that was for a book you were writing instead of the real work you do!

Fingers still knitted for your hubby, Pharo.

Looks like I'll be the short fiction judge for the Helen Whittaker prize this year. No trying to curry favour all you competitors, though I could send you a list of things I would like...

Ed

I'll start the bidding at a virtually unused bicycle puncture repair kit and a set of plastic tyre levers :afro: