News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

The good morning, good night thread

Started by Ed, October 22, 2007, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Austin

Really good to hear about your husband, Pharo!  :afro:

Today brings some much needed respite for me - spending the whole day with my band in our studio, recording  :cheers: This is technically the first day off I've had in a few weeks - My friend and I have left our art collective and started a new one, due to the third person in our previous one being....let's just say 'difficult'. My friend and I are relieved, but it means we have to set up a whole new business, and everything that entails  :cheesy:  :buck: we're confident this hasn't affected our professional standing (other art/council folks we work with have been notified and they've all said 'We're surprised it's taken this long for you to do it' which is both surprising and a little worrying - clearly, everyone else saw the nonsense we had to deal with...). Anyway, I'm off to write music! Have a good Sunday everyone!
facebook.com/waynegoodchildishaunted
Stay in touch! I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Ed

Good luck, Rev. Sounds like a chance to start again, but half way up the ladder :afro:

Pharo -- glad to hear the good news. I'm sure the speech will come around in the next few weeks. The brain is surprisingly resilient, and it's only been a short while since the trauma, hasn't it? I bet it's felt like the longest week of your life, though.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

marc_chagall

Great to hear the good news, Pharo. Regarding brain things; I lost the ability to read in my twenties due to brain damage (caused by severe concussion in my case) but it came back after a few weeks. The brain repairs itself from trauma remarkably well.

I've spent most of this morning backing up everything from my pc onto an external hard drive, and updating everything on my laptop (last done ten months ago, so as you can imagine, there were a LOT of updates). Next job is to transfer the last ten months' worth of documents, pictures etc onto the laptop from the hard drive, and then back up the whole lot onto a pen drive. Of course, if one does this stuff once a week it only takes a few minutes, but which of us ever remember that simple fact? Hours of fun still ahead of me...

delboy

I cycled to the river this morning:

http://youtu.be/QJW38qxrgD0

Can tell you it gets the heart racing standing next to nature when she does stuff like this!

Kind regards,

Derek
"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker

Pharosian

Thanks, everyone!  :afro:

Derek, what WAS that? How'd that wave start?

marc_chagall

Brilliant! Heard of the Severn bore, but never actually seen it. Here's the Wikipedia article on the phenomenon for those who are wondering how it happens. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_bore

starktheground

That's awesome! I'm still not sure that's just a wave. Looks a little magical to me.  ;) But who's to say nature isn't full of magic.

Happy Easter everyone, to whoever celebrates it. My kids are busy with their easter baskets, so I'm stealing a moment to check my email and such. Hope everyone has a good day!

Oh, and delph, that is crazy about how you lost the ability to read, but then it returned. I think I would rather lose any function other than that one.  :/ The brain is remarkable.

Geoff_N

Good news, Pharo :)

Great to see the Severn Bore again, Del. I canoed that bore when I was 16 with other kids from Cheltenham - the nearest we got to surfing :)

Caz

Been messing around with an animation programme, good fun to use and it's free. Managed to fix a small flag to the stern of the boat I use for my avatar and set it moving so it looks as if there's a wind. Checked it in the browser after I'd built the animation and it worked fine, loaded it up here and it's not working so fine. Ho hum, back to the drawing board. :scratch:
Some may say slaughtered is too strong a word...but I like the sound of it.

Ed

Quote from: Caz on April 10, 2012, 01:53:10 PM
Been messing around with an animation programme, good fun to use and it's free. Managed to fix a small flag to the stern of the boat I use for my avatar and set it moving so it looks as if there's a wind. Checked it in the browser after I'd built the animation and it worked fine, loaded it up here and it's not working so fine. Ho hum, back to the drawing board. :scratch:

Could be because it's a png -- not all browsers like them, and not all forums. If you can change it to a gif then it will probably work.  Which prog are you using?
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Caz

Quote from: Ed on April 10, 2012, 04:36:56 PM
Quote from: Caz on April 10, 2012, 01:53:10 PM

Could be because it's a png -- not all browsers like them, and not all forums. If you can change it to a gif then it will probably work.  Which prog are you using?

The programme I'm using is Gimp 2. Can't believe how good it is for something that free and it don't seem to be causing any problems with the vista system on my PC.
I've already saved it is a animated gif and mostly it works. I guess I'm doing something wrong, not sure what though. Any thoughts on the problem will be appreciated. And in the meantime I'll have a look at the gimp forum. Cheers.

Ed

I've never tried it, but I've heard plenty of people say Gimp is good. It's the open source equivalent of Photoshop.

I messed around with doing a few animated gifs and pngs backalong, using imageready, but that was a while ago. Made the Cafedoom animated snow banner that I put up at Christmas, plus a few other bits and pieces. Not sure I could do it again without hitting a few tutorials for a refresher course, though. Can't remember much about it :scratch:

starktheground

I have an annoying cold and can't seem to focus on anything today. So much fpr being productive today. I'm curled up on the couch with my laptop and Kindle, letting the kids have free reign. They're having fun at leasy.

Caz

I've solved the problem with my animated gif. It seems that when I uploaded the file to the cafe it was reduced in size to 70 by 59 pixels - my original file was 100 by 85 -  and turned into a png file which don't support animation. So I reduced the original file in size saved it as a gif and the wind does blow.  :cool:

marc_chagall