gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 06:25:14 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 [254] 255 256 257 258 ... 323 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The good morning, good night thread  (Read 590046 times)
marc_chagall
« Reply #3795 on: April 01, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »

Rooting for you and hubby, Pharo.
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3796 on: April 01, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »

Damn. I'm just now finding out about this. That's a scary situation, but it sounds like he's going to be okay. We should all chip in on a get well gift for him. Maybe one of these: http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/campaigns/kube/kubex15.asp?SRCCODE=WEM3063EM&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM3063-_-tigeremail3063&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3063

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3797 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »

Thanks, fnord! I was actually afraid to click that link... but I did. Can't wait until I can get one!  grin
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3798 on: April 02, 2012, 04:00:26 AM »

Awesome, right? You know me too well. Usually, only people I've met in person know to run screaming from my recommendations.  rolleyes 

Life is an entanglement of lies to hide it's basic mechanisms. - William Burroughs
Rev. Austin
loves you like his own sister.
Critter

"WHERE'S MY MONKEY?!"

« Reply #3799 on: April 02, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »

I went to the dentists for the first time in my adult life yesterday (I've never signed up with one because my mum doesn't trust them, which is a very short and boring story). I spent Friday and Saturday with constant and intense toothache, and it turned out two of my back teeth have grown crooked, with one digging into the decay in the one in front of it (I swear my dental hygiene is otherwise exemplary). Cue a tooth removal. Hurray! My friend picked me up because I felt a bit wobbly afterwards, and she said I looked like I'd had a stroke - the nurses had told me I'd had a very strong reaction to the anaesthetic (three syringes of the stuff!) but I didn't know what they meant. Took ages to wear off. And I can safely say I never want to repeat any of it again. 

http://thissentenceishaunted.com
"Words to make you wet your pants."
JonP
Critter

« Reply #3800 on: April 02, 2012, 06:04:08 PM »

Gosh, first time here for some time, so I missed the news from Pharo - really hope things are improving. Must be awful, being in limbo like that.

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3801 on: April 02, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »

How are things with you, Jon -- keeping busy? smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3802 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »

I went to the dentists for the first time in my adult life yesterday (I've never signed up with one because my mum doesn't trust them, which is a very short and boring story). I spent Friday and Saturday with constant and intense toothache, and it turned out two of my back teeth have grown crooked, with one digging into the decay in the one in front of it (I swear my dental hygiene is otherwise exemplary). Cue a tooth removal. Hurray! My friend picked me up because I felt a bit wobbly afterwards, and she said I looked like I'd had a stroke - the nurses had told me I'd had a very strong reaction to the anaesthetic (three syringes of the stuff!) but I didn't know what they meant. Took ages to wear off. And I can safely say I never want to repeat any of it again. 

It's no fun at all going to the dentist, is it? They're thugs in white coats, that's all. Let's face it, they hurt you, and then demand payment. In any other walk of life that kind of behaviour results in a prison sentence.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
fnord33
Critter

« Reply #3803 on: April 02, 2012, 08:57:11 PM »

[It's no fun at all going to the dentist, is it? They're thugs in white coats, that's all. Let's face it, they hurt you, and then demand payment. In any other walk of life that kind of behaviour results in a prison sentence.

Very true. A lot of my earliest memories are of my first dentist hitting on the nurses instead of looking at what he was doing while he was hurting the inside of my mouth. I have a good one now, though. He's this super-nice, dopey guy that reminds me of Ed Helms. He's actually hard to hate.

Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #3804 on: April 02, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »

The dentist I had for many years before he retired was so mild-mannered and sincere he reminded me of Mr. Rogers. He dedicated his career to helping people overcome their fear of dentistry.

Hubby is still under sedation and on the ventilator, but there are some positive signs; his labs are improving every day and he was making more spontaneous movement of arms and legs. He had an EEG today, and tomorrow I should find out the results. Finally got to talk to the surgeon who assisted in the operation and who's taken over his care. She seems very experienced and gave me some additional information that I'd been wanting.

My boss is very understanding and has said I can take another two days off and then we'll see where things stand.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3805 on: April 03, 2012, 02:41:13 AM »

Sounds encouraging. I think women make better surgeons than men. The men can turn into ham fisted egomaniacs, but I think women are more likely, predisposed even, to be gentle with their hands and more caring in their attitude.

The surgeon who was supposed to perform my wife's cesarean was like Lord Flashheart when we met him -- jolly, yet pompous at the same time. We imagined him bounding into the operating room dressed as Zorro. Needless to say, my wife wouldn't let him anywhere near her.

Had some good news here. We got that contract I was talking about. Close to a quarter of a million pounds worth afro Should keep the wolf from the door for a little while longer. The guy sent us an eighty grand deposit, too. Unreal Shocked

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #3806 on: April 03, 2012, 06:17:03 AM »

Still got everything crossed for you, Pharo!

Nice contract, Ed. If nothing else it brings some peace of mind financially, although I suspect it means lots of hard work, too.

It's a new financial year - was hoping for some change in a few of the priorities at work. Alas, there are simply new priorities in addition to all of the old ones.  bangh

Del

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #3807 on: April 03, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »

Ed, I respectfully disagree with the statement about female doctors. At least over here, and with my experience. I tried three different female obgyns and they were all rude and harsh and cold. Female nurses, on the other hand, seem to be angels.

That's good about your contract.  cheers

Del: more work for the same money? Sounds  bangh alright. My biggest concern right now is whether or not to cut my son's bangs myself. It's nice to not have any personal worries at the moment (knock on wood).

Pharo: Still thinking about you. I don't know about you, but I don't know how I'd be able to return to work with all that going on. Then again, it might be a distraction.
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #3808 on: April 03, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »

Excellent advance on your contract there, Ed. Imagine if that was for a book you were writing instead of the real work you do!

Fingers still knitted for your hubby, Pharo.

Looks like I'll be the short fiction judge for the Helen Whittaker prize this year. No trying to curry favour all you competitors, though I could send you a list of things I would like...

Ed
Administrator

« Reply #3809 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »

I'll start the bidding at a virtually unused bicycle puncture repair kit and a set of plastic tyre levers afro

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 [254] 255 256 257 258 ... 323 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx